looking for pocket carry gun

Guest salb3039

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest macho999

I carry the same way with the same holster. Only difference is my kel-tec is ugly and green.

The big bonus for back pocket carry is it levels you out when you sit down where usually you lean to one side because of the wallet.

Guest sermon8r
I carry the same way with the same holster. Only difference is my kel-tec is ugly and green.

The big bonus for back pocket carry is it levels you out when you sit down where usually you lean to one side because of the wallet.

What kind of holster is that?

Guest Phantom6

To me, size is important. My wife thinks so too. :D

T M I I thought we were discussing firearms not guns as in "This is my rifle, this is my gun. One is for fighting, one is for ... " Well, you get the picture. :confused:

Has anyone tried a Seecamp? I've been shooting a Seecamp .32 cal. quite a lot recently and I got to tell you I'm impressed with this little pistol. I ordered one a while back and expect it any day. I have now ordered Larry's .380 version. It's (any Seecamp model) finicky about what it eats but what it likes is quality ammo so that's not a problem. It's the size of my car keys and even without sights I can put 5 of seven rounds in the cranial-occular area rapid fire at 10 yds. What more can one ask for? Oh yeah, it's serial number is my name. There, I knew I could think of something else.:D

In the meantime I like my Taurus 851 stainless .38 small frame wheelgun with a shrouded hammer so I can sitll shoot single single action if I need to.

Guest macho999
What kind of holster is that?

It's a Don Hume pocket holster. I tried a couple of other ones out and still have them around somewhere but this was the one I liked the best. It hides the print of the handle and makes it look like you have a square something back there instead of a gun.

Guest sermon8r
It's a Don Hume pocket holster. I tried a couple of other ones out and still have them around somewhere but this was the one I liked the best. It hides the print of the handle and makes it look like you have a square something back there instead of a gun.

kewl ill check it out

The holster is a Don Hume 002: Hip Pocket Style . For some reason not many gun shops carry them.

Like Macho, I've tried other holsters and keep coming back to this one. I also use their holsters for my urban open carry and IWB use.

Phantom6, I haven't shot a Seecamp but have a friend who has one. He likes it, but he practically stole it from someone who needed some quick cash.

I know, as you say, they are a bit picky about ammo, although Seecamp has expanded the list of acceptable ammunition. The price has come down some into the possible purchase realm if you want a nice mouse gun.

One thing that bothers me is the supposed service life on the Seecamp handguns. According to one review I read, service life on the .32 is 6000 rounds and 2000 rounds on the 380 Auto. Assumedly someone told the writer those figures rather than him just making up something. Larry Seecamp doesn't quote a life on the 380. He just says that the rumored 1000 round life is a misunderstanding but he doesn't say what the life is. What he actually says is that he quit firing his test handgun after 1000 rounds because his hands were sore and bleeding. I think that's sidestepping the issue. He also says the guns can be rebuilt. Hmmmm.... Of course you aren't likely to be firing any of the little guns a whole lot. Still, that life bothers me. I also know they suggest replacing the recoil spring on the 380 every "few hundred" rounds. In fact Larry had to do that at least once during his 1000 round test.

While the Seecamp is significantly shorter than the P3AT and a quarter inch less tall, it is thicker, less flat and heavier than the Kel-Tec. I'm big on having flat concealed carry handguns. Thin is good too. But that may be a function of how I carry.

To be honest, I look almost strictly at function in any of my working guns. So a Seecamp probably isn't for me in that capacity. But there is certainly nothing wrong with having a quality premium gun that you can be proud of. After all, I bought a Wilson Combat. But I normally shoot the Rock Island. :D

Guest salb3039

Any problems when it comes to sitting on the gun?

Guest macho999
Any problems when it comes to sitting on the gun?

The only time it's ever bothered me is on long 9 hour + trips driving, but my wallet does too. It's never been annoying half as much as anything IWB.

You just cram it in your butt pocket and you're ready to go. No need for Hawaiian shirts or buying your pants too big. There's no shirt getting caught up on the handle or worrying about reaching up high. You can run if you need to without something poking you in the side. You don't do the concealed carry/John Wayne strut when you walk.

You can access your side pocket in your pants. I have enough problem with these without a gun making it even harder. Every belt works, no need for special gun belts that may not fit the occasion or mode of dress. It's easy to take off and stow in your car when you're going to a courthouse or carry prohibited place.

