Glock 17 Slide Issue

Went shooting this week and suddenly shooting 2 inches left with my Glock 17 Gen 3.  I figure it is me so I slow down and focus on fundamentals.  Grip and trigger press.  No matter what I do, I shoot left.  Good groups, but left.  I give it to a buddy of mine who shoots Glocks and he shoots left as well.  He picks up his own Glock 17 and he shoots great.  So, I set it down and start shooting my CZ with no issues.

I bring my Glock home and break it down and find a small chunk out of the slide.  Almost appears the slide lock is digging into the metal???.  I don't use the slide lock to go to battery.  I grab the slide, pull back and let it fly forward.  See pic (hope it works).  Interested to see everyone's thoughts. 

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4C987C5A12473F81!65799&authkey=!AKiuOc1ebqyZaDE&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

will post more pics later

redir?resid=4C987C5A12473F81!65799&authk

image.jpeg

Edited by phiferran
23 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Broken or mis-positioned slide stop spring ??

I did take the slide stop out and checked it. Seemed ok-but I did have a glock OEM extended slide stop in for a couple of weeks. I didn't like it so much so I removed it and put the original back in. That was awhile back and it was shooting fine after that. This just popped up this week, but I wonder if I did have it misaligned.   Would that cause issues on both sides of the slide?

3 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

I wouldn't think so. Pics of the receiver might help, there's got to be matching wear somewhere.

I'll work on receiver pictures  when I get home.   I have been trying to find wear on it and I need to break out the magnifying glass.

18 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Thanks.  Slide on mine looks very close to the pic in that article.  I still have to find out why I started shooting 2" to the left at 7 yards all of a sudden. Could still be me--my old eyes are not seeing that front sight as clear as I used to. 

Since both you and your friend are shooting left it's quite possible that your rear sight could have shifted.  I wouldn't blame either your technique or your eyes as you are shooting centered groups with other handguns.

• Like 1

This is a conversation from the glocktalk forum (for what it's worth). Left rear rail may allow the rear of the slide to torque to the right. 

Their words, not mine 

"By the way, I've had rails break off of two Glocks. Both were the left rear rails. I'm guessing those left rear rails are exposed to more torquing or force. I don't know if it's upward or downward force though, probably due to the rifling/barrel twist."

just curious, did the serial # of these two glocks that you broke start with E?

Yes, my G23gen3 was one of the problematic models which started with an "E"; my G31gen3 was a much later serial number, starting with "S". When I first called Glock, they advised not to send it in unless it breaks, as not all "E" s/n'd guns will break. A few thousand rounds later, it broke.

• Like 1
On 5/14/2016 at 3:46 PM, Hydor said:

Since both you and your friend are shooting left it's quite possible that your rear sight could have shifted.  I wouldn't blame either your technique or your eyes as you are shooting centered groups with other handguns.

Hydor is correct.  I went back to the basics and my bore sight showed my sights were off.  Adjusted the rear sight and I am back in business.  I also showed my slide to a friend of mine that is a glock armorer.  He said not to worry about it and that issue is not uncommon in older glock 17's like mine. 

Thanks to all of you for reminding me to go back to fundamentals and not assume anything!!!!