Anyone calling any yotes?

Guest Rem_700

Just pop'em while you deer hunt, one of my bud's saw 9 in the first gun hunt and got 5 of them. They seem to be pickin up pretty good here in Cocke County, I just cant seem to get time to hunt either. $200 on a lease and $136 on my license with a total of 5 hrs. in the woods WORK sucks and momma workin on the days I'm off really sucks!!!!!! :poop:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster

I don't know how to call em, but I've shot 2 females and missed a big black one that looked as big as a german shepard deer hunting. I looked at him, and I was like, geebus, I don't want to pop somebody's fido. Then I watched him hop 2 or 3 times, and saw the tail, and took a shot at him moving at about a buck fifty and missed. I'm kicking myself. I bet he went 60-65 pounds.

I'm thinking about getting an expensive johnny horton electronic gizmo to call them in. Seem to be alot of them this year, all over.

Guest Mugster
I wouldn't mind breaking out the Bushmaster and doing it. I again have no idea where to start and I only drive a motorcycle and a sports car so I don't hunt much obviously.

Its actually pretty easy to do.

On public land, unless its big game season, I *think* your limited to rimfire and shotgun with no buckshot. Which makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich, but there it is. I'm going to call some TWRA guys and see what exactly is legal. I was looking at ordering 11 pounds of size T shot for the shotgun.

You can hunt em with dogs or by calling. Unless you have someone to learn off of, its pretty hard to call one in. The electronics work great...pricey. I may try to build one, i dunno.

Here's a link:

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/IMB/It_s_Time_For_Predator_Hunting.shtml

Its actually pretty easy to do.

On public land, unless its big game season, I *think* your limited to rimfire and shotgun with no buckshot.<SNIP>

i dont think thats right, i'm pretty sure the rule is that when a big game season is open you have to hunt them with a big game legal caliber/rifle/handgun. i hunt them in the off season with just about everything, .223, .22-250, .243...you get the idea.

Guest Mugster
i dont think thats right, i'm pretty sure the rule is that when a big game season is open you have to hunt them with a big game legal caliber/rifle/handgun. i hunt them in the off season with just about everything, .223, .22-250, .243...you get the idea.

First, .223 and all the rounds you listed are big game legal in tn.

It may vary by WMA a bit or if its just a forrest. Also the guy running the place you shoot on may not care. Or there may be another rulebook, and, possibly once the small game season runs out (for the meat animals), the rules change.

But on page 41 of the wmaseasons.pdf guide, it says, and I quote:

"Rifles and handguns using centerfire ammunition are legal for hunting ... coyotes..., only during deer season and the hunter must be a licensed legal deer hunter. Coyotes may be taken on any hunt, but only with the weapon that is legal for that hunt."

And its NOT legal to use centerfire anything on small game in tn on public land.

They also lump coyote in with small game here:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/smallgamehunt.html

I don't like it, and won't report anyone, but the way I live my life I have to follow the rules. If you know of a different rulebook or have a state wildlife officer I can call and talk to, that would be great.

Course if you can find enough private land to hunt, it doesn't make much difference.

Edited by Mugster

ok, if that is the case what about this scenario...there is no set season on Coyotes...they are just like groundhogs, open all year round. what is a legal means if there is no other season open, say in late May, June, and July after turkey season has closed and before squirrel season opens?

Guest Mugster
ok, if that is the case what about this scenario...there is no set season on Coyotes...they are just like groundhogs, open all year round. what is a legal means if there is no other season open, say in late May, June, and July after turkey season has closed and before squirrel season opens?

I have no idea. I called a couple WMA's today, but nada. I'll try again tomorrow. They have nothing in the supplemental rules about size T shot, so I speculate that its legal to use. Which is fine for my purposes, one way or the other.

I'll post whatever I find out. And I'll ask specifically about odd centerfire rounds like .17 remington and whatnot.

Back when I had a thing for crow hunting, before my buddy shot the stuffing out of my speaker and my fake owl, the same rules as small game season *used* to apply out at cheatham WMA, once rabbit and squirrel passed. You could use #4 shot and no larger. No centerfire. Thats been more years ago than i want to admit though.

.17 HMR works wonders as a rim fire. I have taken ground hogs @ 150 yrds and when/if I see a yote, it'll be on like Donkey Kong.:dropjaw:

i'm afraid you'll be surprised if you ever pull the trigger on one...i've seen many 'yotes lost to the mighty HMR. a buddy of mine had one he just thought was the best varmint caliber ever, until he lost 3 in a row...

Its all about shot placement.

I have also used the .17 for some hellofashots on javalena.

I have a .17/22-250 being built.My buddy has one,its center fire 22-250 necked to a .17

I have fun with my .22 hornet,it's a tack driver and cntr fire.

