Slide Milling for a WC

Hello all, I am looking for a reputable company in Tennessee that can mill my Wilson Combat EDC X9 for a Delta Point Pro. I know Wilson does this, but their lead time is pretty long right now and I need it sooner than later. Obviously it’s an expensive gun so I’d preferably like a company with some experience. Willing to pay premium price to have it done right. Thank you.  

• Administrator

I'm not aware of anyone in Tennessee that does enough of these at a high enough level of quality that I would trust my gun to them.

Why not ask Wilson Combat if they have any recommendations for an alternate?  They surely are aware of companies that can do this up to their level of standards (or better).

Also, don't skimp on having the slide re-coated once it is milled.  Shops that just use cold bluing or spritz some Cerakote on the cut are just doing the bare minimum and the cut will eventually corrode.  Personally, I won't use a shop that doesn't send the slide out for a Melonite / salt-bath nitride finish.

Like you said, this is an expensive gun.  Don't ruin it by being impatient.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I'm not aware of anyone in Tennessee that does enough of these at a high enough level of quality that I would trust my gun to them.

Why not ask Wilson Combat if they have any recommendations for an alternate?  They surely are aware of companies that can do this up to their level of standards (or better).

Also, don't skimp on having the slide re-coated once it is milled.  Shops that just use cold bluing or spritz some Cerakote on the cut are just doing the bare minimum and the cut will eventually corrode.  Personally, I won't use a shop that doesn't send the slide out for a Melonite / salt-bath nitride finish.

Like you said, this is an expensive gun.  Don't ruin it by being impatient.

Years ago my small company worked for Accuracy International or Cooper Precision out of UK, coating military sniper rifles.  We used a coating called ‘Gun Koat”.  It is tough as nails and will not chip.  Feed back from sniper’s was excellent.

• Administrator
On 7/12/2023 at 9:02 AM, Beltfed said:

Years ago my small company worked for Accuracy International or Cooper Precision out of UK, coating military sniper rifles.  We used a coating called ‘Gun Koat”.  It is tough as nails and will not chip.  Feed back from sniper’s was excellent.

KG Gun Kote is nice but it's still just a surface coating.  Salt-bath nitriding (Meloniting) is significantly different in that it is affects the molecular composition of the surface layer of the steel by diffusing nitrogen and carbon into it, hardening the surface of the metal and protecting it against wear and corrosion.

Understanding MELONIZING & The Salt Bath Nitriding Process (northeastcoating.com)

I stand by my belief that coatings are just that:  Coatings.  If you want to protect the gun from corrosion, a nitrocarburized finish is superior.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
20 minutes ago, Beltfed said:

A bath running at 1000+ degrees was not in our toolbox.  Cost may be also higher, I don’t know.   We did .50 caliper barrels for $50 each.  How much does your coating cost for same barrel?

Thanks, Bob

I paid around $50 extra to have my last modified Glock slide melonited.  Worth it.

1 minute ago, TGO David said:

I paid around $50 extra to have my last modified Glock slide melonited.  Worth it.

1 minute ago, TGO David said:

Does you vendor bead blast your slide first?