Gun Safe in Garage

I have outgrown my safe and thought about buying a new one. However, I don't have anywhere in the house to put it. What about installing it in a garage? Would a desiccant pack, or two, keep moisture out well enough to keep the contents from rusting? My garage is under one end of the house but it still gets plenty steamy in the rainy season.

Guest VolDaddy

Ive been told if you put one in a garage put it on hockey pucks.

And put a godden rod in it.(dehumidifer?) I believe.

Im also looking at this idea for my next safe.

I would think you will be battling moisture. You will need a lot of desiccant and have to recharge it regularly.

I believe there are electric dehumidifiers that are made to fit inside of the safes.

Guest m&pc9
in the garage makes em really easy to steal.

+ 1

And usually alot of tools to break into it also. A saw zall with a metal cutting blade or a hand grinder it wouldnt take long to get in one.

Guest EasilyObsessed
in the garage makes em really easy to steal.

If someone has the motivation to break into, or steal, a gigantic safe...I can't fathom that they would consider your front door or window that great of a challenge.

Guest Bluemax

Guys, check out Cortec www.cortecvci.com . I have worked in the shipping and packaging business for nearly 15 years and cannot pay them enough compliments. The founder of the company is a fellow named Boris Miksik, who's autobiography reads like an Ian Fleming novel. He defected to the U.S. from Croatia amid UNBELIEVABLE hardships put upon him to keep his ideas in the Communist countries. I know the factory Rep who works in this area if anyone is interested. If you go to their website, check out the VCI Emitters, they are perfect for a gunsafe

I've considered the garage myself. If I do then I plan to build a cheap-looking cabinet around it. One that looks like the kind of thing you use to store paint and other misc. crap. Other than that, get it anchored into the concrete and put a goldenrod in it and you should be good.

• Like 1

"Golden Rods" may be the ticket, but I would check them regularly. I was helping a friend of mine move. He opened the safe to start moving guns and his family heirloom Browning A-5 was covered all over with rust. He thought the "golden rod" was doing the job. Evidently it stopped working for one reason or another. I've always used the dessicant packs in a safe that sits in a basement. Has worked for years so I'll stick to what works.

Guest m&pc9
If someone has the motivation to break into, or steal, a gigantic safe...I can't fathom that they would consider your front door or window that great of a challenge.

I think he means you can just back a truck into the garage and take the whole safe.

Guest HexHead

Hw about a safe in a shed next to a car port? I can see a problem with garage in that anyone can see it the garage door open. I'm thinking about putting one in my shed. Or would the temperature extremes, especially in the summer be a problem?

I have my safe in the garage. I use both a golden rod and dessicant packs and have never had a problem. I keep mine off the floor with a couple of two by fours and then ran the bolts through those into the concrete. I also have a motion detector for my alarm in the garage. If someone is motivated enough to get my safe after all of that they can have it, I have insurance. But hell, the safe itself weighs almost 1000 pounds. Add to that the numerous guns and other stuff in there and we're looking at almost a ton. I keep mine covered with a UT throw blanket, so for the casual observer that might peek into my garage it just looks like I'm supporting my wife's favorite team.

• Like 1

Most garages aren't wired with an alarm, while many (most?) modern houses are...

Guest bkelm18
Most garages aren't wired with an alarm, while many (most?) modern houses are...

If someone is going through the trouble of wiring their house with an alarm, I would venture to say the garage is going to be wired as well. Maybe its just me but I have never seen a house with an alarm where the garage wasn't wired as well.

Guest EasilyObsessed

Any house where I have lived, which had an alarm, has had the garage wired as well. At the worst, after putting a $1k+ safe in your garage I would hope that someone could fork out the cash to have a couple extra sensors added to their alarm system. Of course, I have only ever lived in houses with attached garages. I would probably not be comfortable with putting a safe in a detached garage.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest david_g17
Keep about 10lbs of black powder in your safe. If they try to torch the safe.....they'll get their due.

I'm not sure firefighters would appreciate that too much. :x:

I think you could get the effect you're looking for with a bit less than 10 lbs. without creating as much danger for everyone around.

10lbs of black powder will make a heck of a mess.

• 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...