Tantal Kit: Eating my words about local gunshop.

Guest 70below

Guest 70below

I've had quite a few instances in the past where I left Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville with a bad taste in my mouth. I'm ready to eat alot of my words.

I have two Polish Tantal parts kits (AK-74ish) that I was wanting to have built along with about a million other people right now. Most of gunsmiths that have made a name for themselves doing work on AKs are booked 6 months to a year out or more. I decided to take one of my Tantal kits into Coal Creek to have assembled. I figured worse case scenario it would take 3 months to build and be at least as good as a Century built Tantal. I talked to the gunsmith there and he seemed very knowledgeable and capable, the staff was friendly. A friend had a pistol refinished there and I was happy with how his turned out, it just took longer than he anticipated. I figured I was in no rush, so I would give them a chance.

I took them the parts kit, and a Nodak Spud Tantal receiver, and they were going to de-mil, assemble, parkerize, and purchase and install the compliance parts for me.

Much to my amazement they called after about a week telling me that my rifle was assembled and heading off to finishing. It took a little over a week and a half before they called me to let me know that the rifle was complete! So a little less than 3 weeks! Sure beats the 3 months I was prepared for! I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be satisfied with the build quality if they pushed it out that fast, I was wrong. Once again the staff was friendly and quick to help even though they were very busy in the shop. The rifle looks fantastic. They did a very professional and quality job on what was honestly the kit with the worst finish (though it wasn't horrible, just a bit more worn). The new finish was very even and looks seamless! The only spot that has some variation was on the welds on the folder, but I would expect that as the composition of the metal is different I'm sure. It looks and feels like a new rifle all the way around. If it shoots as good as it looks I'll be a VERY happy camper.

The only negative I would say, would be the final price. I could have had it done by the industry leader for less. But honestly, it probably would have taken 10 times as long. Visually, I can't imagine it looking much nicer, so if it fires well, I got just as good a job, for a little more, without the wait, so I can't complain too much. I'm very tempted to take them my other kit and let them have at it too. DEFINITELY better quality than any Century rifle I've seen.

tantal_fold.jpg

tantal_left.jpg

tantal_stock.jpg

tantal_close.jpg

Edited by 70below
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks very nice. Congrats.

I have one just like it (Century Build ) mine is RARE ,nice finish, early ser #, straight front sight block and it doesn't keyhole at any distance. I am happy with it.:up:

Get us a Range Report.

Guest 70below

I finally made it out to the range on Saturday to put my Tantal through the paces! That thing is awesome. A lot of fun to shoot, and I didn't have one problem out of it through about 100rds of shooting. Definitely a keeper!! They must have bore sighted it too.

I was shooting 50yds, just fast and dirty with surplus ammo and tore up a 3 or 4" hole about 4" high at 50yds. Not bad for an iron site AK with a wire folder. I was really impressed how little felt recoil there is with that 5.45 round. Even less that a .223. That gas system eats it all up I guess. You could barely feel any recoil in the folder at all. I'm gonna have to find out if the Larue IronDot will fit on it.

Awesome, im gonna have them deck out my Saiga 12 in the very near future.
They've got mine right now. I've talked to Shannon (the Smith) several times, and I've been impressed with the work he's done for me and others. Can't wait to get it back!

TJ, if the weather holds up the way it's supposed to, maybe we can swing by the farm on Saturday and pop off a few rounds with the Tantal. I'm REALLY curious about those 5.45's.

Well I provided a trunion with mine for the Ace stock so maybe that will bump me ahead :shrug:
Nope. I provided ALL my own parts. Internal receiver block, folding mechanism, Tromix stock, Tromix-modified G2 trigger group, Tromix DIY trigger guard, Tromix slotted Galil handguard, Tromix shark break, and SAW pistol grip. The only thing Shannon has to do for me is add the Ultimak rail. So :P right back atcha!

Okay, I'm off to shoot TJ's Tantal that was the original subject of this thread!

Nope. I provided ALL my own parts. Internal receiver block, folding mechanism, Tromix stock, Tromix-modified G2 trigger group, Tromix DIY trigger guard, Tromix slotted Galil handguard, Tromix shark break, and SAW pistol grip. The only thing Shannon has to do for me is add the Ultimak rail. So :P right back atcha!

Okay, I'm off to shoot TJ's Tantal that was the original subject of this thread!

Mines already been converted...im just getting the coating, ace stock(fixed), and modifying the MD-20s and installing the updated gas plug :-D So we shall see whose first :shrug:

Mines already been converted...im just getting the coating, ace stock(fixed), and modifying the MD-20s and installing the updated gas plug :-D So we shall see whose first :rolleyes:
Well crap. ;)

And MD20s? As in plural? Very nice. I need to go ahead and order that gas plug, too.

Oh, and TJ's Tantal was VERY nice!

• 2 weeks later...