Pawn Shops

Guest Fenris

OK, I'm pretty comfortable shopping for long guns in pawn shops. I can usually spot a decent deal, and I pass if there's any doubt.

Is it similar when looking for handguns? I assume it's easier to get a decent revolver over a semi because you can inspect the cylinder mechanisms, etc. much easier than you can the clip spring, etc.

Any tips for handgun shopping at pawn shops?

Is it worth the risk for the deals you can get in the Nashville area?

Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the Pawn Shop I've checked want more for a used pistol than what you can find a new one for...

+1 on that.

I think 10 or more years ago P.S.'s (put on "O" in the middle if you want) were a great place to go look for deals. Seems like those days are gone.

Guest Revelator

Robertson Trading Post in Henderson, TN is an interesting little place. It's about halfway between Memphis and Nashville. I'd say it's about 40% pawn store, 60% gun shop. They have lots of guns. I was there a couple weeks ago and they had a good selection of revolvers and semi-autos; mostly used but a few new ones. Good prices.

Guest mikedwood

Handguns at pawnshops are as stated above usually higher than a new one. Sometimes way higher. Rare but happens you run up on a deal. Long guns and shot guns are where the real deals are at pawnshops I think. In between the ending and starting of hunting season.

If you do find a good deal on one I guess there are some tricks to looking one over good but used guns are always a pig in a polk.

Guest Crunchman

On one of the C&R forums I'm known as the "Pawn Shop Predator". 80% of my C&R Mausers and Mossbergs have come from pawn shops. I picked up a Finnish Mosin M91 once for $55 and sold it a year later for $400. On handguns, you have to really look hard, but I've found a Colt 1991A1 in 98% condition for less than $300, a S&W 640-2 in 95% for less than $300, a S&W 625-5 Jerry Miculek in 98% for a little over $500. You have to search hard and get to know the pawn shop owners. Be willing to haggle as most shop owners are willing to take less, as long as they make some profit.

Guest rockbottom12

i went into one when i was looking for my ruger p95 and found the one i wanted, it was $50 more than new and looked like someone used it as a ball peen hammer.

Guest oldhack62

Well, what pawn shops want, and what they'll take, are generally two different things.

I'd never pay the 'sticker' price on any quote a pawn shop gives me. And, I'll walk if they don't want to be reasonable. But, make an honest and respectable counter-offer, and I've found few that will refuse it.

Guest Micromancer

There are only two pawn shops local to me that deal in guns. If you want a good deal at a pawn shop, this is what I do.

Take the price they have on the ticket, cut it in half. This is probably around what they paid. Depending on the make and model, judge how much over that price you can get it for from places like Gunbroker. Halve the margin. This is your cash (and I can not stress enough pay in cash) offer. This isn't infallible, but a good starting point.

For instance, Yesterday morning I saw a used Glock 21 for $525. I would guess they paid around $275-$300 for it. A similar model would run me around $450 from the internet. Drop $400 in cash, wait for them to counter with "You'll have to cover sales tax and background". Remind them at that price it's cheaper to order from the net and you'll add $25 which would be the same as an FFL transfer. They are now at $150 or so profit and would rather sell the gun than wait for someone else in my experience.

The last time I did this I offered $300 cash for a Llama .45 and got it out the door at that price even though they had $425 on the tag.

Guest B J Elliott
i went into one when i was looking for my ruger p95 and found the one i wanted, it was $50 more than new and looked like someone used it as a ball peen hammer.
That was a good one and funny also!! BJ

I used to work at a local pawn shop, and know the code that shows how much money they have invested in each item. They owned around four or five stores. Pawn shops charge 21% (I think, if not, its posted on the signs in the store usually) interest per month on items. An item that has not had the interest rate paid in two months comes out onto the floor to be resold. The general rule was to get at least a little over the two month interest payment amount back plus a few dollars and the item would generally sell.

Example: Item is priced at $180.00. Item loan amount is $100.00. Interest (the cost to renew a loan) is 21%, or $21.00. Items are held for two months, $21.00 x 2 is $42.00. Offer $150 on the item.

