WTF - Burress home searched

Guest nraforlife

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nraforlife
No insurance on his car either? What a dumbass.

Him being a dumbass is without question. However, why the frick are the police searching his house and who gives a rats ass over the amount of guns he has if he isn't doing anything illegal. God, forbid the cops raid any of our houses, not mine since I think I sold all of my guns to someone who looks like Plaxico down by the projects, for any trumped up reason.:stick:

I by no means am a Burris fan but what relevance is the suitcase full of money? Yes he is a dumba$$ for not getting a safe and properly storing the money but either way, now he is a prime target for a home invasion/robbery/burglary, and he has NO guns! His family's safety is now seriously in jeopardy. The police should be held responsible for mentioning the cash in the first place.

It is obvious that he commetted a crime when he had an illegal firearm and shot himself. The police where probably searching for more unregistered firearms. When you are well known you have to stay out of sight and act in a professional manner. Sounds like stupidity is getting the best of him. Hope he doesn't turn out to be another pac-man.

.... Hope he doesn't turn out to be another pac-man.

My guess is he won't because he will not play in the NFL again if he gets convicted of the two weapons charges and serves jail time. I believe the D.A. is looking for jail time in his case as to make the statement that no one is above the law in New York.

My guess is he won't because he will not play in the NFL again if he gets convicted of the two weapons charges and serves jail time. I believe the D.A. is looking for jail time in his case as to make the statement that no one is above the law in New York except anyone with enough money AND political influence..and the DA of course...they're ALL above the law....
There, fixed that for you.
Guest Revelator
My guess is he won't because he will not play in the NFL again if he gets convicted of the two weapons charges and serves jail time. I believe the D.A. is looking for jail time in his case as to make the statement that no one is above the law in New York.

Two years ago they changed the New York law under which Plax is charged. It is now mandatory jail time. Meaning that if you are convicted of that charge you must serve time. It doesn't allow the judge to give out probation. The only way Burress gets around this is if the prosecutors reduce the charge, and I'd agree that they don't seem to be in a negotiating mood.

While I really don't care why they are searching his house, I do care that they are stupid enough to make him and his family a future target. They should have never mentioned anything inside the home unless it was illegal and seized. To do so allows the turds of the world to know what another person has and that he has no protection. The actions of the fools (officers, DA, etc...) should be held liable for their actions if anything occurs. Well, rant off. :rolleyes:

The police should be held responsible for mentioning the cash in the first place.

Did I miss something?

The story says the New York Post is where the suitcase full of money statement came from; but the Police Chief said it is not true.

<O:p</O:p

Apparently a Judge thought that shooting yourself with an unlicensed gun was PC for a search warrant to look for other unlicensed guns.

<O:p</O:p

Guest bkelm18
No insurance on his car either? What a dumbass.

If you were worth millions of dollars, would you have car insurance if it weren't required by law in your state?

Guest bkelm18
insurance is required in n.j.

Well there ya go. It just seems people are freaking out (not just on here) that he doesn't have car insurance. Sure, its required in his state, but I mean, he's got the money so its not like he needs it.

Registration of firearms is not required in New Jersey, which is different than New York requiring a carry license to possess a handgun and registering the handgun. They do have to get a pistol purchase permit from the state police to buy a handgun. They also have to get a license to carry it in public, if of course they are lucky enough to get a license in New Jersey. I find odd that the guy's home in New Jersey was searched over a firearms charge in New York. Who got the warrant?

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly
Registration of firearms is not required in New Jersey.......................Who got the warrant?

Or, how did they get the warrant? That's an affidavit I'd like to read.

Registration of firearms is not required in New Jersey

New Jersey law requires a firearms identification card and a permit for each gun, Blakeley said. “We do not have any paperwork on these guns,†he said.

I find odd that the guy's home in New Jersey was searched over a firearms charge in New York. Who got the warrant?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/sports/football/25burress.html?ref=football

The police said Wednesday that officers from Totowa, N.J., and New York City executed a search warrant at Burress’s home Tuesday afternoon. They said they had taken a 9-millimeter handgun, a rifle and ammunition for .380-, .40- and .45-caliber weapons.

Blakeley said that the warrant had been issued in Passaic County Superior Court and that it had been requested by the New York City police. He said he did not have further information about the warrant.

Yes, NJ does require residents to have a firearms card to own and a permit to buy. I thought NJ had voluntary handgun registration and in effect the permit to buy a handgun registers the handgun with NJ State Police.

I guess NYPD has a strong working relationship with New Jersey local and state police to be able to get a search warrant over a firearms violation in NY, and on top of it go with NJ police to execute the search warrant in NJ.

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly
Yes, NJ does require residents to have a firearms card to own and a permit to buy. I thought NJ had voluntary handgun registration and in effect the permit to buy a handgun registers the handgun with NJ State Police.

I guess NYPD has a strong working relationship with New Jersey local and state police to be able to get a search warrant over a firearms violation in NY, and on top of it go with NJ police to execute the search warrant in NJ.

It simply looks like N.J. police had probable cause to believe that a N.J. statute had been violated. They went and told a judge about guns that were in his possession that weren't properly registered. That's certainly enough for a SW.

The law sucks, but I don't see any ground to challenge the SW. A challenge would be especially difficult since NJ uses Illinois v. Gates to determine whether or not probable cause exists. It's a much lower standard than what we use here in Tennessee and in a handful of other states.