Taurus PT1911

Guest Hyaloid

I appreciate the input. Yeah, the GI model can be found for a little more. But, honestly, I could give a rat's ass what other folks think of my stuff. :usa:

Yeah, exactly.

If the gun works for you then "the guys at the range" can take themselves and their mega-buck guns and holster them in a dark place.

I have to say the quality on the Rock Islands has improved a lot since I first started seeing them some years ago.

I sold one to a forum member here and he told me just today how well it runs.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mugster
Yeah, exactly.

If the gun works for you then "the guys at the range" can take themselves and their mega-buck guns and holster them in a dark place.

I have to say the quality on the Rock Islands has improved a lot since I first started seeing them some years ago.

Hey Rabbi, taurus pt1911 or RIA?

I've never shot an RIA, but they do look a bit better than when they first came out.

Guest Hyaloid
Yeah, exactly.

What swayed me is the reports of top notch customer service. You hope you never need it, but if you do, it better be good. If the product is supported by knowledgable people, and they try to make their customers happy, then I want to support those businesses.

What swayed me is the reports of top notch customer service. You hope you never need it, but if you do, it better be good. If the product is supported by knowledgable people, and they try to make their customers happy, then I want to support those businesses.

That is very important. When I sold my Kimber and bought an S&W a few friends wondered what was wrong with the Kimber. Nothing really, I just didn’t like the finish and wanted a stainless gun. S&W has never failed me in over 35 years, and their customer service is the mark my which other gun manufacturers are measured…. So I went with them.

So since you are buying based on Customer service which S&W do you think you will get? biggrin.gif

Yeah. I have a Taurus 1911 in the shop. It appears to be a fine gun for the money. I would love to sell it.

But I have to agree with the post on THR on customer service. I have waited over a year for a thumbpiece and screw to a Taurus revolver. Their customer service is worse than Lorcin's. Lorcin at least is out of business so you don't have to worry they'll get it right.

Unfortunately they do make pretty good quality guns at very attractive prices so they will continue to sell until someone else takes over that niche.

Guest Hyaloid

Thanks for that link... I actually read that thread after searching THR, and it defintely helped make my decision. I also read some mixed reviews on the m1911 forums with the Taurus, but unanimously great with the RIA

Guest Mugster

Personally, I hope these bad taurus service stories will keep rolling. That means better prices for me. We are talking about a standard 1911 pistol here...there's parts everywhere (including frames) and if mine broke somehow, I'd fix it myself. :D

I did read some of those taurus service threads. I got a pretty good laugh at the one guy who said his taurus was broken out of the box. Now there's a guy who didn't do a function check before he bought the piece. There's this invention called "inert practice rounds"...try dry firing before you buy to see if the slide locks back or if a round feeds or if the holes line up with the barrel. If they won't let you inspect/dry fire the piece for some reason, i'd walk out.

Also, a lot of idiots like to go in gunshops and take a pistol or rifle apart (and the idiots that seem to work in gunshops too, for that matter). I guess they want to see whats in there, I dunno. If the shop you are considering puchasing from allows this, I'd walk as well, because I've seen more than one pistol put back together wrong...I've fixed more than a few while browsing. If it gets test fired while in an incorrect state, it can really mess them up.

Quality shops around here are pretty thin, imo, although I don't go to gunshops much anymore because of poor service, overpricing, or just idiotic employees. Thank God for midway, knock on wood. Honestly, franklin gun seems pretty good to me, or the reloaders bench. I'd view any other place as a really hostile environment until i looked at their business practices or got to know them.

One time i went looking for mags for my browning hi-power. I went in this one shop, and got into an argument with the "gunsmith" in the back...he told me it was a clip and not a magazine. I asked him where the magazine well was located...no answer. Walked out never to return. I was even in uniform at the time, go figure. Man would have to be a fool to buy anything there.

Recently, I bought a sabre arms lower at the gunshow down at the fairgrounds, supposedly a premium quality lower. I figured, for 20 extra bucks i'll support the local economy. The one the guy pulled out had 2 finishing blemishes on it (one pretty bad) and in one place I think the machining was actually off, so I threw it back and asked for another which looked ok and has worked well for me.

Moral of the story, "let the buyer beware". This has always been true in firearms and things are worse now than they have ever been. If you don't know what you are doing or buying, then take someone with you who does.

• 1 month later...

Granted, I'm digging up an old thread, but I've played extensively with my PT1911

Out of the box, two issues. The grip safety tab that stops the trigger stirrup was rounded, and you could damn near pull the trigger without the grip safety engaged. Chucked it and put an Ed Brown safety in and blended it. Frame was nice enough I didn't even have to grind, only needle file it smooth. Then the front sight set screw pretty much fell out while handling. A bit of locktite and a thin rubber shim and no issues with around 1000 round through it.

Trigger looks screwy as hell, but funtion was great. I still ended up dropping in a Cylinder and Slide Tactical kit (hammer,sear,disconnect) which caused me to find another weak point, and I'm lost as to why so far. The series 80 pieces acually cause some interference with the action. I'll be hitting brownells up for new pieces.

I also sanded down the flats of the slide (didn't take much, weak finish) and reblued it to get rid of the gold Taurus billboard. I also fitted a Wilson combat magwell which I'll soon be swapping out for the S&A strictly on appearance. Another bugger for me was after taking the grips on and off while working on it, one actually cracked on me. Crap plastic indeed. For the time being, I have a set of VZ grips on it until my custom Davidson grips arrive next week. I swapped out the barrel bushing also for some neat looking EGW melt piece with a two piece guide rod also.

A neat point, but something that doesn't affect overall performance was the adjusting tabs on the trigger stirrup. I was able to take up all play in the trigger using these.

I bought this gun to learn on. 479 from a shop in Chattanooga back in June I think. It's a damn fine pistol out of the box, but is a tack driver now. So I threw some money into a Taurus.......I also learned the entire operation on a 1911 and can now do some of my own work without sending it over and over to a smith. I've been absolutely tickeled with the Taurus, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a first (or only depending on budget) 1911 for anyone.