Guest Fenris

OK, back to 'yotes :)

I received permission today from a landowner to hunt all the yotes I want as long as I call and clear with him before I go out there. He showed me around his place and I gave him one of the TWRA yellow landowner permission cards to fill out and he will get it to me later this week.

I'm going ot hunt deer out there this week, since I've only got one week to put some sort of deer int he freezer.

I have an old mp3 player and some batter powered speakers. I also have a reed call for predators.

Any tips? It seems to me I should get into a field and face the thickest brush pile in the fence row as I have read that's where they tend to come out from. I've shot at coyotes I've seen trailing deer, but I've never hunted for them specifically.

I plan on using my Mosin.

Guest Mugster

I hunt alot of private land. I always get written permission like your doing, good job, imo. Carry it with you and jot down the guys phone number, in case a neighbor comes over. If your going to let loose with something big, keep an eye on neighboring houses and where the neighboring stock might be.

First, I'm not a good varmint hunter in general. Let me make that plain. I'm mostly a dove/quail/rabbit man with a taste for venison.

These farmland coyotes go for specific stuff. They know the land. They know everything about the place, and where the people are. Got to use calls that mimic what you have there. If they have chickens close by, try a chicken call. You need good 360 cover and camo. A blind that works with deer might not cut the mustard with coyote. I'd also scout the place well, look for tracks and scat. Yotes are territorial, they mark their boundaries with scat. Try to figure out how they move across the land. Set up something that moves like a strip of plastic or a feather where they can see it and focus on it visible from where you think they'll come from. Putting the speakers in a barn or a shed has worked for me before.

If you get a deer, stake out the guts the next morning. They'll probably already be gone, but whatever got it might come back for seconds. I've bagged a couple doing that in past years, if I have the energy. Usually bagging a deer and dressing the thing and hauling it to the cutter is all i have in me for a couple days.

I'm trying to bag one now that eats dog food left out on a neighboring porch. I'm at a loss as to what call to use. The thing comes in about the same time every morning, but uses a different route each time. Crafty little SOB.

Guest Fenris

Thanks for the tips. As far as 360 cover, are things like Ghillie suits legal for yotes? My knees still have some wear and tear and I'd be OK laying prone on a ridge int he field overlooking a lower area.

Thanks for the tips. The land owner and I discussed shooting lanes yesterday and I plan on walking the place a couple more times before I pull out the Mosin. For deer I'm only hunting a small field with a 30-30 until I know the lay of the land better.

Thanks again for the tips. I've heard they're crafty. Hopefully if we get some cold weather after deer season that will make them hungry and foolish.

Guest Mugster

I think full camo is legal once big game season is over. Going to have to dig that out of the rules though.

If you figure out a surefire coyote formula, let me know. I can use all the help i can get :up:

Guest Mugster

I scored a stewart PM3 to help out my terrible calling. Mebbe I'll hunt up a few this year, if i can stay away from the speaker.

Recommend me a howler. I can't do it with vocal cords.

I bought my E-Caller off of ebay from timberghost I think and I have been more than pleased with it. I do recommend a good coyote C/D with nothing but coyote calls on it like call crazy coyote C/D from T&M outdoors show. They sell them on ebay. I also use a mouth call as they get close. I like the Lil' Dog Coyote Call by Primos.

Guest Mugster

That stewart rig comes with some flash chips for the calls, and a wired remote. So I think I got that covered. I'm looking for a locating howler. I've tried just rearing back and letting loose, but, I just can't can't crank it out like some can.

i put a cheap call together i ordered a call speaker with a 150 foot wire,then got a cheap ipod and downloaded the calls off of allcalls.com i use the call sequences that they reccomended it seems to do its job i have taken three males with it last year i know its not much but it works fairly well for about 50 bucks. the speaker was $18 and the i-pod was $30

i put a cheap call together i ordered a call speaker with a 150 foot wire,then got a cheap ipod and downloaded the calls off of allcalls.com i use the call sequences that they reccomended it seems to do its job i have taken three males with it last year i know its not much but it works fairly well for about 50 bucks. the speaker was $18 and the i-pod was $30

Hey whatever works. I picked my E-call up for around 70 bucks with a predator calling C/D. I will try and get some pics of my set up.

Hey whatever works. I picked my E-call up for around 70 bucks with a predator calling C/D. I will try and get some pics of my set up.

welll i would post pics of mine but it probably wouldnt impress yall much, just a camo speaker and white ipod. just got into coyote hunting in the past couple of years, i just try all sorts of different things and if it dont work a scratch it off of my list, and most of it doesnt work. i do have a question though, is it illeagal to hunt over a carcus i have a friend who has a cattle company and we always hear yotes howling around the boneyards day and night its kind of odd to hear them howl in the middle of the day for me, but i dont know if that would be considered baiting what do yall think?

Edited by jdavis

I'm thinking after this really cold snap we are going to have, that some certain canids might be a bit on the hungry side.

Might try it Friday afternoon.