Homebrewing Beer

poak

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sharpshooter01

Anheuser-Busch usually brews mine, every now and then I'll let D.G. Yuengling & Son brew it. ;) Never had any home brew let us know how it turns out.

I got one of those, like in the late 90's from my BIL. You mixed it, put it in this bag, hung it on a closet door, you had to let the air out to relieve the pressure ever so often, and then it was ready in 6-8 weeks. It wasn't that good. Fun but not very good.

I have heard that today's home brew kits are very good, the quality is good and the different varieties that are out there are great.

Let us know!

I got one of those, like in the late 90's from my BIL. You mixed it, put it in this bag, hung it on a closet door, you had to let the air out to relieve the pressure ever so often, and then it was ready in 6-8 weeks. It wasn't that good. Fun but not very good.

I have heard that today's home brew kits are very good, the quality is good and the different varieties that are out there are great.

Let us know!

Haha, mine certainly doesn't have a bag you have to hang over a door ;)

Hopefully it'll turn out decent. I'll be sure to post my results!

Guest 70below

I used to brew beer in college.....I've had a couple of the kits that were decent, about on par with some of the standard beers you can get in the store. I would recommend picking up the book "Homebrewing: For Dummies", its actually a really good source of information on beer in general, and also features information that you would need to create your own beers from scratch. That is the best way to truly make a beer that is better than those you get in the store.....don't get me wrong....there is trial and error, but after a few efforts you really begin to reap the benefits!

Guest pjblurton

I've been homebrewing for a little over two years now. I have a Bière de Garde on tap right now, A Honey Wheat In the secondary fermenter that will be ready to keg next week and I am brewing an Oktoberfest tonight since I'm going to be up late...

It is BAR NONE the best way to go. There is not a commercial brew out there that is as good as my homebrew in my very humble opinion.

There are kits out there that are not worth your time and will make a marginal product so do some research. Be sure to start with good quality ingredients and keep everything CLEAN! Your patience and attention to detail will be rewarded.

The Brewing for Dummies book was the first homebrew book that I bought and I read it cover to cover before investing in any equipment. It was a HUGE help.

Since I keg all of my beer, I have a few cases unsued bottles and caps if you need them. They are the 22oz non-screw type lid.

Edited by pjblurton
My girlfriend bought be a home beer brewing kit for Christmas, and I'm anxious to try my hand at it.

Anybody else brew their own?

brewing since 2000. Make it 5 gallons at a time. I use kits from Alternative Beverage in Charlotte, NC. Other places on internet to buy from though. Take your time and don't hurry it. Give it time to age. I've found no less that 60 days after bottling. If you are using a Mr. Beer kit, you can't mess up. This is an all in one deal. After you have used it for a few months, ditch it for the 5 gallon at a time brewing. Nothing like a good homebrew ale!:chill:

Awesome! Thanks PJ!

The kit my GF gifted to me is pretty small and probably considered a very low-buck entry level kit, but I figure it'll be great for learning the ropes and deciding if it's a hobby I want to pursue further, then I'll upgrade my gear :chill:

Oh, and I'm DEFINETLY interested in those unused bottles and caps!

Edited by poak

Some guys I work with get together and home brew. Sounds like a good time. Many of them started with the "Mr. Beer" kits and they seem to have a pretty good opinion of them.

I had a friend who tried it in high school. Had to hide the container from his parents so it was stored outside under a shed. What came out of that container was not beer ... kinda like dirty water.

So, for those that have done this before, how did you "condition" your brew? In the fridge, or in the closet?

in the closet or a cool place. taste it every week. you will notice the difference after about 6 months of conditioning. make sure to sterilize your caps as well.

Guest pjblurton

My kegerator and brew supplies are in the laundry room. I close the vent in there so it stays pretty cold and leave the lights off. Its about 58 degrees in there right now... Prefect for lagering.

I have been a brewer for (too) many years. Started with kits (in England), then moved on to partial mash and now I am an all grain brewer.

May I suggest "Homebrewing for Dummies" by Marty Nachel, also the online resource by Steve Palmer (howtobrew.com). The guys at All Seasons are good people too.

If you have any questions please PM me.

Guest Mugster

First, I'm not a wine sniffer. I don't eat that foul smelling french cheese either.

But I do make a home brew. You don't need anything fancy to get some good tasting stuff. Total cost, about $5. Here's a recipe:

1. 2 quarts of fruit juice, no preservatives except ascorbic acid. I prefer cranberry juice, although apple cider is pretty good too. Grape is ok.

2. Empty milk jug with good sealing top.

3. One balloon and a pin.

4. 2 pounds of sugar.

5. 3 teaspoons of dried yeast.

I use iodine tablets from camping to sterilize the gallon jug. I heat water to boil in a pot (and also throw the funnel in there to sterilise it) and add 2 pounds of sugar. Pour the sugar water and juice in the gallon jug. Punch a small hole in the cap. Add a cup of orange juice or a good squeeze off a lemon, especially if no added vitamin C in the juice.

