had a very good educational opportunity tonight

Guest archerdr1

Guest archerdr1

tonight I took my family out for dinner at Chef Lin's chinese buffet. I couldn't legally carry there b/c they serve alcohol. As I was paying, I noticed the sign behind the counter. It was an old one and it said "sold or served" The lady checking me out spoke really good english, so I said "do you know that the sign is out of date? She said that she was told that by a couple of people and that the owner just has not replaced it and was not going to because hopefully it would be taken down in a couple of months. This being said, I told her that I could not stand that law and that I really hoped that the bill passes. She said, I really hope that everyone that has a permit does not keep theirs out of there because if something were to happen at least they would have a fighting chance. She then said, "What if someone did something and nobody could stop it because they aren't allowed to have a gun" Glad to have children that still need a diaper bag :hint hint:, my holster was showing in my unbuttoned shirt. She then had one of those "here's your sign" moments. She said, "I have been wondering, if someone were to attack you, if you have a permit, can you actually shoot them?". I wanted with all of my being say, "nope, all I can do is show it to them and say, 'hey, I got one of those too!'" but she was so nice that I just said, "if I feel that the my life/limb or that of another is in danger, I can do what I have to to protect that". I talked to her a little more, told her about the lady in texas who lost her mom and dad b/c she didn't carry in a rest. that served, and had a really pleasant conversation and as I walked out the door, I pointed to my wife and 2 boys and said, "I have 3 good reasons for having a permit and carrying, and they are standing right there." She said she is now thinking about getting a permit too. I was glad for that educational opportunity.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes. spread the word.

Am glad that was a positive. I educated the security at the liquor store tonight that it was no longer sold or served......I have seen that sign a lot lately. My dad works security at a marina that still has that sign up....and I have not made a point to bring it to their attention....but like your new friend said....maybe in a few months that will not matter.

Guest archerdr1

I read your post about the liquor store. Good job, but I personally don't know that i would have gone back...I wouldn't have been rude, but I probably would have said, "I am sorry you feel that way, I will go on to another store where people aren't uncomfortable with it" but I wouldn't say that you handled it wrong, I just personally take my business places that don't respect my personal right to bear arms. Different strokes... All in all, it was a fun night. Got into a good discussion with the guy in the hunting/fishing area of Dick's sporting goods too, gave him this website and told him to check it out. I went in to get some .45 ACP ammo, but they were out...not a total waste of time though, got good conversation out of it.

Guest archerdr1
I think the more important issue is eating at Chef Lin :screwy::puke:

man, I love that place... I always feel better about 1/2 hour after eating there (...hearing toilet flush...)

archerdr1, I definitely see your point about the not going back, but without going back I would have had a brief "trespassing" conversation with her......going back unarmed gave me the right to be there and selling her on the idea for any period of time.......and I live in a small town and somehow think I can make a difference. you know.....if there had been a sign or a we don't allow concealed carry attitude, I would have been much more rude....but she was really just not sure what to make of it. If it takes me a 30$ Hero Gear gift certificate to give to them this Christmas, I will make them a believer:) lol

Guest archerdr1

no argument here. I may have gone back in to tell her my position, but I think that what you said about the other post could be a good step too. Talk to the owner, tell him what happened and maybe he can talk some sense into her too. Hey, nobody likes a two front war, if she is getting schooled by you on one front and him on the other, maybe she will come to her senses. Give it a try. Kudos on the schooling of the guard too. Also, I grew up in a small town in Mississippi and I do understand the point of the small town. I would probably do the same thing as you back home (well, not in the liquor store b/c it is a dry county and they don't have liquor stores anywhere near my town, but in any other place of business) Here in Chattanooga, they don't get that kind of kindness from me, I tell them, well, there are many other liquor stores around.

Edited by archerdr1
Guest Ctucciar

mmmm Chef Lin. Try to eat there at least once a week for regularity.

Glad to know the support gun carry in places that serve alcohol.

As I stated in the liquor store post...the biggest problem with these types of signs is the law still requires them to be posted.

57-4-203(k) Sign Required — Penalty for Noncompliance.

(1)
Each holder of a license to sell wine or other alcoholic beverages for on the premises consumption shall display in a prominent place at the location where such sales are permitted a sign, at least six inches (6") high and fourteen inches (14") wide stating:

MISDEMEANOR. STATE LAW PRESCRIBES A MAXIMUM PENALTY OF ELEVEN (11) MONTHS TWENTY-NINE (29) DAYS IMPRISONMENT
AND A FINE NOT TO EXCEED TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($2,500) FOR CARRYING WEAPONS WHERE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ARE SOLD OR SERVED.

(2)
Failure by such licensee to comply with the provisions of subdivision (k)(1) is a Class C misdemeanor.

Apparently this law was never changed when carry was allowed in places that sell alcohol. Also I have seen nothing in any of the restaurant carry bills that address changing 57-4-203 this time.

Glad to see Chef Lin's position!!

Guest archerdr1
Especially since that lady found a mouse in her dinner...

:rolleyes:

mmm, good source of protein...never heard about the mouse. I do enjoy the food there though, if I found a mouse I might change my mind.

As I stated in the liquor store post...the biggest problem with these types of signs is the law still requires them to be posted.

Apparently this law was never changed when carry was allowed in places that sell alcohol. Also I have seen nothing in any of the restaurant carry bills that address changing 57-4-203 this time.

Glad to see Chef Lin's position!!

Just dropped a email to support changing this or removing it completely.

Guest Grout
If you like mouse in your Chinese,I know a great little place down by the corner of Dodds,and 23rd!

Quaint little place it is!

Is that place still open? Also FWIW The lady who owns Proni's is pro gun.She and her husband took the permit class from a friend of mine.He said she is a good shooter but a little wild with her gun handling.:D

I do believe I have seen restaurant reports in the paper on them,so Id say yes.

Although it would take an excursion guide to navigate through all the brush!

You mean the little lady? Yeah,shes a little wild handling anything! Methinks she needs some ritalin

Guest kingtone

Kudos for being courteous and spreading the word in a diplomatic and educational manner. This thread should be stuck alongside the thread about 'the nerve' of some people.

I believe you did it right.. good lesson for us all.

Guest archerdr1
If you like mouse in your Chinese,I know a great little place down by the corner of Dodds,and 23rd!

Quaint little place it is!

actually, I used to eat there in college. (I have a gut of steel, the price was right.) If you can find the door, he will move all of his books and clean a table for you. It actually TASTES good. You surely won't get more authentic chinese food anywhere else. My parents like going there, but when they ask to go I say, I know of some more clean ones. He is a student at Tennessee Temple University and used to live across the street from me. nice guy but my rottweiler went missing while I was living there...there always was a certain suspicion in the back of my mind.

Guest archerdr1
Kudos for being courteous and spreading the word in a diplomatic and educational manner. This thread should be stuck alongside the thread about 'the nerve' of some people.

I believe you did it right.. good lesson for us all.

thanks, I do it every chance I get.