Need a Bit of Legal Advice

Guest Linoge

Guest Linoge
I’m not a lawyer, but I’ll give my opinion anyway. :(

Is he in Tennessee? If not, you are out of luck; any orders would need to be issued in the state he is in. With no real threat that won’t happen.

Has he communicated what a “reasonable person†would believe to be a threat that he is capable of or likely to act on?

Well, advice is what I asked for, so that works :P.

The state thing is an issue... he is in Maryland, so I guess that is out right there. As for the threat, there has been nothing that even I would consider a threat, but there are some laws concerning cyberstalking and the like. Unfortunately, that is one of those nebulous areas that one thing could be stalking, but one other thing that is very much like it is not... Guess that is why lawyers are paid so much.

Thanks for the suggestions of the police force... That is certainly a no-cost alternative, which is always a good thing.

IANAL, but I doubt there's anything you can do. I was able to find out a ton of stuff using specific searches in just a few minutes - all public information.

Also, FWIW, if this guy is halfway decent, he's reading this (or will be soon). By simply using your username (with a few bits of data) in some simple google searches - I found your presence here as the fourth result in a simple google search. Just an FYI.

You may consider changing your username here...

Yeah, but where is the line between finding various information, and consolidating it into one increasingly creepy-assed site?

Changing my username is, indeed, an option, but it is going to be one farther down the road. Doing so now will give him the satisfaction of a response, and given past reactions to such satisfaction, that will only inspire him to newer and lower acts.

I just have to wonder - how do you people attract these nutcases? I only ask because I've personally logged in excess of 75,000 posts to various forums in the last 10+ years, doing a fair job of ticking people off across the entire country. However, I have yet to have anyone turn it into the e-stalker direction.

If the info he's posting is public - it's public.

The odd part is the effort you seem to have put into reverse stalking HIM. WHy exactly is that? Methinks you zigged when you should have zagged (i.e. - kept your fingers off the keyboard for that one last comment).

Apparently, I am quite good at pushing the right buttons at the right times. However, from experiences with other individuals of similar political bents and opinions, he seems to be something of a unique situation, and, as I said, I was not the only individual to whom he has subjected this degree of... attention.

Regarding the information I know concerning him, he has a 10+ year documented history of USENET and forum activity, including his then-ISP cancelling his account in perpetuity for incessantly and vociferously claiming that someone was an escaped murderer. The individual in question happened to have the same name as an accused murderer, but that was the only similarity. After the individual started probing into my life, the "know thy enemy" proverb kicked in, and a simple one-word Google search (his username) told me all the information I know now.

Maybe I did try and argue with this individual on the internet for too long, but when someone is factually wrong, and uses that wrong data to castigate, insult, and attack law-abiding citizens across the country, I spoke up. I guess I will know better in the future.

Ok.. Either I missed something or am having a total brain fart. What the heck is the CA's database?

The Commercial Appeal's database of handgun carry permit holders in Tennessee. It used to have such interesting data as birthdates and street addresses, but it is now limited to full name, zip code, and permit expiration dates.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic