RANGE TEST: BERSA THUNDER 9

Guest Matchguy

Guest Matchguy

I finally had a chance to go up to the range today and try out a new Bersa Thunder 9 I had purchased three months ago......the clouds parted, the snow melted, and we had a 65 degree day after a whole slew of days in the teens and twenties, so we beat feet with a whole bag of ammo and high hopes.

The Bersa Thunder 9, although the name sounds like a kid's motorscooter, is anything but. It began life as a license-built Walther P88 in the Bersa plant in Argentina a few years back. Bersa made some in-house modifications to the design, like an alloy frame and a frame mounted ambi decocking safety....The fact that it was related to the P88 was enough for me to want one. The P88 was one of the nicest pistols I've ever held and was known for phenominal accuracy. I figured a good copy would do likewise, so for the paltry sum of $347 out the door I had one. I intend to do a complete review of the gun at a later date, but today gave me some good insights into the gun's inherent accuracy and reliability, and that's all I'll report on this go-round, except to say it is a very well made pistol that is almost identical in exterior dimensions to a Smith 5906 or 4006.

Here's a photo of one, although the newest ones have a rail forward of the trigger guard:

bersa_thunder40_HC_large.gif

Not having a ton of money for scads of expensive JHP ammo, I had to design a test regimen that would give me a good picture of the gun's accuracy and reliability in about 200 rounds. I'm recovering from hip replacement surgery and that's about all the time I could remain in a shooting position.

So here's what I did: I loaded three 17 round mags with two of my Gold Dot 124 Gr +P carry loads at the bottom of the mag, two more in mid-sequence, and two more at the top of the mag. Interspersed between the pairs of carry loads were a mix of four hardball 115 grain loads and a 115 grain JHP load.

I set up at 15 yards and because of my condition had to sit in a folding steel chair with my forearms resting on a pistol bench, leaning back, with my hands unsupported. The bench hit my forearms about 5 inches up from my wrists.

In that position I proceeded to fire all 17 rounds single action without coming up for air in roughly 90 seconds, or about as fast as I could regain sight picture and get a well-controlled letoff. I repeated this three times.

In all three cases the target contained a ragged hole with two or three singles out about an inch away. Again, these 17 round groups consisted of shots with six different loads, so I thought this was pretty phenominal accuracy given the conditions under which I shot them.

I then proceeded to shoot 17 round groups under these conditions with the various hardball loads and they repeated the performance I mentioned above, except that they opened up slightly and had a couple more singles. Again, the ragged holes were there despite 66 year old eyes and a barely satisfactory firing stance. Surprisingly, this particular pistol has very little load preference, and put two five shot groups into 1 1/2" using the two JHP loads I had. The pistol has very prominent sights, the front sight having a round white dot and the rear notch surrounded by a rectangular white line...........and none of this mattered because I was in the shade and the target was in the sun so you couldn't see the doggone paint anyway!! But I had to tell you nitpickers about the sights or you'd howl 'till midnight about it!

The pistol went through 180 rounds in this fashion without a hiccup of any kind......it was totally reliable in every respect. And I think it lived up to its Walther heritage in its accuracy. I don't clean new automatic pistols until they've fired 250 rounds, so I'll finish up this phase of the reliability test during the next thaw that comes our way.

If anyone is considering the purchase of a Bersa Thunder 9, I can report that I am completely satisfied with mine and think it's a good use of your hard earned bucks. For the money you just can't beat it. More after the ice age subsides. Best.

MG

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MisterJimmy

Good report. I'd looked at the Bersa Thunder compact, mini I think they call it, before I made my purchase. It has a great feel to it and at some point I'll probably get the mini-Thunder as a second 9. My only issue at the time was access to affordable magazines, but I liked everything about the ones I handled, esp the price. I'm sure you already know this, but there are a couple of good Bersa forums.

Guest Matchguy
Thanks for the range report. The Bersa looks like a very nice firearm. I'm curious: do you field strip and clean and oil PRIOR to shooting a new pistol? And why don't you clean a new pistol until you have shot 250 rounds?

Yes sir, I strip, clean, and lube brand new automatic pistols probably a bit heavier than after they are broken in. I use the 250 round benchmark because of my experiences in police training programs and firearms instructor programs. My outfit transitioned from revolvers to Smith M4006's in 1991 and the course was 1,266 rounds out of a brand new gun in 2 days. We would stop and give them a cursory cleaning with rags and solvent, run a quick patch through the bores, then lube them and keep shooting every 250 - 300 rounds. I had no failures of any kind, nor did anyone in my class. So I figure that if a pistol will digest a mixed bag of ammo staggered in the mags when it is full of carbon and crud, then it won't fail me during normal usage when I keep it spotless. Also, if it is shaving metal anywhere, or if there is a failure brewing somewhere internally, it will show up by this time. It's just a personal standard I feel comfortable with.

MG

Guest Matchguy
Good report. I'd looked at the Bersa Thunder compact, mini I think they call it, before I made my purchase. It has a great feel to it and at some point I'll probably get the mini-Thunder as a second 9. My only issue at the time was access to affordable magazines, but I liked everything about the ones I handled, esp the price. I'm sure you already know this, but there are a couple of good Bersa forums.

Yes, mags are expensive Jimmy, but you can get them for down around $38 if you shop the internet for them. I bought the Thunder 9 Ultra Compact at the same time as the full size gun the day after the election (go figger!!) and they now come with a key lock and finger grooves machined into the front of the grip frame and they fit the hand very well. The mag extension makes the gun very controllable too. I was only able to fire one mag with it before running out of time and it didn't appear to recoil any more than the larger gun......and it shouldn't because although it's smaller it isn't that much lighter. I ripped off 13 rounds of hardball fairly quickly at 15 yards and kept them all in a circle about the size of a softball (from the bench), but like I said, I was tired out and wasn't shooting with any special care, so I'm sure it's more accurate than that. Southern Ohio Guns seems to be the only company that has any Bersas left.

MG

Guest Matchguy
Great report.

If you dont mind my asking where did you buy it? Just wondering if anyone stocks them locally. Like to look at the 45.

I got the full size model at Bud's Guns in Paris, KY, www.budsgunshop.com, and the ultra compact model at Southern Ohio Guns. Bud's is probably out. I think SOG may still have some though.You can also check with the importer at www.bersafirearmsusa.com and they can give you a dealer near you.. If you're looking for the .45 model, you probably have a much better chance of finding one and I think I'd call SOG first of all. www.southernohiogun.com

Hope this helps.

MG

Guest Matchguy

Hey Ridgerunner, did you fire all that +P and +P+ ammo with factory recoil springs in your Ultra Compact? Have you ever changed them out? Just curious.

MatchGuy

My friend is wanting to trade with me...he has a brand new never fired Bersa Thunder 45 with 2 spare mags. He needs a little $$$ to fix his truck, I think I'll offer him the 9mm and $100.

I'm just not really a 9mm guy...that's why I stopped carrying the Bersa.

Technically I have given the 9mm to my son...but he's been saying he wants a 45 anyway.

Yep...I cried all the way up there, the 9mm was a good pistol. I've been "consolidating" calibers...all 3 of us (wife, son, me) now have 45's for pistols and 308's for rifles. At least those are the ones that we shoot most often...makes buying reloading components a lot easier (cheaper).

Will do on the range report...its supposed to rain tomorrow so it may take a few days

Not really a range report...but he couldn't wait to shoot it a few times.

The first 3 rounds are WWB ball ammo, the last 3 are my own "special recipe".

My very first YouTube video (only 34 seconds, it was a trial run)...range report still to come.

Edited by Ridgerunner665