This has to take into account how long the item has been out on the shelf, which is generally listed in some way on the price tag, at least on the pawn shops I frequent. Or, if the item is worth a substantial amount more than they have invested. The post above stating half the ticketed price is good to use if you don't know the code. Another thing to do is try to get the one guy who works in the back pulling items that no one has paid on and are being cleaned to go out on the floor. This guy usually makes $8.00 an hour and gets no commission on sales, unlike all the other people on the floor. I got to know one of the guys and would take him to lunch, which got me first pick on a number of firearms and (brand new) power tools. If you frequent a pawn shop to the point where they know your name, you can usually work a better deal, even if you haven't bought anything all those times you come in there. I have even sprung for pizza. Little Caesar's = $5.00 each. This has saved me a few hundred dollars in my purchases at the one that I frequent the most.

My two cents.

Guest abailey362

went pawn shopping today and most of the stores in chattanooga area only had a couple of ragged out 1st gen glocks for 3rd gen lightly used prices and plenty of jennings, lorcin, and hipoints NIB. nother couple of weeks and hunting season will be closing and credit card bills from christmas will be needing to be paid....i'll make my rounds again

I used to work at a local pawn shop, and know the code that shows how much money they have invested in each item.

Unfortunately not all shops use the same code. Had one shop figured out, was surprised it was the name of an institution of higher learning.

Sadly, the owner was a meth head and he didn't stay open much longer once that stuff got ahold of him.

Haven't figured out any other shops codes to date. The oft-mentioned codes never seem to work. Easy enough to figure out which letter is zero, but beyond that it's more difficult.

No, I used to work at a local pawn shop, and know their code, which included the other pawn shops in town that they owned. That would be illogical to assume ALL pawn shops used the same code. The code that WE used is the same code used in those PARTICULAR stores.

I would very rarely ever get any handgun from a pawn shop. They are usually way over priced and the quality would not be as good as say from a individual dealer from the classifieds or something like that. I would save up some money and go up to the gun shop and buy a brand new one, unless the gun is something very rare. Just my :P

Guest fastshotivy

Well we was at some today in Jackson Tn and they have new handguns,Shotguns and rifles.. There price was cheaper than most place I have been too. There is one Pawn shop in Selmer and they have real good prices also.

Guest oldhack62
I would very rarely ever get any handgun from a pawn shop. They are usually way over priced and the quality would not be as good as say from a individual dealer from the classifieds or something like that. I would save up some money and go up to the gun shop and buy a brand new one, unless the gun is something very rare. Just my :D

Well, I carry a pawn-shop-purchased handgun regularly -- paid under $200 for it -- and my everyday plinker is a .22 Norinco which I low-balled in a pawn shop where I'm known by first name. I didn't pay too much for either, nor is either a 'problem' gun.

If you don't know a lot about what you're shopping for -- or if you just can't walk away from something priced out-of-line -- you're right, pawn shops aren't a good place to buy. On the other hand, if you know how to judge the quality of what you're buying, and have an idea of 'normal' prices, pawn shops are just alternative gun stores.

Saying "I'd never buy a gun in a pawn shop" is like saying "I'd never pay less than list price".

Well, I spent the afternoon going around some of the pawn shops on Nolensville and Murfreesboro Road and worked my way down to On Target.

I saw a single shot 16 gauge that was bore pitted all the heck, and the guy wanted $125 for it.

I also saw two run of the mill Mosin Nagants for $350. Almost made me want to bring mine in. It was in better shape :-)

I was disappointed. Smyrna Pawn and Gun actually locked up their firearms an hour and a half before closing, and I arrived an hour and 15 minutes before closing. I thought that was a bit odd.

I'll keep looking at pawn shops just as I continue to go to yard sales. The diamond in the rough is out there, but while I'm waiting, I'm sending in my C&R app.

Well, I carry a pawn-shop-purchased handgun regularly -- paid under $200 for it -- and my everyday plinker is a .22 Norinco which I low-balled in a pawn shop where I'm known by first name. I didn't pay too much for either, nor is either a 'problem' gun.

If you don't know a lot about what you're shopping for -- or if you just can't walk away from something priced out-of-line -- you're right, pawn shops aren't a good place to buy. On the other hand, if you know how to judge the quality of what you're buying, and have an idea of 'normal' prices, pawn shops are just alternative gun stores.

Saying "I'd never buy a gun in a pawn shop" is like saying "I'd never pay less than list price".

Umm did i say that?