Honest Question For The Experienced

As I have stated before, I have been out of the gun world for over 16 years now, so don't flame me for not knowing this:

Why are the H&K rifles such as the PSG-1 and the MSG-90 not available in the U.S. if there is no "Assault Weapons Ban" in place? Educate me, please!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, you want to step off into expensive ground don't you!

I can't help it. When I was on the PD I shot an officer's MP5, and I've been enamored with the H&K ever since.

I have always been better with a rifle than a pistol, so I tend to gravitate to the rifle. I have missed precision shooting since leaving the PD as their sniper, which is why I recently bought the Savage Model 12 in .308. After 16 years my eyesight doesn't correct to 20/20 - let alone the 20/10 it once did - so I don't know how well I'll do, but that doesn't keep me from appreciating quality.

Here I thought that was part of the Assault Weapons Ban which expired. So now I ask, is there an American made knock-off of the MSG-90?

MSG91new.jpg

PTR's MSG 91 is probably the closest thing to an MSG 90 that you'll find here in the states, not counting conversions from HK53's and the like. Just requires a few after market parts to get the look a little closer to the HK version. MSRP is like $2k on it, before you go hunting for a PSG style grip and optic of choice. Of course, this is also assuming you can actually get your hands on an MSG91, I have yet to see one in person, and none of the dealers I've talked to have either.

Last weekend when I was down in Winchester, Hero Gear had a nice HK53 conversion in the case. Looks close enough to a PSG-1 to make all but the most discerning HK Kool-Aid drinker happy.

MSG91new.jpg

PTR's MSG 91 is probably the closest thing to an MSG 90 that you'll find here in the states, not counting conversions from HK53's and the like. Just requires a few after market parts to get the look a little closer to the HK version. MSRP is like $2k on it, before you go hunting for a PSG style grip and optic of choice. Of course, this is also assuming you can actually get your hands on an MSG91, I have yet to see one in person, and none of the dealers I've talked to have either.

Last weekend when I was down in Winchester, Hero Gear had a nice HK53 conversion in the case. Looks close enough to a PSG-1 to make all but the most discerning HK Kool-Aid drinker happy.

That's pretty cool. Do you know how well it shoots?

Well, my Squad Carbine version has a 16" barrel instead of the MSG91's 18", but I got 4" groups all day long with Radway Green 147gr. Towards the end of the day I cleaned the gun and got some Black Hills 168gr out to try with it. That got me a couple of nice 1.75" groups at 200 yards, but I was tired after an entire day on the range and ~1000 rounds of Radway through the gun.

I'm still figuring out what mine likes best for ammo... PTR's really mess up your brass on ejection, so mine may be relegated to shooting surplus ammo at zombies instead of something more challenging.

Well, my Squad Carbine version has a 16" barrel instead of the MSG91's 18", but I got 4" groups all day long with Radway Green 147gr. Towards the end of the day I cleaned the gun and got some Black Hills 168gr out to try with it. That got me a couple of nice 1.75" groups at 200 yards, but I was tired after an entire day on the range and ~1000 rounds of Radway through the gun.

I'm still figuring out what mine likes best for ammo... PTR's really mess up your brass on ejection, so mine may be relegated to shooting surplus ammo at zombies instead of something more challenging.

Yeah, I didn't think of that. It's not much good if it screws up the brass and you're relegated to shooting surplus. Perhaps I should stay with the bolt actions for distance. Thanks.