I want to start reloading...

Guest clmurray

Guest clmurray

But...i dont want to make a major investment on the front end, just in case i dont enjoy it. Can you point me in the direction of something relatively inexpensive to start off with. Someone mentioned Lee products...would that be a good start?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee is good for starting out with. Try e bay for reloading press, dies and things. I started out with the RCBS Partner kit in 2002. I have RCBS & Lee dies. It seems I use the Lee dies more that the RCBS. I have 9mm, .45ACP, .308, 8mm Mauser, 7.62x39, 300 Win. magnum, and 7.62x54R in RCBS. In the Lee I have .45 ACP, 44 magnum, 7.7 Jap, 30-30, 300 Win. magnum in the Lee. So I use them all. I have the RCBS hand held priming tool. The only shell holder that works with it is the RCBS shell holder. The Lee shell holder will not work in the RCBS priming tool. Good luck finding any reloading components. Brass you can find. Bullets, powder and primers are very hard to find. Primers are really hard to find. I get my primers & powder at The Reloaders Bench in Mt. Juliet, TN. I called about a week ago, no primers except for CCI large rifles magnum primers. I need some, but not at $40.00 a thousand! Try www.gunbroker.com for reloading supplies. I hope this helps you out, gearyr

But...i dont want to make a major investment on the front end, just in case i dont enjoy it. Can you point me in the direction of something relatively inexpensive to start off with. Someone mentioned Lee products...would that be a good start?

You should be able to find some cheap equipment on Ebay and www.reloadersauction.com. The problem you will run into is getting the reloading materials. Primers are becoming scarce. Bullets and powder are still available, but supplies are drying up. This Obama fear is not subsiding.

I bought the Lee anniversary kit to "get started" about 15 years ago. Guess what? I've yet to feel the need to upgrade. Lee has some great engineers who are able to come up with inexspensive, simple solutions. Their stuff is first class. I purchase Lee reloading hardware almost exclusively.

Guest jos2f

I added the price up a few weeks ago buying one of the Lee kits as well as some digital calipers, one set of reloading dies etc. The equipment cost was around $200 sans the actual primers/cases/bullets/powder.

One question I have is: All the powder shipped requires something like a $25 hazmat surcharge. This would bring 1lb of powder to something like $40 dollars shipped.

Are prices locally better for powder than that?

One question I have is: All the powder shipped requires something like a $25 hazmat surcharge. This would bring 1lb of powder to something like $40 dollars shipped.

Are prices locally better for powder than that?

Buying local is cheaper unless you plan on making a bulk purchase. Last time I looked (Reloaders Bench), I saw a 1lb container of powder (AA 2230) for $18-19 and 8lbs for $133.

Guest clmurray

Well...with everything so hard to get...is it worth me even trying to get it started right now? I probably shoot 150-250 rounds of 9mm a week...its starting to add up...i wish i would have started saving the brass a LONG time ago.

Guest Mugster

I guess it depends. I would guess that supply issues will resolve themselves but it may be awhile. I figured things would be back to normal with gun/ammo prices actually dropping like a stone by summer, but no dice so far.

So, I wouldn't overpay for components or tools based on fear buying. But if you see a fair deal, I'd go ahead.

Well...with everything so hard to get...is it worth me even trying to get it started right now? I probably shoot 150-250 rounds of 9mm a week...its starting to add up...i wish i would have started saving the brass a LONG time ago.

If it keeps up you will be able to find a lot of reloading equipment very cheap. Right now components are so hard to find, you could have your press setup for weeks or months and not be able to reload a single round.

Guest jos2f

Hope this is ok to post: There is a guy on another site saying he'll be at the Athens TN gun show this weekend and will have 75,000 CCI primers. So, hope some of ya'll score some!

That may sound like alot to a non-reloader, but its a drop in the bucket. I'd guess he wants $40-45 per K.

I bet they would be selling at a much higher price. Gunbroker is selling primers at 2-4 times there normal cost. Its crazy and people are still buying. :D

They told me at the reloaders bench they had 8million on order!

Not sure I believe that number but they might just hoping to get a portion of that amount. Did they have any idea when they might get some in? Every company I ask says they have no clue.