Need a Good IWB Gun

Guest Dr. Pepper

Guest Dr. Pepper

Girls,

I currently have a Kel-tec .380 that I carry in my bag in its own special pocket in a holster. I'm thinking I want to try an IWB carry, but I wanted to know from THE WOMEN, what brand/style of IWB holster they use and what SAs are good for this -- I'd like to carry a 9mm or even a .45 if there's a small one any of you have found a way to successfully carry. My husband uses an MTac, which I heard is really comfortable. I've tried it on and could almost do it, but it's a little big for my style of clothing. I don't wear super tight clothes, but my clothes ARE the biggest issue, I think. I typically wear jeans and a T-shirt. My T-shirts aren't huge, but they're not the baby doll style that sticks to my figure like a nylon (you know what I mean). I'm a pretty small framed girl, so that may also be part of the issue. I know Kahrs are pretty thin and some people seem to really like them. I've never tried one out, so I don't know. I just wonder if these are truly popular with the women. Additionally, I'd like to know where on the waistband you carry if you are going IWB. Small of back? Side? Etc.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I imagine there are newer female members who may be wondering the same things. I recently tried to use this dumb "belly band" that I got at the gun show for $20. I wore it under my shirt, but it sucked big time. It was worse than wearing a bra and I think it started to cause back problems. Plus the barrel of the gun was starting to slip through and dig into my body. I know I could have fixed that by sewing it up a little, and I would if it wasn't so uncomfortable to wear. I now have a deep hatred for the thing. The only bit I liked about it was that I felt like the gun was safer on my person rather than in my bag.

SO. That's where I am. I'm thinking I'm ready to trade in my Kel-tec for a bigger round. Blah blah. Any advice is appreciated. From the women. And if you're a man and you're reading this and you just CAN'T RESIST, say it, but I will BELITTLE any jokes or useless information you post. :)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Angel 24/7

Hi. I just usually read over my husband shoulder, but you asked for a woman.(hehehe)

I carry a Kel-Tec 380 in my pocket. In a Desantis holster.

I carry a Bersa 380 in a Uncle mike cheap holster in my purse.

My better 1/2 got a BagMaster he likes it.

I just got a M&P9. I have not found one for it yet.

I wear mine at 4:00. I found my Tauras 24/7 was to big to put there. We will see how the M&P does

If you're looking for a small, light, thin, easy to carry SA gun, I would say the Springfield Armory EMP (available in .40 or 9mm) would fit that bill perfectly. It's a bit pricey, but a very fine gun. The Kahrs would probably work good for IWB carry too, since they are also light and thin....but they are DA only.

Since you don't like the belly bands, I probably can't help you with a holster choice. I've been using the belly bands for years and I love them. There are so many different kinds out there and some that I've tried have been terrible, but the good ones are great. You might have just gotten a crappy one. I saw some hand made ones at a gun show a couple months ago and they looked awful! I have a Desantis and a Pro-Tech Outdoors and I like them both very much. They're perfect to wear under a t-shirt and you don't have to limit yourself to wearing pants with belt loops like you would with traditional holsters. I hate to see you make up your mind about all belly bands after just trying one bad one.

If you haven't checked them out already, CorneredCat.com and the WomenandGuns forum might be able to help you with a IWB holster choice. :rolleyes:

Guest Dr. Pepper

I'm surprised none of the guys responded. I didn't think they'd take my threats seriously. Come on back to the fold, boys. Ok, you can tell me what you think if you're reading this thread. If you have a wife who carries, what does she do? Thanks boys. :D

If you're looking for a small, light, thin, easy to carry SA gun, I would say the Springfield Armory EMP (available in .40 or 9mm) would fit that bill perfectly. It's a bit pricey, but a very fine gun. The Kahrs would probably work good for IWB carry too, since they are also light and thin....but they are DA only.

Since you don't like the belly bands, I probably can't help you with a holster choice. I've been using the belly bands for years and I love them. There are so many different kinds out there and some that I've tried have been terrible, but the good ones are great. You might have just gotten a crappy one. I saw some hand made ones at a gun show a couple months ago and they looked awful! I have a Desantis and a Pro-Tech Outdoors and I like them both very much. They're perfect to wear under a t-shirt and you don't have to limit yourself to wearing pants with belt loops like you would with traditional holsters. I hate to see you make up your mind about all belly bands after just trying one bad one.

:up:

Thanks for the help Packin' Mama. Maybe my belly band was a crappy brand, I don't know for sure. I just know I ended up feeling like I was wearing a corset all day. It was uncomfortable. I always wear pants with belt loops, so that's no big deal. ;) I've been researching it more and also reading up on Women and Guns. I'll try out some things and figure out what works best for me. Thanks for the tips.

Hi. I just usually read over my husband shoulder, but you asked for a woman.(hehehe)

I carry a Kel-Tec 380 in my pocket. In a Desantis holster.

I carry a Bersa 380 in a Uncle mike cheap holster in my purse.

My better 1/2 got a BagMaster he likes it.

I just got a M&P9. I have not found one for it yet.

