Reviews and opinions on Head down ARs

FireMedic

Good afternoon fine gun folk,

I was at my local gun store today and saw a Head Down AR pistol which got me looking at their website. I am very intrigued especially with them being a TN company. However, before I purchased a rifle from them I wanted to see what you fine folk had to say about the product? I am not looking for a sales pitch just honest feedback about your experience with their rifles and AR pistols. Price wise they are in the same price point, even a little higher than, Aero Precision which is a company I am far more familiar with. So, before I spend more than what I would for another Aero I wanted to see are their firearms are worth the price increase. I do not mind paying for quality. However I do not want to be paying $200 more than an Aero just in the name of supporting a TN company that makes a mediocre product (no offense intended just a hypothetical). Again, real life first person experience and insight appreciated. 

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AR manufacturers are a dime a dozen. What I look for in an AR is a combination of material selection and quality, good fit/finish/machining, a track record of reliability/qc/support, and then enhancements like altered cam pin path, ambi controls, etc. With any pump in price, I expect more from each category. 

Aero (up until some recent QC issues) produces a very solid, basic gun with the right materials and finishes, and is a baseline that I compare other rifles against. I don't see anything unique from Head Down that makes me think they are producing a better rifle than Aero. With all of the manufacturers on the market, they need to demonstrate why they are worth their asking price over a competitor. 

For the price of a head down, you can get an LWRC DI, which has a CHF fluted barrel, full ambi controls on the lower, a semi monolithic upper, an enhanced bolt carrier, and excellent fit/finish.