Krav Maga...part 2

I went to the intro class today in Franklin and I'll tell you what: I got my a$$ kicked.

The hour long class wore me out. But I plan to keep doing it:screwy:.

I plan to go to the class on Thursday and see which is the better drive. I come in from the east (Wilson County) and today the drive on I65 south sucked.

Anyone else make it to the into class? I'd like to meet a fellow TGOer. Maybe work out a secret sign, like sweating and look like you're about to pass out?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning on doing an intro class to see how I like it sometime in the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to condition myself w/ some intense cardio right now to get into shape a little better before I start.

I'll be going to the class at the JCC on Hwy 70 when I go.

Frontier, I was the guy standing at the back with the long wool coat. I think I'll be joining the class later this week (maybe Wednesday). Try the drive to Cool Springs again. The traffic was considerably worse today than most other days.

Which guy were you?

I was the guy sweating and looking as is if I was about to pass out! I was the uncoordinated bald guy wearing the white tee shirt. I did see you, hope you give it a shot. All in all a good workout and, once learned, a good skill to have imho.

How much is it to get started there? I'm interested, but I need to figure out the $ first.

Second question, are there any... husky gentlemen (AKA fatties) there? I'd hate to stick out too bad.:)

buk

I am not sure of the price...I forgot to ask...but another poster said $109 per month plus a fee for gloves or wraps.

And, yes, there were large guys/gal there. You would not stick out.

I'm planning on doing an intro class to see how I like it sometime in the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to condition myself w/ some intense cardio right now to get into shape a little better before I start.

I'll be going to the class at the JCC on Hwy 70 when I go.

Might be a smart idea to condition yourself prior but I would not worry that much about it. The instructor said to do what I can and not to push myself too hard.

I do run/jog/shuffle ~15 miles per week and I thought I'd be able to keep up but I did have to slow it down and even stop at times. Looking around I was not the only one! My advice: just come in and do it...if I can, anyone can.

I plan to be at the JCC on Thursday.

How much is it to get started there? I'm interested, but I need to figure out the $ first.

Second question, are there any... husky gentlemen (AKA fatties) there? I'd hate to stick out too bad.:)

buk

I think I saw it somewhere in one of the FAQs on there site... IIRC, it's $109/month, but if you sign up for a year, it's $70-something/month, not sure if you have to pay lump sum for a year commitment, or if you just sign a contract, then pay monthly.

COST - if you sign a one-year agreement, it is current $79/month (taken on a monthly draft).

I wasn't able to participate last night, but my observations were that a few guys were in good condition. However, I number of them (and I will add to that number) were not in very good shape. I watched everyone in the class and I think the vast majority of people (regardless of current conditioning) would be able to participate. I suspect if you attend regularly, the conditioning issue would be resolved within a month.

Take this with a huge grain of salt as I don't have much experience to reference this. But I thought the instructor was great, he kept us moving but kept it "light" for the new guy(s).

As far as the "overall assessment of the quality of the training" if I understand you correctly, if a sweating, heart pounding, fist flying, leg kicking workout is what you're after than I think it is it.

Edited by frontier737
Guest db99wj
Take this with a huge grain of salt as I don't have much experience to reference this. But I thought the instructor was great, he kept us moving but kept it "light" for the new guy(s).

As far as the "overall assessment of the quality of the training" if I understand you correctly if a sweating, heart pounding, fist flying, leg kicking workout is what you're after than I think it is it.

Hmm, Wii boxing had me doing all of that last night!!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest macmonkey

I had been taking Krav for the past 4 months and wanted to throw in my $.02.

I had a great time there and think that Patrick, Shannon and Sam were all great teachers. I have to admit though that with their classes getting bigger and trying to fit everything in under an hour I didn't feel like I got the attention necessary.

I was paying $200-ish per month for me and my girlfriend whom would get put on the sidelines on multiple occasions for lack of a sizable sparring partner (petite girl).

"Hands-off" may work for some people but seeing as I've never done anything like this before I was completely confused and frustrated at times.

I sent off a letter for my cancellation a few weeks ago (canceling is kind of a pain in the ass) because of a great recommendation for another self-defense class a few miles down the road where the classes are limited to 10 and for the monthly membership I can come once a day if I would like.

I do certainly feel like I have gotten something from the classes and they do weapons training including knife and gun disarming techniques and much more. The techniques like any sound great in theory and will hopefully save lives if it ever comes to that. The most important lesson that I learned is that you can't give an opponent any opportunity to get close to you. It's fairly simple to disarm someone (even if they are expecting you to) when you allow someone to get within a few feet.

Good luck to everyone here that's joining - it's certainly a crazy workout and being out of shape myself I spent a few nights in the locker room praying the porcelain gods.

Take care!

jw

I took Krav here in Memphis a couple years ago. Same owner, same story. He is a terrific instructor, but he was never there. He also seemed to become more worried about running a business venture than running a fighting/self-defense school. Little fees started popping up for everything. It gradually morphed from a fight school mentality to a fitness club enviroment. More and more classes seemed to be geared to recruiting new students, and those who were advanced got bored. The ""fight" class, which I lived for, and was one of the only classes where there was a lot of contact, suddenly had an extra fee attached to it. The fight classes were often too large. I saw a couple injuries that probably wouldn't have happened if the room had not been so crowded. From what I hear, the Memphis location is about to close (kinda tough to run a business from Nashville, I guess). I learned a lot and don't regret going; I just wish everything hadn't changed. There is a new school in Memphis (totally unrelated to Mid-South Krav Maga), and they are going to be teaching some Krav, along with other stuff. I'll be checking them out soon after our baby comes.

Edited by deerslayer
There is a new school in Memphis (totally unrelated to Mid-South Krav Maga), and they are going to be teaching some Krav

Are there any specifics you can give me about the new school in Memphis? I was just thinking about getting back into some training and I am beginning my search for schools, etc.

Are there any specifics you can give me about the new school in Memphis? I was just thinking about getting back into some training and I am beginning my search for schools, etc.

Chad Chilcutt

PMA (Premier Martial Arts)

9915 Highway 64 (SE corner of Houston Levee & 64)

388-6338

www.pmaschools.com/memphis

Looks like they will be instructing krav, jiu-jitsu, and a little muay thai. It sounds like some of their "mma" classes will actually be a combination of krav and jiu-jitsu (a combination that's right up my alley). That was one of the things I didn't like about krav maga--there was never enough judo/ground game included.