It's the least hassle of any method I've ever tried. Mars clued me into the Kel-Tec a couple of years ago. It's the best gun advice I've ever got.

It's the least hassle of any method I've ever tried. Mars clued me into the Kel-Tec a couple of years ago. It's the best gun advice I've ever got.

And the only good advice he ever listened to. :D

Joe Hero, glad to hear you stock Don Hume holsters.

Guest salb3039

Where online, other than Don Hume, carries the Hip Pocket style holster? I hate buying from the manufacturer. I can always find it cheaper somewhere else but I'm having problems finding this one.

Don Hume sells it direct for $32.95, Crowder's here in town has it for $49.95. I was in Crowder's the other day window shopping and saw it. I didn't see any Kel-Tec's in the display cases though, wasn't real surprised though.

FYI

I sell the 002 for $32.00+tax for a total of $35.26

Online prices are sometimes deceptive... if you're just ordering one item, the shipping & handling is usually a pretty good chunk. You might still come out cheaper, especially considering that you're paying sales tax locally, but at least you get to see and feel a particular holster in-person and compare it to others.

I usually only order things online which I cannot get at all locally... unless it's a REALLY good deal. This is especially the case when there is a local gun-shop which I will take any excuse to visit and patronize, since it is desireable to me for them to stay in business! Good customer service trumps anything, including saving a few pennies.

Joe...what's the price for the Hip Pocket style holster plus first class shipping to 37601?

I think I could get it to you for 5 bucks in shipping.

If you want it, email me your address and I will get it out to you.

Make sure you confirm what gun the holster is for.

I will include an invoice, and you can send me a check once you receive the holster.

Guest salb3039

I noticed they offer one for the 1st and 2nd gen P3AT. I guess I'll actually need to buy the gun first to see what gen it is. May go by Byrd's this evening and put it in the layaway so I can hold on to it for a few days. Does anybody know any significant differences or advantages to either generation? Also, any ammo suggestions in .380?

I noticed they offer one for the 1st and 2nd gen P3AT. I guess I'll actually need to buy the gun first to see what gen it is. May go by Byrd's this evening and put it in the layaway so I can hold on to it for a few days. Does anybody know any significant differences or advantages to either generation? Also, any ammo suggestions in .380?

The only differences were the contour of the slides, and the 2nd gen guns had a funky looking extractor bolted to the ejection-side. No improvements were made, from what I've seen. The slide contour change was a result of the shape of the bar-stock steel they machined them from being different.

Does anybody know any significant differences or advantages to either generation? Also, any ammo suggestions in .380?

I don't normally do this, but I did a thread on another board detailing the differences between the 1st and 2nd gen P3ATs. Too long to copy here and it has some graphics links that would probably be a pain to transfer. So... check out http://www.hk94.com/hk/Bought-a-replacement-Kel-Tec-P3AT-t21370.html. Then come back here. :popcorn:

If you can get a good deal on the 1st gen, then it is fine, but the 2nd gen is a better gun. There are several changes.

I use Remington FMJ and Hydra-Shoks. There are some comments about that in the other thread too.

BTW, call Mike at Guns R Us in Bristol (423-844-0087) about the holster. I don't know if he has another in stock but I've bought three from him. The last I bought had a $31 price on the bag, but I got it for less than $25. But I'm a good long-time customer and this was the third one I've bought from him, plus all my other Hume holsters and a few guns. Unless things have changed, dealers normally get a 40% discount, so that can be your guide. That puts dealer cost, including shipping in at around $20. I'd say he will knock off a few bucks from list, but not as much as he did for me. If he doesn't have it in stock you can probably expect a month or two delivery time. Hume is an odd company.

That's way high. Pick one up at Gunslingers or call Mike at Top Notch (423-323-6638). He'll probably match their price or come close. I bought my latest one there. Think I paid $250. Mike also came to the last Kingsport shoot. Nice to do business with people who support us. :popcorn:

Byrd's has gotten a little out of control on pricing lately. They used to be a lot cheaper, but I think business slowed down and Jason had to raise his prices a bit to make ends meet. Lately, they've had the highest, rather than the lowest, prices among the local FFLs I go to. Their prices at the gun shows are better though.