Turkey Season Progress

Guest clutepc

Guest clutepc

Just curious how everyone's season is going Turkey Hunting.

I have yet to get a shot at one with the bow but still working at it.

I'm still dealing with the hen issue but still fun never the less.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jcochran88

Have seen hundreds of birds. Haven't been able to get them away from the hens either. And I use a shotgun can't seem to get the old boys closer than 80 yards. But still going at it.

Guest clutepc
Have seen hundreds of birds. Haven't been able to get them away from the hens either. And I use a shotgun can't seem to get the old boys closer than 80 yards. But still going at it.

I've had a bunch within shotgun range just not bow, I've found a path they take almost every afternoon following the hens..

They won't leave the hens to come to me so I'm going to try and get in early this weekend and get setup with my decoy in the trail and see if that works.

It probably won't but worth a try...lol

These things can drive you a little crazy..guess that's why they call it hunting.

Only thing I've had a shot at is a coyote and It didn't cross my mind to shoot him, didn't really see a reason.

Everyone i've talked to is having problems, either closing the deal, not hearing birds or the birds aren't interested. I've been here in TN where I hear birds every year and there just not there or not vocal. Maybe it'll get better! Went to KY last weekend and they were blowing the woods down. They were hened up mid morning on, but first thing in the morning they were all alone and we killed both mornings.

Season has been tough for me also. clutepc I also have been taking my bow. The hens should be nesting soon (some may already be) so I think the action will pick up for most of us. I can get them to gobble all day they just ain't leaving the babes.

I've hunted deer for years, bu this is my first year to ever hunt turkeys. I have come to the conclusion that they must be smarter than me :(. I could have hit two with my car on the road today, but not any action in the woods. Actually, I stink at hunting these birds because I'm new at it...

It makes me feel a little better that they may not be as vocal this year because I can't locate them. Do you guys use a locator call?

My problems are also compounded because I am also hunting a new and unfamiliar piece of property. I don't want to hijack the thread, but any advice for a newbie turkey hunter on basic locating techniques is appreciated...

Edited by Batman
Guest Jcochran88

I have used locator calls in the past and a little this year. The problem that I see with the crow call or wood pecker call is that there are so many of these in the woods now days. The turkeys are use to hearing them all day long so when you try to use it then they just ignore you. This will change later in the year, when the hens start laying more and they toms become more vocal.

I have used locator calls in the past and a little this year. The problem that I see with the crow call or wood pecker call is that there are so many of these in the woods now days. The turkeys are use to hearing them all day long so when you try to use it then they just ignore you. This will change later in the year, when the hens start laying more and they toms become more vocal.

That makes sense. You're right - I hear crows all day. What about an owl call?

I was driving home from turkey hunting this afternoon when I noticed a hen walking in my lane on a 2-lane country road. I drove right up to her, and she just casually looked back at me as she walked very slowly off the road and into the trees. It was an awesome way to lift my spirits after not being able to locate any birds in the woods. Can't wait to get back out there...

Guest clutepc
Season has been tough for me also. clutepc I also have been taking my bow. The hens should be nesting soon (some may already be) so I think the action will pick up for most of us. I can get them to gobble all day they just ain't leaving the babes.

Same way for me, I can get them to gobble but it never crosses their mind to leave the hens.

I was on them the other morning with 3 maybe 4 right on top of me I couldn't get a good count from all the gobbling.

Didn't make a difference, they wouldn't look my way.

Guest clutepc
I've hunted deer for years, bu this is my first year to ever hunt turkeys. I have come to the conclusion that they must be smarter than me :). I could have hit two with my car on the road today, but not any action in the woods. Actually, I stink at hunting these birds because I'm new at it...

It makes me feel a little better that they may not be as vocal this year because I can't locate them. Do you guys use a locator call?

My problems are also compounded because I am also hunting a new and unfamiliar piece of property. I don't want to hijack the thread, but any advice for a newbie turkey hunter on basic locating techniques is appreciated...

Don't worry about asking any questions, may be something I didn't ask or think of.

I've been fortunate that I've been able to hunt as much as I have, normally 3-4 times a week with a lot of those being all day.

It's helped me learn a lot about hunting and turkey which has been nice.

I've probably over hunted the areas that I'm hunting but it's help me figure out where the birds are. I can get them to gobble but that's not what were trying to do. :cool:

Still can't get a shot at one.

I didn't use a locater call at first I mainly looked for tracks in the dirt and I was able to get on a few that way. My inexperience I'm sure has cost me a few of them.

One thing I've learned about Turkey hunting is it really takes learning everything about them and their habits.

Then everyday I realize I don't know a thing!

