2017 Turkey Season Thread

Hunting with a new gun this year. Franchi Affinity 20ga with hand loaded TSS #9's. Hunted with TSS last year in a mossberg. It's magical stuff, but here's what's left of $50.00 with.

ec87d9515de10d4f3cd5d145124d057a.jpg

The Franchi 20ga put 272 pellets in the 10" circle and 521 pellets (including the 272 in the 10") in the 20" circle. That is pretty balanced and exactly what I was hoping for.

I also shot the old Mossberg 12ga to make sure it was ready for season. Whatever lube I cleaned it with last year gummed up and it wouldn't fire. I pulled it apart, soaked it and oiled it up and its back in business.

12ga Mossberg 535 with Pure Gold .670 choke and Hevi-13 #7 3.5" shells it put 259 pellets in the 10" circle and 527 in the 20" circle. This guns is a proven killer with these Hevi 7's.
ff5a58ec09093526a1f4e91116604804.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Was out patterning my shotgun on Monday afternoon when I was packing it up and leaving I saw two jakes cruising across one of the big fields that I hunt on some family property.  Promising sign.  The glass on the TruGlo Red Dot scope I am using also cracked during the process.   Sent it back in to TruGlo for replacement and will hopefully have the replacement back before opening day.  The Hevi-Shot HEVI-13 Magnum Blend 3.5" shells had quite the boom and may have cracked it so I may stick with the Winchester Long Beard XR #6's that did a nice job patterning with my Indian Creek choke.  Recoil wasn't nearly as bad as the HEVI-13's. 

Target on the left is with the 3.5" Winchester Long Beard XR #6.  Target on the right is with the 3.5" Hevi-Shot HEVI-13 Magnum Blend (#5, #6 #7).   Shot on the right was a little too low.  I think I was seeing two green dots with the busted scope at that point. 

Turkey 2017.jpg

The longbeards are good shells. I tried them last year, but decided to stick with the HeviShot.

Too bad about the scope. Hopefully it will be back soon. I run Burris fastfires on both my shotguns. I dropped and busted one a couple years back, all my fault, and Burris still replaced it for free. They won a permanent customer over that.

I tried the Longbeard XR shells for the first time in 2015 and they shot awesome in my old Mossberg 500 with a Hastings .640 choke. I shoot the #4 shot and killed 4 birds. One was a little better than 50 yards. I don't really recommend that but, honestly I didn't even know it was that far. Put him right down though.

On 3/22/2017 at 10:35 PM, whiskey said:

The longbeards are good shells. I tried them last year, but decided to stick with the HeviShot.

Too bad about the scope. Hopefully it will be back soon. I run Burris fastfires on both my shotguns. I dropped and busted one a couple years back, all my fault, and Burris still replaced it for free. They won a permanent customer over that.

Yeah if the TruGlo cracks again I'm going to look into Burris.  TruGlo customer service is replacing it but the only disappointing part is having to pay for shipping to send it and return it ($20 total in shipping).   Still on the fence with the Longbeards vs Hevi-Shot.  What kind of results have you had as far as distance?  Shots above were at 30yds. 

Yeah if the TruGlo cracks again I'm going to look into Burris.  TruGlo customer service is replacing it but the only disappointing part is having to pay for shipping to send it and return it ($20 total in shipping).   Still on the fence with the Longbeards vs Hevi-Shot.  What kind of results have you had as far as distance?  Shots above were at 30yds. 

I sight in at 40. Both will kill out out my gun at 60. I don't try to shoot birds that but I shot one at 63 with Hevi 7's last year, after my buddy shot and the 2nd bird ran to the fence.

I got 250-300 in the 10" at 40, but you got to shoot out far to see what your gun holds and just cut it at that.

I'm looking for someone to hunt with.  I have plenty of good land with turkeys and my own gear, I just can't call.  If anyone is around Lebanon and would like to team up send me a PM

Pm'd you my number. I got a buddy down there, great caller.

• Like 1

Congrats @whiskey & @10-Ring!!  The large flocks that I have been seeing were on another property down the street from family land that I hunt on this morning.  Waved to them when I saw them as I was heading home.  My property was covered up with turkey last weekend during youth hunt and I had my son with me but he still has one more year before he can hunt and needs some more trigger time/practice otherwise he would have had his pickings. 

• Like 1