What type of press would be best?

Guest seadooes

Guest seadooes

Hello,

I'm thinking of reloading 38,357,40,9mm,and 270,308. Would like progressive but not sure which would best suit me or functions the best. Wanted to see what the pro's had to say about it and give me some suggestions. It has been years since i reloaded which was only 270 for hunting. I was thinking about a dillion but tell me your thoughts please.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to beat a Dillon. I have a 550 that I load .44mag/spl on and really like it.

Was this your first press or did you start off with a single stage? Like the OP, I'm considering starting off with a progressive, specifically the 550.

The Dillion 550 is a great press. I have had one for over 10 years. I started with a RCBS Rock Chucker Kit. I then went to the Dillion. I load all my pistol calibers on the Dillion and rifle on my RCBS. You could do both on the Dillion. I have loaded rifle on my 550. There is just a lot more prep needed for a rifle case than a pistol case. Also there are odds and ends you will need to get started. Scales, calipers, etc..

I don't think the Dillons are made for larger rifle calibers like the 270 and 308. They'll be great for the handgun stuff, though. Most folks I know who load for rifles use a single stage like a Lee or RCBS. (Saw an RCBS on CSI Miami last night!)

There is so much more like trimming, neck sizing vs full length sizing, and the huge powder charges that some of the progressive presses aren't as flexible with. Also, the single stage presses are usually much stronger, and that becomes a little more important when sizing things like 308, etc. Oh, and a single stage is a really cheap add-on if you're already dropping the coin for a Dillon!

Take my words with a grain of salt (or maybe a PINCH of salt!), as I don't use a progressive at all.

Guest Astra900

AND watch out for foreign made brass marked 5.56. The flash hole is smaller and will give you many woes, atleast with Lee dies. I separate anything marked 5.56 and smash it w/ a hammer, just out of spite for breaking 2 different decapping pins.

I have had a Dillon RL 550 since 1985 or so. I have loaded everything on and yes, it can handle anything from a 25acp to a 460 Weatherby Magnum. That being said, I never load large rifle rounds on it because I don't shoot that way. I load all my pistol ammo and my 223 ammo for my AR's with it now. When I had a M1 Garand, I did some loads on the Dillon but I did not shoot it enough to do it often. As stated earlier, most of my bolt action and single shot rifle ammo gets trimmed, usually "neck sized only" if the round was fired in that rifle, powder charges get weighted, so forth and so on. Don't let me confuse you about powder charges in the Dillon, using ball or spherical powders that don't stack, the Dillon powder measure is dead on. It will accurately load any rifle caliber caliber of any size.

Once I used a neck sizer die in 223, using match primers, 55 grain Sierra Blitz bullets and fireformed cases, I loaded 50 rounds on the Dillon and 50 by hand on the Rock Chucker. I shot them against each other in a Sako heavy barrel Vixen I had at the time. There was no difference in group sizes between the rounds. Both shot around 3/8 to 1/2". Wish I still had that rifle. I did that to test if I ever had a chance to go west to hunt prairie dogs, I wouldn't need but around 250 cases for each rifle and I could reload them in the evening quickly on the Dillon. Never had the chance to go yet.

Thanks all. I have read about the 5.56 variances as well as problems with mill surplus. So far, I've collected a few hundred Remington and 200 or so Monarch, all .223. The Monarchs of course are Russian and I wasn't sure if they could be re-loaded or not. I just bought some digital calipers ($20 from Midway) when ordering shot gun supplies (have been reloading 12 ga. on a Mec 9000G and 20 ga. on a 650) and I have a very nice Dillon Digital scale. Now all I need is a 550, caliber conversions, dies, heads, tumbler/media separator, media, bullets, powder, primers.......... You think if I just charge it all Obama will bail me out?????

PS: Glockster, I Love the signature line!

Thanks David. On the monarks, of course they must be brass, take a light and look down the neck of the case, if there are 2 small holes then they are Berdan primed and they are too much trouble to reload as berdan primers are hard to come by and removing berdan primers is too much trouble. If there is a single hole then it is boxer primed and they are fine. If they are crimped, look into getting the Dillon primer pocket swager. I tried every other thing on the market before I fianlly broke down and bought one. I could kick myself for not doing it years ago as it works perfectly and much better than anything else I have ever tried. So, if you ever have to do large quantities of military brass, you can either get a Dillon swager or bring them to my house :), I will just swipe a few.

Guest seadooes

Hello and thank all of you for your input it was a great help. I bought a dillon RL550 and getting ready to load. Can you guys tell me the cheapest place to buy reloading supplies. Once i get the press mounted and starting setting it up i will probalby have a few questions.

Thanks again,

:up:

There may be some reloading supplies at the R&K show in Smyrna this weekend. David and Mark are usually priced decently if they are there. The Reloaders Bench in Mt Juliet has a lot of stuff, pricing is middle of the road to the higher end. If you want to buy in bulk Mid South Shooter supply in Clarksville off exit 11 is a good place. We may need to put together a bulk order,,,anybody want to jump in on that? You in Spring Hill there is Steves Shooting supply down on hwy 46 toward Columbia, I have no idea about pricing. You may want to start saving WW and other lead as bullet molds may be in your future with a Dillon. I love real Keith bullets, hard to buy as good as I can cast.

Guest Astra900

Her name is Crysania.

...And you put one too many zeros in there too:D

Behold the Astra 900 {for those who didn't know}:

01Astra_M900_L.jpg

Edited by Astra900