DENIED.......

It all went thru and i got my gun...... the one thing i dont understand, TBI, FBI or whoever does it goes thru all this to verify my prints and is in contact with the agency where my name was evidently used, but they dont correct it ? I am supposed to do a VAF now, One would figure they would correct the errors when they find them ? ? ? ? ? to just leave the identified error "as is" is wrong. The bad thing is I still do not know where or when my name was used....... i guess that is "top secret" , my name is on a file somewhere in the USA that was a crime ,or something disqualifing me to own a firearm and they wont even tell me.. Thats what burns me up more than anything....

I went through it and it took a long time. The TBI was no help. They say that they do not keep information they receive on back-ground checks on file. They said that it is against the law for them to do so. (Info showing the mistake)

I wrote a letter to the FBI and they sent me back a letter saying that they had informed the TBI of the mistake. Of course that does no good if the TBI doesn’t keep the letter and the mistake is not fixed.

I couldn’t get any answers so I applied for a C&R license. The problem showed up, they told me how to fix it; I did, got my C&R, and have had no problems since. Believe it or not the ATF was far more helpful than any of the other alphabet soup agencies.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 3pugguy

Hang in there and go thru the process to get this bump cleared up. In my work, many of our clients require background checks - 7 years back, felony and misdemeanor only. The number of things that show up on BI checks that should not (arrests but no convictions, etc) would make you bite your own butt...records may be kept on computers, but the input is by humans and when humans get involved, errors (sadly) occur. Also, items that are well outside the seven years we request show up - so much for length of search.

So please keep good records of all letters, documents provided by agencies or others, emails, notes of calls, etc, as you go thru this (and don't mean to sound preachy) and get it squared away.

Again best of luck to you.

Guest Loaded247

Well, I've been buying guns for the past 25 years. Never had a problem...haven't had so much as a traffic ticket in the past 15 years. On top of that, I'm a LEO, have a TN HCP, a New Hampshire Non-Resident Permit, and I'm a TN HCP Instructor. The last gun I bought was 3 weeks ago...

Well, I went into a shop this past Saturday to make a purchase, and was denied!!! I was absolutely devastated...it's the first time it's happened, and I wasn't able to figure WHY it occurred. I DO know that I failed to put my SSN on the form, and this is the first time that I didn't do that...hmmm....

At any rate, I filled out the appeal form and left the shop, feeling WAY down in the dumps. Just over an hour after I left the shop, TBI calls me and tells me that I can pick up my gun?????:drama:

Of course, the shop was closed by then. I'll go by today to see what happens....

Guest TurboniumOxide

My background was run by an employer once and it came back with Assault with a deadly weapon, cocaine possession, domestic violence and a bunch of other crap that wasn't me. It was my name, but not me. My criminal background consists of speeding tickets. Scared the bee-jee-zus out of me. I then told them to run my background with my SSN and they didn't find anything, not even my speeding tickets. Go Figger.

Guest cjames38464

I haven't been denied a gun "yet" but I was almost arrestted at the DMV renewing my drivers license...I was went to the window presented I wated to renew, lady punched the info into her little PC, then got this funny look on her face and motioned for a LEO that was standing close...Then she told him never mind, with a look of releif on her face...Now I am concerned at this point...and ask WTC is going on...She says that when she put in my name & b-day an alert popped up I was wasnted for some felony in Arizona....I have never been to Arizona...But when she was looking at the information the guy was 5ft 6in and weighed 160 lbs with red hair....Lucky for me I am 6ft 2in 260lbs with blonde hair...Turn out this guys name and birthdate match mine and she could not see his SS # and it scared her that a wanted felon was standing in front of her, she thought...LOL...It would have turned out ok but still could have been a trip downtown I guess....This was about five years ago,as when I went to renew in March the same thing happend, alert flashed, but this time I was in my home town and the lady at the PC had known me practically my whole life...we laughed and went on....But this type of stuff happens...

I have to agree with another poster to this, its better for the occasional denial than a BG legally get a gun and give the ANTI-2a idiots more ammo...

Edited by cjames38464
Guest Loaded247

I believe that Glockmeister is right...that sometimes the people at TBI mess up. Still, when I was told my purchase was denied, it hit me like a ton of bricks...not only because I didn't know why, but the whole idea of someone telling me that I could no longer own a gun....just didn't sit well.....

Guest cjames38464
I believe that Glockmeister is right...that sometimes the people at TBI mess up. Still, when I was told my purchase was denied, it hit me like a ton of bricks...not only because I didn't know why, but the whole idea of someone telling me that I could no longer own a gun....just didn't sit well.....

Hadn't viewed it like that...Gee thanks...LOL

All joking aside, from that view point it's scary...

but the whole idea of someone telling me that I could no longer own a gun....just didn't sit well.....

It’s a big leap from being turned down on a check to never being able to own a gun again. That thought never crossed my mind. You know if you can legally own guns or not.

The thought did my cross my mind that I might have to buy my guns the same way convicted felons buy theirs. :stunned:

Guest Loaded247

I guess I'm not much of a 'middle ground' person. Either you can, or you can't....

The way I see it, if I all of a sudden become a 'prohibited person', then legally, I'm not supposed to own all of the stuff I have in my safe...right?

At any rate, I went back to pick it up today, and the guy in the shop called back..and they STILL had it listed as pending...it took him a bit on the phone to finally get it cleared up, but I was able to pick up my gun. Still, that was a lot of bs to go through, and it was basically because TBI had their crap screwed up....

The folks in the shop were pretty good about it...always had good dealings with them...

• 1 month later...
Guest Phantom6
I guess I'm not much of a 'middle ground' person. Either you can, or you can't....

The way I see it, if I all of a sudden become a 'prohibited person', then legally, I'm not supposed to own all of the stuff I have in my safe...right?

Well, if it ever happens again don't blurt out "WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THE THIRTY GUNS AND 36,000 ROUNDS OF AMMO I'VE GOT BACK IN THE BUNKER ????? :tough:

Guest Britestar

Try getting flagged shaken down and searched every time you fly, that is what happens to one of my brothers and he is a member of the terrorism task force in Houston, badge and all. But his name is the same as someone on a watch list and he goes thru it almost everytime he flys badge or no badge. It may be an inconvience and aggrevation but It just may save a life sometime. If you chose not to put in your ssn then well it makes it hard to criticise TBI they have to go with the Info they have,