Guns In Parking Lots At Work To Be Discussed Tomorrow 4/8/09

The following Bills to be considered tomorrow in the Criminal Practice and Procedure of Judiciary Sub-Committee at 12:00 noon (Nashville time)

2. *HB0724 by *Kelsey. (SB1129 by *Norris.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, allows persons with handgun carry permit to carry in public parks, public postsecondary institutions, and places where alcoholic beverages are being served; allows judges to carry firearms where law enforcement can carry if they have permit or appropriate training. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 and Title 70.

Summary for *HB0724

4. *HB1395 by *Evans. (SB1724 by *Bunch.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, prohibits employers from prohibiting persons possessing a handgun carry permit from transporting and storing a firearm out of sight in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for vehicles. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1395 as introduced.

49. *HB2376 by *Shepard. (SB2334 by *Jackson.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, modifies the methods for disposing of certain confiscated weapons. - Amends TCA Section 39-17-1317.

Summary for *HB2376

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HB1395 is going up upset a lot of employers. i wonder if that will have an effect on the passing of this bill? there are so many out there that have you sign papers stating you can be fired for having a weapon on company property. that is BS as it denies me the right to defend myself to and from work. maybe tha6t will be pointed out as well.

my last job allowed us to conceal carry on the job and it was wonderful. at any given time, there were 5 of us armed out of the 15 there on a daily basis. the only rule was try not to have an obvious print and out of sight is out of mind. we dealt with a lot of retired clients and you know you can lead a horse to water...............

Guest Bluemax

HB1395 is really going to stir the pot. The problem is going to be, that in TN, as a "right to work state", a employer can teminate a employee at any time and doesn't even have to give a specific reason.. I'm a big fan of locking my gun in the glovebox and keeping my mouth shut

Are there restrictions on HB1395, like when it may come into conflict with an existing law? For example, if I am an employee of UT, can I take my shotgun to work if I am going to the range afterward, as long as it is locked in the trunk, or would this be prohibited, since my employer is also a post-secondary institution?

Guest Rem_700

I work for the board of education and am at all the schools in the country through out the day.Wonder If I would be allowed to leave it locked in my truck?

Here is my question. Why are there protests when there are threats of an income tax but nothing when they're talking about our RTKBA?

Are there restrictions on HB1395, like when it may come into conflict with an existing law? For example, if I am an employee of UT, can I take my shotgun to work if I am going to the range afterward, as long as it is locked in the trunk, or would this be prohibited, since my employer is also a post-secondary institution?

The bill only applies to handguns, not long guns.

Also it still lets a "governmental entity or agent thereof" to post including the parking lot.

Guest GhostHunter
HB1395 is really going to stir the pot. The problem is going to be, that in TN, as a "right to work state", a employer can teminate a employee at any time and doesn't even have to give a specific reason.. I'm a big fan of locking my gun in the glovebox and keeping my mouth shut

That's what I'm gonna do, whether this bill passes or not. Or I guess I can park my vehicle on the side of the street and off my employers property.

Guest crotalus01

Personally I would prefer to see this bill passed over Restaurant carry if I had to choose just one. I can modify where I eat much easier than I can find a new job making my current benefits and salary...

Guest GhostHunter
Personally I would prefer to see this bill passed over Restaurant carry if I had to choose just one. I can modify where I eat much easier than I can find a new job making my current benefits and salary...

I agree. I would take the parking lot bill over the restaurant carry any day, if I had to chose between the two.

Guest crotalus01

So can anyone tell me what is going on with this bill?

Also, how does it jibe when the company has a no guns on company property policy, but at the same time employs armed corporate security?? Hypocrites...

Guest pjblurton
So can anyone tell me what is going on with this bill?

Also, how does it jibe when the company has a no guns on company property policy, but at the same time employs armed corporate security?? Hypocrites...

I would love to have this one pass too... Even more than restaurant carry.

crotalus01, I bet we share the same employer...

Guest mustangdave

Gotta say +2 on this....