Wanted a 1911 -- Kimber and range report

Guest johnmattwill

Guest johnmattwill

I have been wanting a 1911 for months now... so finally yesterday I decided to take the plunge..... I had to trade a couple guns to do it, but...

Bought this Kimber Tactical Pro II, and I can say "I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY!!!!".....

Took it to the range both yesterday and today, shot 50 rounds thru it yesterday and 100 rounds today......

Blazer Brass 230 gr FMJ 50 rnds

Independence 230 gr FMJ 50 rnds

Magtech 230 gr FMJ 50 rnds

Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP 5 rnds

Trigger pull is "golden", smooth and easy...... This is one of the most accurate handguns that I have ever shot.... It puts it where you aim it... its alot better aim than I am..... I did have 2 FTF, where the round ended up in the camber , but still protruding about 1/2" out..... with a slight tap on the slide, it would go to full battery with no problems..... This worried me a little, dont know if its a break in period problem or ammo or mag problem, we will wait and see...

I am dissapointed in the mag that came with it..... very "cheap" in my opinion, but I have my eye on an Ed Brown mag that Ill probably pick up tomorrow.

The only other difference in this gun than the Sig's and Springfields that I have owned is the disassembly..... You have to insert this little tool into the guide rod to disassemble that and the barrel from the slide.... I paniced when I couldnt figure out how to do it, but once I found the correct procedure, its actually really easy........

Now the search for a IWB holster, an Ed Brown Mag and Im good to go.....

I couldnt be more pleased with this handgun.........

KimberProII001.jpg

Edited by johnmattwill
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TurboJeff

I just bought a Tatical Custom II a couple of weeks ago. It's the full size version of the gun you got. I also had a very good range trip with it the first time out.

Sounds like we had a similar experience with the FTF. I also had 2 out of 200 rounds that did not fully seat into battery. Certainly nothing to worry about during the break in period. I can't wait to get it back out.

Congrats!!! Your finding are in line with mine. My Kimbers make everyone that shoots them look like a great shot. First timers can pick it up, use it and put holes in the center.

Try out the Wilson Combat mags. You'll like them, especially with yours having the magwell.

Guest abailey362

make sure the run it through the break in period ( 500 rds i think) that they reccommend in the manual. The only problem I've had with kimbers is problems feeding JHP's, as they stick on the ramp.

and don't loose the take down tool....it's tiny and can dissapear quickly

make sure the run it through the break in period ( 500 rds i think) that they reccommend in the manual. The only problem I've had with kimbers is problems feeding JHP's, as they stick on the ramp.

and don't loose the take down tool....it's tiny and can dissapear quickly

If you do lose it, a tiny allen wrench or straightened paper clip will suffice.

And no I haven't lost mine (yet).

I haven't had trouble with JHP's IF they are well rounded like Gold Dots and Golden Sabre.

Guest Brian@GunDepot

Gratz on the new gun.

I've had best luck with Gold Dot, Fed HydShock and Hornady XTP/TAP in Kimbers. Never had any problems (other than normal break in) with 230gr FMJ practice ammo.

The Wilson Combat mags work excellent in the Kimbers too.

Guest johnmattwill
+1 on the Wilson Combat mags. All I run are 47d's.

Thanks for the advice.... gonna order a WC #47D tomorrow .........:snore:

Tripp Research Gen II CobraMags are the best 1911 mags I've ever used...same price as Wilson and get the hybrid follower (they offer 2 different followers)

Hybrid follower Tripp Research Mag on the way too!!!! Thanks,

can never have enough mags!!!

Edited by johnmattwill
Guest HexHead

Yep Wilson mags are all I use on my carry guns. 47Ds or the newer ETM.

One tip with the Kimber, be sure you don't depress the grip safety when removing or re-installing the slide. It can shear off the Swartz safety and that's not covered under the warranty.

No, it didn't happen to me. LOLOLOL

I'm used to the procedure having had two Kimbers, but it's the one thing I don't like about them. Problem with having so many 1911s from different manufacturers, the Para for instance, you have to depress the grip safety when removing or reinstalling the slide. You gotta remember which procedure for which.