Refinish Job - Springfield Marine Corps Operator

• Administrator

Yesterday my friend Angelo and I spent the day refinishing his Springfield Marine Corps Operator frame. Work done was essentially:

• Media blast the frame.

• Refinish using Stainless Steel Norrell's Moly Resin.

• Polish slide to frame interface.

The firearm comes with an Olive Drab frame as shown in the first photo (not mine). The results are in the subsequent photos. The black smudges on the frame are from lube.

001047.large.jpg

SpringfieldMCOperator0001.jpg

SpringfieldMCOperator0002.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redbarron06

What makes it a USMC Operator? The green frame? I have the same gun but all black and I put Pack legand seriers grips on mine.

• Administrator
What makes it a USMC Operator? The green frame? I have the same gun but all black and I put Pack legand seriers grips on mine.

Don't take this as gospel, but from what I remember reading the MC Operator and the Kimber Warrior were similar to their two companies respective entries in the USMC MEU 1911 project.

I found an article on the Springfield MC Operator here:

SPRINGFIELD’S MC OPERATOR PISTOL | Soldier of Fortune

• Administrator
Nice!

I've always liked the MC Operator, but wasn't sure how I felt about the OD frame.

I really like what you guys have done with it. How does the stainless color look up close?

The next time I have a chance, I'll get Angelo to let me take pics using my DSLR. Those pics were taken with my wife's Canon point and shoot and the color isn't the best.

The stainless moly looks like stainless steel. It's really nice looking.

Guest redbarron06
Don't take this as gospel, but from what I remember reading the MC Operator and the Kimber Warrior were similar to their two companies respective entries in the USMC MEU 1911 project.

I found an article on the Springfield MC Operator here:

SPRINGFIELD’S MC OPERATOR PISTOL | Soldier of Fortune

I'll buy that for a dollar. Makes as much sense as anything else. I should also add that I love my operator except it is hard to find holsters because of the rails.

Edited by redbarron06
Guest eyebedam

That looks great. I may have access to a pretty rough 1911 operator if you feel like doing another. I'd be interested in watching the entire process.

Edited by eyebedam
  • Administrator

Angelo got a free pass into the garage since he's spent just about as much time in there wrenching on cars as I have. :( But the truth is, spraying moly-resin requires a really good respirator mask and I've only got one of those and don't want to risk anyone else being exposed to the MEK solvents used in the process. Even Angelo retreated into the house while I shot the finish. I won't be allowing audiences in the refinishing process; sorry.

• Administrator

What kind of rifle? If it can be disassembled into pieces small enough to fit into my existing oven, I can do it sooner than later. If it's too large for that, I'm still assembling the pieces to build a large curing oven.