Guest sharpshooter01

Just remember, when you think you have them figured out, you don't! That is what I have learned over the years of hunting them. Good luck to everyone.

Smarter than Deer? I've always heard if a Turkey could smell 1/2 as good as deer you would never kill them. Some days Turkey hunting is impossible but if you keep at it you will find a "suicidal" bird he will come in no matter what you sound like. I'm also hoping with the 5 days of sun coming up they will break loose!! Here in SE TN we've not have 4-5 days of good sun.

I'm taking a friend this weekend he's never been turkey hunting. Hopefully we can get on one and at least work him a little.

I have YET to be able to get out and hunt turkey this year. Cross your fingers, I might be able to squeeze in a morning hunt on Sunday. Maybe it's my penance for all the deer hunting I got to do.

I have only been hunting turkey a few years and have had limited success, but I do use an owl locator call and generally get a response if its first thing in the morning, also it works better as the season goes on.

Guest clutepc

Went out this morning and stayed until noon,

Today was the first day since the season started that I didn't hear 1 gobble.

I've been able to get responses everytime I've gone out, guess I've been spoiled..

That really threw me a curve because I've always been able to get a direction to where they were so I had I to work off of the areas I'd seen them before.

Reminded once again, I still don't know a thing about Turkeys. :)

It would be nice if they could find a way to keep the 4 wheelers out of the WMA areas, I'm seeing more and more tracks and damage from them,

Guest clutepc

Yea it's funny how you start questioning your calls and everything your doing when your use to getting responses to your calls and then one day nothing.

All I can say people don't give Turkey hunting the credit it deserves, its so much more of a challenge than I expected.. I think that's why I'm hooked.

Well I have 4 days off starting Thursday of this week. I drove to Franklin today and seen a bunch of turkeys. I seen a few alone hens and the toms I seen had no hens with them, which to me is a good sign. Maybe things will pick up for me and others.

Well, I have to say that this thread has encouraged me. I just started turkey hunting this year, and I have not heard a single gobble. I have found tracks, I have seen birds (hens) on the roads near my hunting land, and the land owner claims to have seen lots of turkeys. I always enjoy just being in the woods, but it would be nice to at least locate a turkey. I'll just have to keep at it...

I am looking forward to getting back out there on Monday. I don't know how long I will stay out since it is gonna be HOT, but the morning should be nice.

Another newbie question: If I haven't located any roosted turkeys or strutting zones, should I just setup in a likely spot and hunt it? or should I put effort into trying to find the birds even after sunrise?

Guest sharpshooter01

Another newbie question: If I haven't located any roosted turkeys or strutting zones, should I just setup in a likely spot and hunt it? or should I put effort into trying to find the birds even after sunrise?

Yesterday I didn't hear a bird gobble on roost, so I went to an area that had scratching all over the last time I was there. I set up and called and then called again about 20 min. later. Next thing I know there is a turkey 15 yards behind me that never made a sound. It was a hen by her self. She picked me out and was spooked. You never know what might happen if you set up where you know they have been.

Later, on my way to the truck, I finally heard a bird gobble one time in the middle of a grown up field. I got setup, called and after 30 min. I had not seen or heard the gobbler. I decided to slip down a tree line in the field just to try and see anything. I walked maybe 20 yards from where I was setup and I'm just standing there when a hen appears 25 yards out. She walks across the field by herself. I guess she was out there gobbling;) because I never heard or saw a gobbler. That ended a good day of hunting. I saw 2 hens by there self from the truck on the way home, so I agree it looks like they are getting ready to go set. I hope anyway.

Edited by sharpshooter01
Guest clutepc

Went out today and setup in a trail where I've seen the Toms following the hens on more than once in the afternoon.

I called like I always do, looked out at my decoy and saw the backend of a turkey sticking out from behind a tree looking at my decoy, grabbed my bow and took another look to get ready to shoot and... it was a hen..

Then at 5:15pm I was getting ready to leave after not hearing 1 gobble, so I got out of blind and was making a good bit of noise and I heard two gobbles not far away.

So I jumped back in the blind called again they were running to me gobbling..called again, they gobbled and were right in front me but I couldn't see them somehow..

( I must be Blind! ).

So I stopped calling to get a shot once I did see them, didn't hear or see anything for a few minutes, so I called again, and they had walked around me and were heading the other direction, called again a few minutes later and they gobbled again still going the other way.

I'm guessing they were just chasing hens and something about my setup made them avoid the trail and go around me...:stir:

I'm about to the point that I want to get some one with a shotgun to setup not far from me so one of us will get them... :D

These two birds have been working me over these past few weeks.

Hang in their Batman.. this is my first year as well and it's tough....