Holster Screws and "sticky" material?

Guest tadams

I'm looking for a source for tension adjustment screws like those that are used on some holsters, such as the MTAC. I definitely need either brass or stainless and am not opposed to synthetics either. These will have to hold up in lateral stress conditions in a rear pocket holster environment.

Also looking for something to grip inside the pocket and keep a holster from slipping out on the draw... kind of like either the Desantis Nemesis, Superfly, or similar. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks ahead of time.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for a source for tension adjustment screws like those that are used on some holsters, such as the MTAC.....

They are just "chicago screws", or "post screws" are they not? I've bought them at Ace Hardware for a couple of projects, available in metal or plastic, different length posts.

- OS

597.jpg

• Administrator
Might need a rubber bushing for "push back" tension (or not).

Holster makers recommend a drop of locktite once you get it where you want it, too.

- OS

Yep! Comp-Tac uses a bit of rubber tube cut to about 1/2" in length as their bushings. It's pretty effective but they become deformed over time, which makes them difficult to line up properly if you take a holster apart for any reason.

Guest Verbal Kint
Yep! Comp-Tac uses a bit of rubber tube cut to about 1/2" in length as their bushings. It's pretty effective but they become deformed over time, which makes them difficult to line up properly if you take a holster apart for any reason.

Over time? Hell... my MTAC's rubber bushings were a PITA to get back on, when I first bought the holster and swapped the mounting clips. ;)

I bought a pair of Comp-Tac clips just to replace metal ones on my Bullard.

I ordered the "extra hardware" screws, which came with those rubber jobbies, but I didn't need them...actually, didn't even need the screws either, as it turned out.

As you Comp-Tackers know, the Comp-Tac screws have allen wrench fitting instead of normal screwdriver one.

- OS

Post, Chicago screws... yeah, that's what they're called! Thanks! But where do you find them that have the means to "lock in" to the leather and keep from turning, when you can only get to the screw side and not the post, to hold it down?

A t-nut (the kind used in woodworking) has barbs to keep it from spinning. Check the hardware stores for them and the chicago post. If you get to nashville Tandy leather on Nolensville Rd has hardware.

As far as something rough are you making a new holster or trying to change an old one? Leather turned rough side out has a pretty good grip.

A t-nut (the kind used in woodworking) has barbs to keep it from spinning. Check the hardware stores for them and the chicago post. If you get to nashville Tandy leather on Nolensville Rd has hardware.

As far as something rough are you making a new holster or trying to change an old one? Leather turned rough side out has a pretty good grip.

Yeah, Ace had some with bases like you describe, 3 barbs that stick into whatever to anchor the bases.

- OS

Thanks for all the insight, folks. I really do appreciate it.

MW and all - as for the "sticky" sided material... yes, I am making a holster, but I won't be using leather turned rough side out. I'm looking for a more modern, finished look and the grade leather I'm using is really too slick to work well for that purpose. I'm also needing to build up a level across that face of the holster and am really hoping to use a synthetic material approximately 1/16" thick, similar to those by DeSantis.

Anybody else got any more ideers?

Guest Verbal Kint

Moleskin?

Neoprene? Wetsuit type material? Mouse pad, with the rubberized bottom?

Or are you actually wanting something "sticky" like an adhesive feel?

:koolaid:

Edited by Verbal Kint

Neoprene is a dandy idea if I can get it. By sticky, I only mean that it holds in the pocket. I keep referencing the two synthetic DeSantis options because I've felt of each and know that they work. They are both about the right thickness and they also have water shedding capability rendering them perfect for keeping sweat out of the leather.

Edited by tadams