Friend was in a car wreck today.

Just another one of my need prayers threads, but hopefully you guys and gals won't mind.

One of my close friends was in a really bad wreck today. He got hit by a utility truck after he fell asleep at the wheel. He is in critical condition at The Med here in Memphis.

He is most likely going to make it, but his skull is crushed and he has a tear in his carotid artery. They haven't even began to assess possible brain damage.

His fiance' and I have known each other since middle school and they are like family to me. Their oldest son was the ring bearer at my wedding and they just had another son a little over a month ago.

This is really hitting us hard so we could use the thoughts and prayers.

Thanks as always guys.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys.

Just got off the phone with my friend earlier. She said they've got him in a medicated coma right now. They are worried about the possibility of a stroke because of the damage to the carotid is causing a clot, but they can't give blood thinners so he's not out of the woods yet by any means.

Update:

I'm posting this from a text I got just a bit ago. Things are going a bit better right now.

"The swelling on his right side has gone down, he got some blood so now his hands are warm and not ice cold. Bleeding in the front of his brain is stable and we are getting good news."

Guest JavaGuy

Here is the contact information for the TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) service coordinator in Memphis. Her job is to help people find the programs and support they need after incurring a TBI. I've met her; she's a great person.

Memphis

Contact: Carolyn Chambers Phone: (901) 545-8487 E-mail: CChambers@the-med.org

Support Group Location Date Time

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memphis – Community Benjamin Hooks Central Library 4th Tuesday 6:00-7:30

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Memphis – Trauma Regional Medical Center Monday a.m.

Memphis – Trauma Regional Medical Center Wednesday a.m.

Memphis - Pediatric Varied (Le Bonheur and other sites) Varied a.m.

Memphis – College & Varied (meets at Benjamin L. Varied Evenings

Career Hooks Central Library and local universities)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memphis – Military Varied (meets at the Veterans Varied

Administration Medical Center #614)

Hang in there. It's a long, hard road. Yep, been there, done that, got a bunch of t-shirts.

Db thanks for posting the update brother. Java thanks for that info.

So far every bit of news we have gotten has been positive so we are being optimistic. My friend also wanted to thank ya'll for the well wishes and prayers. I most certainly appreciate it as well.

Guest Halfpint

Dude I just now found this thread, he's in my prayers and Tink's. Keep us updated, and let me know if I can do anything--probably not, but the offer is open.

Dude I just now found this thread, he's in my prayers and Tink's. Keep us updated, and let me know if I can do anything--probably not, but the offer is open.

Thanks bud.

Update: He is doing ok on the trach tube and is off the vent. His brain activity is good, but he is going to lose his right eye. Hopefully the left will be ok. I'll know more in a bit.