Ruger SR 9 upgrades?

Guest cdsusong

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

watch. if you hand over your slide i'll hand it back to you sans mag DC in about 30 seconds and you'll get a good laugh when you see how easy it is...

How many hands does this take? I can't figure this out. It looks like I have to push down the striker blocker, press somewhere at the metal tab near the striker, stick a paper clip in the back, and push down on the back plate all at the same time! It ain't working for me...

just occurred to me why it probably isn't working out for you...

think of it as a 2 step process:

(1) push down on the striker blocker button and make sure the tab on the striker assembly is as far forward as it will go with the button pushed in.

then, no need to be pressing or touching the striker blocker button or striker tab thing, you're done with that step...

(2) stick a paper clip or whatever into the small hole in the back-plate (you're pushing down a little spring loaded tab inside there that is keeping the back-plate from sliding out), while pushing it in, all you have to do is get the back-plate started out a bit and then you'll be able to let go of the implement and slide the back-plate out the rest of the way.

voila. the striker assembly will come right out and then you can discard the mag dc.

Edited by CK1

(1) push down on the striker blocker button and make sure the tab on the striker assembly is as far forward as it will go with the button pushed in.

See, the rub is there. The tab won't move forward (toward the chamber). It only moves rearward (toward the plate). ?

Guest cdsusong

Press the round button near the chamber down, then you may have to press down a little on the mag block, slide the striker toward the barrel maybe 1/8 of an inch, take a small allen wrench and press the pin in on the back plate and it will slide right off.

CK1, here is a pic (I hope) of where to cut the spring?

URL%5D

See, the rub is there. The tab won't move forward (toward the chamber). It only moves rearward (toward the plate). ?

sounds like you should move on to step 2...

although, as cdsusong said, you might have to push the mag dc in to get it to go all the way forward, if it's as far forward as it can go you should be all set to take the back-plate off.

Edited by CK1
9lbwnc.jpg

yeah. that's right. just start small w/ 1 coil at a time (maybe a bit less than where the tip of the pencil is in your pic), then do a little more in half coil increments, reassembling and checking it in between cuts/adjustments (not to beat a dead horse, but again, be mindful that taking too much out without knowing where the threshold of not leaving the spring w/ enough punch for the striker, is still a mystery... don't get too greedy until you've got a back-up spring from ruger for just in case).

Edited by CK1
Guest cdsusong

I believe I know what the issue was all along, seeing as how you are a "guitar player" of sorts, me being a drummer, no wonder I figured it out before you! Ha!

Guest cdsusong

yeah you are right, we are just human metronomes! Glad you got yours apart, now did you get it back together or do you need help with that? :hat:

huh? i don't even know what the mag dc could even have to do with that? take it apart and make sure you put it back together correctly (and after reassembly make sure you pull the ejecter up or insert a mag).

cdsusong, how'd the trigger fix work out for ya?

Edited by CK1
Guest cdsusong

Just got the trigger fix finished up. cut off about 2 coils and can feel a difference. Not as smooth as my 3.5 trigger in my glock but much better than factory. I believe I too will order another spring just in case I try to tweak this one a little more. Oh yeah, watch out for that flying spring when you knock the pin out of the striker! Luckily I was in my shop and had recently cleaned the floor. Found the spring, clipped it and slapped it back together. I am hopeful that I will get to try it out tomorrow. Thanks for all the info. Couldn't have done it without your help.

you're welcome. awesome. glad it worked out, it's a good fix that really isn't too hard to pull off and the trigger will get even better once you put some rounds through it. went shooting today and mine shoots so good now it's scary, the combination of the excellent thinness/grip/ergos with the new and improved trigger has me emptying full mags into 6" targets at 25 yards (w/ the usual perfect manners, 100% function)... if ruger sold them with the trigger like where i've got it they'd be selling twice as many or more!

Guest cdsusong

I am hoping that after I get some rounds through tomorrow, I will be loving this Ruger as much as my Glock. I have a good feeling about this one. Thanks again for all the help. If you hear of any more upgrades, let me know.