I wear mine at 4:00. I found my Tauras 24/7 was to big to put there. We will see how the M&P does

You carry a lot of guns. ;) I haven't even thought about carrying more than one, but maybe I should. I think an SOB holster would work best for me. Thanks for the advice. :)

Guest eyebedam

If you haven't checked them out already, CorneredCat.com and the WomenandGuns forum might be able to help you with a IWB holster choice. :D

+1000 for the EMP. I have 1 & by far its the best gun Ive ever owned. If the EMP is a little more than you would want to spend might I suggest a Walther PPS. The are very accurate & very easy to conceal. If you can find a used 1 you should be able to get it for around 500.00

I'm surprised none of the guys responded. I didn't think they'd take my threats seriously. Come on back to the fold, boys. Ok, you can tell me what you think if you're reading this thread. ..

Well, for the firepower vs overall size, and especially thickness, there just isn't anything better than the Kahr PM series, no matter how you want to carry it...

Here's my Kahr PM9 in IWB ... I don't see how a lady with an inch or so play in waistline would have any more prob concealing it than a man. Kahrs are fairly pricey in the PM line, but that's about the only drawback, and only hurts once :lol:.

Wish you were around here, you could try it on...

Dimensions of whole rig, including gun is apprx. 7.5 x 6.5 x 1.3 inches:

Kahr-Bullard-sm.jpg

My wife carries a Glock 26 (hard to argue with having 12 rounds of 9mm on tap) but she HATES iwb carry. She does purse carry or once in a while OWB. A girl I work with carries a G23 in a bellyband (Galco Model) and really likes it. It works well with dress clothes. You do "get what you pay for" when buying belly bands or any holster for that matter. If you get an IWB I recommend getting one with 2 attachment points. The holsters with the clip/attachment in the center of the holster seem to not conceal as well as those with 2 attachments. You might also want to check out the Smart Carry holster. Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

SO. That's where I am. I'm thinking I'm ready to trade in my Kel-tec for a bigger round. Blah blah. Any advice is appreciated. From the women. And if you're a man and you're reading this and you just CAN'T RESIST, say it, but I will BELITTLE any jokes or useless information you post. :snore:

I was at work, but if I had seen this earlier I'd have posted a joke. :rofl:

Seriously though, one of my best friends is a female firearms instructor. She is a tall, thin girl who usually wears jeans and a t-shirt. Her rig of choice is a Milt Sparks with a 4" 1911.

To me for just about anyone the easier gun to wear IWB is always going to be a single stack. A 1911 or a Kahr most likely. That's not to say you HAVE to choose one of those guns, but the thinner it is the easier it's going to be to cover.

My wife carries a Sig P239 357 Sig. Most of the time in her galco gun purse. Although she does have a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWB that she loves. If she is heading to the range, or just feels like it, she has a couple of OWB holsters that she will either conceal or (Cring....) not conceal.

Hope it helps.

Guest Dr. Pepper

Thanks for the responses guys. I went and checked out some guns on Saturday and I think the Kahr CW9 will be my best option. As much as I'd love to have a 1911 style gun, that's totally out of the question for me at this point. Plus if I'm going to get a 1911, it will be full size and it will be sweet. I think the PM9 was more expensive and I really want all my fingers to fit on the grip. I liked the way the CW9 felt. Also, I think the M&P was too bulky, like the Glock 26, although I love the Glock 26 my husband carries.

Smart carry? What's that? Joking. One look at Kristina, the "smart carry girl," and that awesome Calvin Klein T-shirt and her gorgeous shorts and my immediate reaction is hell no. No seriously, if the OWB ideas I have now don't work out, that may be something I look into. I have a feeling it would make me look too bulky around the hips though. I don't need that in my life. Ha ha. You guys rule. Thanks for the help. And the ladies too.

I wish I could meet the firearms instructor you mention, Punisher. She sounds like she kicks arse.

Thanks for the responses guys. I went and checked out some guns on Saturday and I think the Kahr CW9 will be my best option. As much as I'd love to have a 1911 style gun, that's totally out of the question for me at this point. Plus if I'm going to get a 1911, it will be full size and it will be sweet. I think the PM9 was more expensive and I really want all my fingers to fit on the grip. I liked the way the CW9 felt. Also, I think the M&P was too bulky, like the Glock 26, although I love the Glock 26 my husband carries.

Smart carry? What's that? Joking. One look at Kristina, the "smart carry girl," and that awesome Calvin Klein T-shirt and her gorgeous shorts and my immediate reaction is hell no. No seriously, if the OWB ideas I have now don't work out, that may be something I look into. I have a feeling it would make me look too bulky around the hips though. I don't need that in my life. Ha ha. You guys rule. Thanks for the help. And the ladies too.

I wish I could meet the firearms instructor you mention, Punisher. She sounds like she kicks arse.

Holy crap, the 80's called and said we want our fox back....I nearly spit my coke when I saw that! Why in the world would they put those old as dirt pictures on the site. Those pictures were made before the internet was invented.

I know the instructor that Punisher is speaking of, she is an excellent instructor and also does great kid gun classes.

Edited by db99wj