Turkeys with a 20 Gauge??

Guest Bronker

Guest Bronker

I recently bought my son a 20 gauge Mossberg 500C in youth model (thanks D-Minus), to use as a turkey gun. I have very limited experience with Mossbergs outside of my HD 500A.

I use a Remmy 870 12 gauge with a 28" bbl for thunderchickens, but I certainly want to use this 20 gauge for them as well. With my 12G set up, I use the Remmington Nitros. Works well.

You guys who use a 20 gauge for turkeys, what load combinations do you typically use? Brand, weight, etc.

Thanks in advance!!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
Just get the Turkey Loads from any ammo vendor, 5 shot. Both my boys use single shot 20s Bronker.

Did they use those Rossi 20G barrels? The one I have says its a 'modified' bbl. That doesn't sound like it would hold a tight pattern. Plus it's only like 20" long.

We have the cost effective New England Firearms Youth and Pardner models. Both shoot 3 inch Mags with modified chokes. They pattern very well out to 25 yards. Have not really done any checks past that. Currently using the Winchester Supremes 3 inch mags with 5 Shot

Call em in close and you can kill em by eating garlic the night before!

Guest Bronker
We have the cost effective New England Firearms Youth and Pardner models. Both shoot 3 inch Mags with modified chokes. They pattern very well out to 25 yards. Have not really done any checks past that. Currently using the Winchester Supremes 3 inch mags with 5 Shot

Call em in close...

Therein lies the problem...left to my calling prowess, we will need to check battlesight zeros of the AR.

Hey...no knocking the NEF!!! My son killed his first turkey with my 30 year-old 20G H&R. 24" modified bbl... but at 6 yards!!!!

Guest Bronker
Exactly! why change the program now!

One shot is all you need.

(because I've already bought this gun and I'm trying to justify it to the wife...I've even tried to tell her it'd be good for her if she ever wanted to shoot skeet)

sshhh:shhh:

You should have heard me justifying these Mosins...

Guest Jcochran88

use the full choke it came with.(mossy) and #5's like RW said and you should be good to at least 30 yards wich is probably alot further than the young (lucky as all get out) little bronker needs.

Guest Jcochran88
just don't forget that this year, anyone in Dickson County is required to wear the hunters orange just like during deer season. You must also play "Slow Ride" on a personal entertainment device while hunting. Just so ya know. I'm here to help.

Oh, is that how they do it where you are from? That must have been you driving up and down the road last year at Cheatam playing blairing that song and stopping every couple hundred yards and calling.:screwy:

Guest Bronker
Oh, is that how they do it where you are from? That must have been you driving up and down the road last year at Cheatam playing blairing that song and stopping every couple hundred yards and calling.:screwy:

Yeah, Foghat is NOT a locator call!!!!!

Except maybe in Westmoreland, where the Summertowners spend their off-season.

Guest Bronker
use the full choke it came with.(mossy) and #5's like RW said and you should be good to at least 30 yards wich is probably alot further than the young (lucky as all get out) little bronker needs.

What part of the two shots you have SEEN him make, would you attribute to 'luck'?

That kid's got talent...

Guest Jcochran88
What part of the two shots you have SEEN him make, would you attribute to 'luck'?

That kid's got talent...

oh i agree i was talking about getting the animal he is hunting well with in his range he seems to have an awsome track record for this. so no need to worry about turkeys being more than 10 or so yards from him.

Guest Bronker
Summertowners? I haven't seen any down at the check point. They must have passed on around us and gone to Lafayette or Portland.

I'm just saying, I've seen your drivers license photo...

hippie.jpg

I'm just sayin...

Guest Bronker
oooooowwwwwwwww.....in my best Yosemite Sam battle cry....

This could be the start of a vicious picture war Bronker

but to be fair, since they posted the HCP information, I was able to get your permit photo

ozzy_darkside.jpg

What memories.

I used to coach a pop warner football team we called the Vanleer War Pigs.

We didn't call it a "huddle." We called it "evil masses."

I'm going to try various 20G loads in this thing, but comfortable that most 3" high velocity rounds will work well from a accu-choke barrel. Our local sportsman's store will let you buy single rounds just for this purpose.

See you tomorrow.