Any guys out there doing small food plots using atv's?

I have a list of questions.  I don't have a tractor and if I did, I don't think I could get it into the area that I am trying to put a food plot in.  I have a 2007 4010 kawasaki mule which unfortunately has a 1.25 trailer hitch and not a 2 inch.  The area that I am clearing is a clearcut with about 5 years of growth.  Lots of briars, blackberries, wild rose, privot, black locust, and lots of scars from clearing it. 

1.  I was planning on going some of the no plow stuff from whitetail institute because I am not sure what to plant otherwise and I figured I might not be able to really break up the soil very well.  Any better options?

2.  What is a good implement that I can use with my mule to break up the soil?  Are the aggressive chain harrows any good for breaking up the soil?  The ones with the spikes, not just the chain link fence style like they use on baseball fields.

3. Lime and fertilizer.  The instruction on the throw and grow recommends that if you aren't getting your soil tested then use a ton of lime per acre and 400lbs of fertilizer per acre.  I am looking at probably about an acre or so this year.  Thats allot of lime and fertilizer for an acre.  What will it cost?  I guess I need to seriously invest in a good broadcast spreader. Any recommendations?

4.  If I do annuals like rye, does that mean I have to go through this all over again next years or will it reseed itself?  I know thats a probably a really ignorant question but I have never done this before.

Trying to get a couple small patches going now before it gets too late.  The main area will be a fall planting.  Also thinking about planting persimmon trees around the edges 

Edited by JimFromTN
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1: figure out what you want plant. 

2: get a soil sample.

I have on field that requires zero lime and very little fertilizer year after year.  A second field requires about 2 tons. They are 2 hundred yards from one another. To make matters worse I planted alfalfa in the second field. LOL

I am really wanting  to do a fall planting of a rye mixture.  I was planning on getting  a soil sample for my big plot for the fall planting.  I am trying to get 2 small areas done in the next few days before it gets too hot and won't have time for a soil test.

A soil test is a good investment and will potentially save you money.  If you are worried about being able to turn soil, plant something like clover or brassica that doesn't require more than 1/4in of soil coverage.  Clover can be annual or perennial depending on variety.  Rye and brassica will require replanting each year.