Question for Memphis shooters

tng27

The permit class is just that...a class to educate you on the laws of carry in the state on TN.

If customers want more, (and they should) they should take the Level 1 class...

I would much rather take my tactical classes from guys that do it every day for a living.

I know that not all of the Rangemaster permit instructors have the experience that Givins has, so my question is, would you rather get drawing from a holster instructions from a guy that took an intructors course, or one that does it every day for a living?

Not knocking, or favoring one or the other... just something to think about. :D

but alas, I think this fine gentleman that asked this question got it answered.

I think you missed my point about the learning to draw, etc. Rangemaster's level 1 class (or whatever they call the next step after permit class) starts where they left off in permit class--everyone knows about drawing, etc. That's one reason they insist that students with permits either got their permit training from Rangemaster, or audited the permit class. My point is that a Rangemaster instructor who has only been through instructor school, or even me, for that matter, can just as easily teach somebody how to draw a gun as a cop can, if that's who you were referring to. Hell, if I want to get technical, cops use level 25 retention holsters, not IWB, concealed-carry type holsters that many permit class attendees would use. But I hate getting technical. Punisher summed it up best--go where you like, and kudos to all who educate and recruit newcomers of all types to our cause.

See ya'll at the range. :meh:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick O'Shay
I agree fully that the Range USA staff is friendlier, but would you want all Marine Corps Drill Instructors to be nice and friendly? Ok, maybe that was a silly comparison, but the last class I took at Rangemaster was a serious, weekend-long venture. I wasn't there to make friends or hear good jokes; I was there to study some grave topics and sharpen my gun-handling skills.

I was basing part of my opinion on actual experiences of friends and relatives at Range USA, as well as my experiences at Rangemaster. When attending Range USA's handgun carry permit class, one is sometimes subjected to a couple hours of storytelling, BSing, etc., at the end of the class. I have been told this by my wife, my brother, my neighbor, and several close friends, all of whom attended Range USA's permit classes. "Why couldn't they just let us go?" several of them said. The same thing happened when I attended permit class back in 2001 in Somerville. I attribute this to the state of TN mandating an 8 hour class, when it often really takes only 5 or 6 hours. At Rangemaster, there is less killing of the last two hours--they actually use those two hours to begin the first steps of everyone else's next level class. They touch on the basics of drawing from a holster, drilling students on drawing with their fingers off the trigger, prepping the trigger, etc. Anybody learn any of that stuff in your permit class?

I am actually very fond of Range USA and its staff--I think Scott runs a first class operation (plus, I like redheads, too). I have probably spent more hours on the range there than at Rangemaster. Last week, I actually recommended RUSA to my boss, who is a bit new in town. I've bought several guns from them. However, I feel that Rangemaster's training classes are a notch higher on the scale than RUSA's. When's the last time John Farnam or Massad Ayoob came to RUSA? I'm not obsessed with famous names or brands, but there's no denying Rangemaster's quality, IMO. I don't agree with every word that Givens says, but he has taught me things that I'll hopefully never use, but will never forget.

Sooner or later, I would like to take some training at Range USA. It would probably have to be some seminar or combination of classes or something, because I'm not going to start with their Street Level 1 and work up from there.

I have taken classes at both facilities and learned from both. A lot of folks here have complained about the staff at Rangemaster about rudeness, etc., but I have found them just as friendly as RangeUSA once you get to know them.

I have to say I witnessed Tom kicking a student out of a 1911 class one time, and I have to say he did the right thing. The guy was a hazard, a menace, and a moron and needed to be gone for everyone's safety. Tom didn't want to waste everyone else there's time teaching remedial gun safety to that guy, so he made the right decision IMO.

When someone I know mentions they want to get a permit, I ask them whether they are novice shooters or not. If they are I tell them "Go to Rangemaster. They will work with you on learning to shoot in the class."

Bottom line:

I shoot at both places depending on where I have to go afterwards and training schedules.