44 Special

Guest weemsf

Guest weemsf

Any 44 Special addicts here? It is my favorite wheelgun round. Always looking for reloading recipes for it. I prefer 200 grain lead bullets for my guns. I have a S&W 21 Thunder Ranch that I may have to unload to pick up one of the new Ruger Blackhawks in 44 Special.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wanted a big bore carry revolver with up to a 3" barrel and a load that will push a 200+ grain HP at around 900 to 1000 fps. Is there a .44 spec +p load like that?

Right now that's just one on my wish list, can't afford anything right now.

Guest weemsf

You might be able to get 900FPS with a 200 grain load. Elmer Keith did some wonderful things with the 44 Special. Basically, the 44 Special is the ballistic twin of the 45 ACP. A modern revolver will take a lot more than standard pressures with this round.

No,but I do like reduced loads in my .44 Mag which is about the same thing.:rolleyes:

Yea, I thought of a .44 magnum lite. I keep my Glock loaded with Hornaday Tap 230gr. +p, they are supposed to give 900 to 1000 fps. I guess I'm still in the mindset back in the early 90's when they compared everything with the Fuller index of stopping power. Back then the .45 and .357 were the top dogs. I don't think they considered the .44 mag as a defense round.

Guest hickok

.44 Special is one of my favorite calibers. I've loaded for it for over 20 years: old Charter Bulldog back in the '80's, an old Triple Lock, a Colt SAA, a Thunder Ranch, and for all my N Frame .44 mags.

I have a couple of .44 Mag 629's in 3" barrels. I consider them .44 Specials that will also double as .44 magnums when desired. ONe reason I sold my Thunder Ranch is that I consider the 3" 629 the same thing without the unnecessary extra inch of barrel.

Can't help you with the 200 grain loads, though; I always shoot 240 grain bullets in mine.

Guest Mugster

I'm a newer .44 magnum shooter. I have a 629, but I prefer the 4" barrel. Seems to balance a little better...but I did look real hard at a couple 3 inchers. I've always been more of a .45 acp/long fan, but, I really like the newer 629's.

It is kind of like a .44 special. With a minimum charge of most handgun powders a 240 runs about 925ish out of mine. Its enough heat to let you know its not tame, but fun to shoot. The brass looks like it will hold up a long time shooting it like that. I haven't tried any special brass or loads.

Love little .44 special 180 grainers with Unique though a full size magnum gun. Light enough to be plinkers, but actually have enough punch to hunt with.

They can be reloaded a LOT...have some 44 special brass that I have been using since the 1980's that is still going strong.

Guest weemsf

I have two 44 Special revolvers at present. One I have not fired, the TR S&W, but the Taurus I had Don Williams customize is unbelievably accurate. It started life as a 4" SB and he made it into a 3" RB for me. Jack Weigand used to make custom Taurus 44 Specials, but have not seen nor heard of one is a good long while.

Guest hickok
Where does everyone get their 44 special ammo? I have no trouble finding 44 Mag but special is harder to find.

Tempest, if you want to shoot much .44 Special, I'd highly recommend handloading. If a shooter has interest in shooting a fair amount of certain calibers (10mm, .44 Special, .45 Colt, etc.), handloading is the answer, for sure.

I've loaded all these calibers for many years, so I think of them the way most think of 9mm, .40 S&W, .44 Mag, .45 ACP, etc. The fact that a box of these cartridges in some gun shops can require a 2nd mortgage to purchase is totally irrelevant to me. They cost me the same as any other cartridge, more or less.

In fact, with the shortage of small pistol primers, I'm shooting more of my favorite large caliber rounds for the same price or less than what folks are paying for 9mm in gun shops, when they can find it, that is.

Guest Mugster
I just bought reloading dies for .44 spl/mag. Can't wait to be able to shoot what I "create". I'll definitely shoot my 629 more now that I'm reloading.

I think my .44 mag die set and 200 pieces of brass paid for itself in 75 shots. The markup on .44 and .45lc is outrageous and that was before the craziness started.

Where does everyone get their 44 special ammo? I have no trouble finding 44 Mag but special is harder to find.

I've seen specials at Academy, when they are in stock, but they're basically the same price as magnums.

I think Reloaders Bench had specials in stock last week when I was there. But a lot happens in a week.