- use tap water, not distilled

- add the juice first and shake it up violently for a few minutes

- gotta get some O2 in there, so they say

Once the mix cools down to just warm, pour off a couple cups into a clean measuring cup. Throw the yeast in there and get it going. Stir it up real good.

Once its rolling pretty good, add to the gallon. Cap and take the pin and make a one hole clean through the upper half of the ballon. Put the ballon on the cap to seal it in. You'll make vinegar if the yeast gets oxygen. The ballon should partially inflate, and stay partially inflated until its done fermenting.

Now, you need a warm dark spot. I put mine next to the fridge with a big towell wrapped around it. Should be bubbling like crazy in 24 hours. It'll run pretty hard for a couple weeks. I find that 3 weeks makes a pretty strong wine that tastes sorta like boones farm...real sweet, but I let one gallon go 6-7 weeks. Its got some kick to it.

I put in the fridge when i need to stop it fermenting. Put it in there a couple days at least. Can pour off a quart as the yeast settles out. I bottle it up in mason jars. Its better drinking than you think. After a month or two, alot will settle to the bottom of the jar. It gets better and clearer with age. Keep it in the fridge...it can start fermenting again and pop your glass if your not careful.

Edited by Mugster
Guest pjblurton
First, I'm not a wine sniffer. I don't eat that foul smelling french cheese either.

But I do make a home brew. You don't need anything fancy to get some good tasting stuff. Total cost, about $5. Here's a recipe:

1. 2 quarts of fruit juice, no preservatives except ascorbic acid. I prefer cranberry juice, although apple cider is pretty good too. Grape is ok.

4. 2 pounds of sugar.

I use iodine tablets from camping to sterilize the gallon jug. I heat water to boil in a pot (and also throw the funnel in there to sterilise it) and add 2 pounds of sugar. Pour the sugar water and juice in the gallon jug. Punch a small hole in the cap. Add a cup of orange juice or a good squeeze off a lemon, especially if no added vitamin C in the juice.

Once the mix cools down to just warm, pour off a couple cups into a clean measuring cup. Throw the yeast in there and get it going. Stir it up real good.

Once its rolling pretty good, add to the gallon. Cap and take the pin and make a one hole clean through the upper half of the ballon. Put the ballon on the cap to seal it in. You'll make vinegar if the yeast gets oxygen. The ballon should partially inflate, and stay partially inflated until its done fermenting.

Now, you need a warm dark spot. I put mine next to the fridge with a big towell wrapped around it. Should be bubbling like crazy in 24 hours. It'll run pretty hard for a couple weeks. I find that 3 weeks makes a pretty strong wine that tastes sorta like boones farm...real sweet, but I let one gallon go 6-7 weeks. Its got some kick to it.

I put in the fridge when i need to stop it fermenting. Put it in there a couple days at least. Can pour off a quart as the yeast settles out. I bottle it up in mason jars. Its better drinking than you think. After a month or two, alot will settle to the bottom of the jar. It gets better and clearer with age. Keep it in the fridge...it can start fermenting again and pop your glass if your not careful.

That's AWESOME! Definately cheaper than my setup...

Guest db99wj

4. 2 pounds of sugar.

I like wine, I drank, my wife had one glass, a bottle of 3.99 wine last night. It was pretty decent, my friend at the liquor store recommended it, or basically said, try it, you won't be disappointed!

It was Crane Lake Mertlot. It was surprising, I have had some high dollar wine in the past that was way worse than this stuff...

Sorry for the hijack, had to mention this and didn't want to start a thread on my 3.99 bottle!!!!

4. 2 pounds of sugar.

I think the traditional wine making sounds better. Please take no offense, but this sounds like some type of hobo potion. When I make wine, I rack after fermentation, then several time during the next 30 days to take out lees and clean, clean, clean. Call me old fashioned :D

I think the traditional wine making sounds better. Please take no offense, but this sounds like some type of hobo potion. When I make wine, I rack after fermentation, then several time during the next 30 days to take out lees and clean, clean, clean. Call me old fashioned :doh:

I also like the traditional way. I try to rack/transfer mine every 30 days. After about 3 months I will bottle if there isn't any sediment.

Bottled 10 gallons last week. I try to let it age for a year after bottling but if it is good it only lasts for a month or two.

Okey

Guest Mugster
It put me in the mindset of some things I needed to add to a bug out bag so I could make some hooch while on the lam...

Exactly. If your out in the woods surviving, how long you going to last with no tv and nothing to drink?

Guest 70below

4. 2 pounds of sugar.

We were a bit less creative in college......but you can also try:

1 gallon jug of apple cider, empty a little head space out of the top of the bottle, throw in a handful of raisins or craisins (i prefer craisins), put a latex glove (or condom) over the top of the bottle and secure with a rubber band, place it in a warm place (in laundry room near the drier?) wait until the glove (or condom) inflates then deflates again. Its ready!! Enjoy!