Grandpa's Shotgun

Guest parris001

Guest parris001

Okay, here's your challenge. I'm looking to buy an old shotgun like my Grandpa kept hanging over the back door. I've used other forums and everyone tells me that I must have some bad information because the gun in question doesn't exist.

I just got off the phone with the Uncle that is in current possession of the shotgun and he says the brand name is Best. He said it was made in England or Ireland (he was eating, wouldn't get up to go look) and had a date of 1900 in one place and another in the 1930s in another.

Does anyone know this gun? Have any info that could help me?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, sporting shotguns that were used in the UK are often referred to as "Best" shotguns. They are usually of very high quality and are made to last for decades with hundreds of thousands of rounds having been shot through them. So the fact that it has Best on it is entirely possible. I would surmise that there is a manufacturers name or symbol on the gun somewhere, but "Best" could very well be on it. I would liken it to today we have a Browning with "Citori" written on it, etc. If that makes sense.

Actually, sporting shotguns that were used in the UK are often referred to as "Best" shotguns. They are usually of very high quality and are made to last for decades with hundreds of thousands of rounds having been shot through them. So the fact that it has Best on it is entirely possible. I would surmise that there is a manufacturers name or symbol on the gun somewhere, but "Best" could very well be on it. I would liken it to today we have a Browning with "Citori" written on it, etc. If that makes sense.

Well, I actually did know the term "best gun", but I was unaware that was actually written on the gun itself, at least in prominent letters.

My apologies for apparently rash and wrong advice.

Although, assuming this is the case, there should still be an actual manufacturer's name on it, too, as you suggest.

- OS

Guest pjblurton
Although, assuming this is the case, there should still be an actual manufacturer's name on it, too, as you suggest.

- OS

I dunno...

My F.I.L. has a really old single shot 12GA that doesn't say ***** on it. There is Cylinder Bore stamped on the barrel and 12GA stamped on the reciever and that is it!

I even disassembled the darn thing looking for a brand name or something.

Strangly enough, It is the best shooting / most accurate shotgun I have ever fired.

Guest preruntn

More info please.

Single or double barrel. If double is it over/under or sxs. Damascus or fluid steel barrels. Hammers or no hammers. Type of action: back, box, sidelock. Is it even a breech joader or could it be a muzzleloader. Did granpa actually use the gun or was it a wall hanger even for him(helps figure age). Come man, the info!!! hahaha

Eric

Guest shortfri

Your grandfathers shotgun has proof marks all over it if it is that old. From those proof marks you'll learn more about it then whats written on the side. The sad news is that you'll have to find someone that has the right books to trace those. And to let you understand somewhat of the mess it could lead to . In the time era that you quoted. there were 327 independent gunsmiths in Belgium. And what that means is that you could have a shotgun that is not nameable. But on the other hand in that time era damascuss(sp) twist barrels were the going rage.

Guest parris001
More info please.

Single or double barrel. If double is it over/under or sxs. Damascus or fluid steel barrels. Hammers or no hammers. Type of action: back, box, sidelock. Is it even a breech joader or could it be a muzzleloader. Did granpa actually use the gun or was it a wall hanger even for him(helps figure age). Come man, the info!!! hahaha

Eric

It's been 25 years since I've seen it. It was a single barrel 12 gauge with a hammer is all I'm sure of. When I visit in July I'm going to bribe my Uncle into letting me have a good look at it.

I never actually remember grandpa shooting it but he was in bad health when I was a kid. But I've heard rabbit hunting tales of the gun......

• 5 months later...
Guest parris001

Uncle Paul picture by parris001 - Photobucket

Details picture by parris001 - Photobucket

Patented August 11 picture by parris001 - Photobucket

The best gun on Earth? picture by parris001 - Photobucket

Okay, been a while since I've been here. I visited my Uncle Paul that had my Grandpa's old shotgun. I took the photos here, and little did I know his intentions were to give me the gun at the end of my visit. I was very shocked to say the least.

But I still can't id the gun and need the forums help. Anyone recognize this piece?

Does this look correct, or is this one of your questions?

Need help ID'n a OLD shotgun - XDTalk Forums - Your HS2000/SA-XD Information Source!

excerpt:

Q: I can make out "Patened Aug 11 1896" on the top of the barrell but I was to know what this on the side is. Looks to me like " The best gun on Earth" then a name under that... Any info on maker or how to find out will help a bunch. If a bigger picture would help let me know..?

A: the August 11, 1896 patent date is definitely a Davenport

. If you have an external side hammer, it was probably made from the 1880's to about 1910. If it is hammerless or the hammer is centered in the action, most likely after 1900 and as late as WWII. Also known as a Columbia...should be a '12' under the barrel by the fore stock....

A bunch of makers made this gun under different names...

example...

Quote:

Variations of this name were used on single shot shotguns by several makers.

Columbia - W. H. Davenport Arms Co. 1891-1910

Columbia Arms Co - Trademark owned by Henry Keidel & Co. Baltimore, Md. 1866-1978

Columbia Ejector - W. H. Davenport Arms Co.

Columbia Single - Harrington & Richardson Arms Co 1872-1985

Columbia Single - W. H. Davenport Arms Co. (will have company name marked on upper and lower tangs)

Columbia Single - Hopkins & Allen Arms Co. 1868-1898

I believe it to be what was called the Davenport Ejector, or the same as made with any number of other names they made the guns for. Probably made sometime in early 1900's. The were sold primarily by Sear's and from what I recall they sold for $6-$7 new. I am almost certain that is what that is, it has all the distinguishing markings. It is definitely a US made gun. The original Dav Ejector had an octagon breech, but not all of them did, especially the ones they made for others.

Davenports have thus far never gathered a huge collector following. Most of them are worth around $100. Many hunters used them in the day. They were a step us from what is generally called hardware store guns, which came in hundreds of different names, but could be bought at local hardware stores, farming supply stores etc.

The great satisfaction you have is a family historical piece where you now have a greater connection and story to pass along of the family.

Edited by Warbird
Guest parris001

Hey, great job guys. It is a Davenport. I found another one just like it now over at Gunbroker. Well this is going to raise a few eyebrows at the next family get-together because legend has always had it that my great-grandpa brought that gun over from Ireland. Now it looks like that's not the case. Maybe I'll let them keep their story and not tell them any different.

Any idea what the script in that second line is?

I sold old Davenport through Coal Creek on consignment about 9 months ago.

It went for big bucks, made both me and JWP flush ($60.00) :usa:

Here's some info:

"W.H. Davenport was a shotgun maker located at 790 Orange Street in Providence Rhode Island circa 1880-1883. He reorganized his business in Norwich Connecticut in 1890 and operated through 1900. He is known mostly for his top-break single action shotguns, but he also made a lever action with sliding breech lock."

davenport-main.jpg

acme-main.jpg

- OS

Guest parris001

That it does, that it does. I'd like to shoot the old thing but it's in such good shape I'd be heartbroke if I were to crack the old stock by shooting it. You know how that old wood can do on you.

What I need now is to collect another one like it and play with it.