leather holster

Guest heavyd

Guest heavyd

do you ever need to put anything on a leather holster such as saddle soap or neets foot oil,or would this affect the fit of the holster to the gun.also would it affect the finish on the gun .just wondering

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the custom holster makers say to avoid Neatsfoot Oil like the plague, or anything else that will soften the leather.

Most just recommend neutral paste wax, like Kiwi, or colored paste wax if you get significant looking scars...

Leather can always be stretched, but it can't be very successfully shrunk.

A couple of makers do recommend one or two very specialized products, but saddle soap is seldom recommended, and Neatsfoot never.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
OhShoot - What brand is that holster in your member profile picture? Looks great and I like the low carry position. Thanks for your help.

D.M. Bullard Dual Carry.

I have 3 of them for different guns.

Pic shows some clips I was experimenting with, but have since gone back to the normal metal ones that comes with it.

Gun Leather, Concealment and Cowboy holsters, Azle, TX.

- OS

I thought it might be, thanks for the confirmation and the comment on the metal clips. As configured in your picture it looks like a good tuckable design. Going to get one for an XD45 Service. I appreciate your help.

I thought it might be, thanks for the confirmation and the comment on the metal clips. As configured in your picture it looks like a good tuckable design. Going to get one for an XD45 Service. I appreciate your help.

It tucks about as well as most tuckable designs I'd say.

I never had much luck tucking with anything...fortunately I don't have to - the few occasions I have to "dress" it's a Kahr in the pocket for me.

Good luck concealing that XD Service even using IWB ... the gun butt will be the problem. I've had no luck trying with my XD Service 9, but I'm fairly particular about zero print. The XD subbie does very nicely, though.

- OS

Hey OhShoot,

Got my DM Bullard Dual Carry the other day. Did you happen to buy the leather belt loops (2)? If so, like them? Been thinking of maybe getting those. I don't plan on tucking.

Really like this holster. Thanks for your help a month ago, in making my decision.

Hey OhShoot,

Got my DM Bullard Dual Carry the other day. Did you happen to buy the leather belt loops (2)? If so, like them? Been thinking of maybe getting those. I don't plan on tucking.

Really like this holster. Thanks for your help a month ago, in making my decision.

Ya know what, I did, cause I really DO like idea of belt loops.

But I found them to be too "thick" for me.

The loops are fine (they're pretty heavy duty) but added to the piece of leather that attaches the loop to the holster (that goes in your choice of holes where the clip would have before) I just found it a little too thickish for me. Might work for you.

Hmm....pm sent.

- OS

;) Oh Shoot, what made you switch the clips back? I just got a Dual Carry for my P30, and for some reason I've found the supplied clips, in either position, put the gun in a very uncomfortable position. I was considering trying the modified C-Tac clips similar to what yours look like. Just wondering what you thought of them.
;) Oh Shoot, what made you switch the clips back? I just got a Dual Carry for my P30, and for some reason I've found the supplied clips, in either position, put the gun in a very uncomfortable position. I was considering trying the modified C-Tac clips similar to what yours look like. Just wondering what you thought of them.

First of all, you still have them in the slots?

If so, take them out and put on outside in the "tuck" position. I wear them this way even though I never tuck.

This allows the wings of the holster to flex more and mold around your waist better.

Second, even though David's holsters are softer and more pliant from the getgo than some custom makers', like any holster, it takes a bit to form to you once you've found your sweet spot.

Third, speaking of sweet spot, you're not wearing right on point of hip are you? At 3:00? That doesn't work for me with ANY IWB holster. 3:30-5:00 is what most settle on.

As for the Comp-Tac clips, they worked fine but I found that I really couldn't get any more better cant with them than the metal clips and the metal ones are actually flatter than the Comp-Tacs.

If you put the front clip on high hole and back clip on low, I think you'll find that any more cant than this and the outside mouth edge of the holster would actually be below your belt line. This gives about a 20 degree cant, which suits me well.

As for any holster/design/body style, YMMV, but most all the folks who get a Dual Carry seem quite happy with it.

HTH

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I do still have them in the slots, I'll move them and see what happens. I usually wear it between 7 and 8 oclock (lefty), but my issue seems to be the amount of forward cant. It seems like it's way too much, as anytime I move it causes the butt of the gun to dig into my ribs. I currently have the rear clip in the high hole, and the front in the low hole. If I adjust the holster to where it feels comfortable, the front clip is about 1/2" above sitting on the waist of my pants.

All that said, I'm still working with it. This is my first quality IWB holster, still getting used to it.

... but my issue seems to be the amount of forward cant. It seems like it's way too much, ...

That's actually an uncommon complaint.

More folks post that they wish they could add cant, not reduce it.

Cant is the biggest factor in helping hide the gun butt.

Good look with all that.

- OS