Removal of Cosmoline

Almond27

I just purchased two older Military rifles and both have cosmo on them in the bolt and chamber area. I have never had to deal with cleaning cosmo before and was wondering what is the best way to remove it? I had a friend tell me brake cleaner but I wasn't wanting to damage the finish and or parts of the gun. So I guess my question is what is the safest way to remove the cosmo out the bolt area's and what is the safest thing to use when doing this? The rifles are a Swiss K31 and a Mosin Nagant 91/59, purchased from 141FE a great guy to deal with I might add. Thanks for your help and Have a great Holiday season!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Traumaslave

Brake cleaner/carb cleaner. Use it on all of my firearm cleaning. Just be sure to oil all metal surfaces after. Remove from the stocks to get all of the cosmo off cause when they heat up, you'll find cosmo you didn't know you had.

Guest Astra900

Set it outside on top of a piece of sheet metal this summer. Keep some acetone and some rags handy. Keep it wiped off. If you are patient, you can sun bake it for several hours at a time, and get a good portion of it out. ...worked for my M-44.

BTW, I once sawed a busted Mosin stock in half just past the wrist. The cosmoline was soaked in over a 3/8 inch deep!!! Those russians sure know how to prevent rust and rot!

Take your rifle apart. Clean the stock and the metal parts separately. The metal parts should soak over night in kerosene, then spray liberally with brake cleaner to get all the cosmo off. Make sure the firing pin channel is ultra clean.

Stocks: well, clean them off real good with kerosene, then as someone suggested, put your stocks in the hot sun for a few hours, and then clean again with mineral spirits. It may take several cleanings to get most of the cosmo out. You will never get it all out, because the wood soaks it up.

Brake cleaner/carb cleaner. Use it on all of my firearm cleaning. Just be sure to oil all metal surfaces after. Remove from the stocks to get all of the cosmo off cause when they heat up, you'll find cosmo you didn't know you had.

This process works like a charm. Get a couple of cans and just hose the gun and all parts down until you're where you want to be and then oil it up and go.

Cool, thanks for all the suggestions so far I think I'm heading out to Wally World for some brake cleaner today, if anyone has any other methods please post as it might be useful to me or someone who has this same question later on down the road.

Guest Traumaslave

For the stocks, I boiled mine. I have done about a dozen SKS's and a hand full of Mosin Nagants. An old turkey fryer is all you need. My stocks came out great!

Guest gcrookston

Having cleaned fair share of guns free of Cosmoline, I would recommend Gasoline for the wood, Brake cleaner for the metal. I do not recommend brake cleaner for wood, as it will draw out the oils and dry out the wood.

On my Mosin I disassembled the bolt and put it in a pan of boiling water. For the barrel I stood it up outside and poured boiling water down the barrel until it ran clean. The metal heats up enough that the water evaporates almost immediately.

Make sure the water is boiling hot and wipe everything down good afterwards. Follow up with some gun oil and I haven' thad a problem with it since.

I might have gotten lucky and gotten one without a lot of cosmo.

Edited by Fenris