Restaurant Carry Bill

I am Nicole Goeser. The widow of Benjamin Felix Goeser. Please read.......

The current legislation before the state of Tennessee is vital to the safety of its citizens. My husband Ben Goeser was murdered right infront of me on April 2nd 2009 at Jonny's Sports Bar on Nolensville Road in the Nashville Tn area. Please contact your State Representatives including Governor Phil Bredesen, and tell them about what happened to Ben. If I could have been allowed to carry my gun that night (because I do have a permit) perhaps I could have saved him. I can tell you that the odds would have been more in our favor. People that have gone through PROPER TRAINING, A COMPLETE BACKGROUND CHECK, registered their weapon and have the permit should be allowed to carry a concealed gun for their own protection and protection of loved ones as long as they are NOT under the influence of alcohol. Just remember....when seconds count, the police are minutes away. Bad guys don't care about Laws. Let good citizens have the ability to protect themselves and their families. I never want anyone I love to be a target again. Never again. Proper training is key. Properly trained individuals will not take a risky shot and act irresponsibly, if they do and someone innocent is hurt or killed, they will face justice for it. I would like to point out that less than 1% of any gun crimes are ever committed by a permitted individual. Let's face it, look at the DC gun death rate, it is one of the HIGHEST in the country. How can that be if strict gun laws keep us safe? Please, help me wake these lawmakers up. I need your help. If there is anything you can do for me....please do this. Do this for Ben.

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=10123881

Sincerely,

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry for your loss, and I agree 100% with the statements in the original post - except the registering of the weapon part. I also hope that they can get several of these other "common sense gun laws" passed in the very near future.

Guest canynracer

Welcome Nicole, As others have said, very sorry for your loss. Enjoy your stay, and please let us know if you need anything.

Guest m4coyote

Firstly, I am very sorry for your loss. :P I can't imagine losing my spouse, and can only imagine the grief you feel.

Also, thank you for not blaming "evil guns" for this tragedy. So many people blame the tool, rather than the criminal for these type crimes.

You will find many people who share your views here, and will welcome your conversation.

Welcome to the forum.

Guest cjames38464

Thank you for taking the stance of an activist to change the laws, so maybe someone else will not have to face the greif you and your family are navigating....I am deeply sorry for your loss...

Guest JHatmaker

You got it Nicole! I was outraged when I heard this happened, and prayed for you during this time. I've given my support behind this bill. Like others have said, please let us know if there is anything else we can do. Take care!

maybe someone should look up how hard it is to go sit in on one of the house sessions and maybe get permission to speak to the members. this a very similar situation like the one Suzanna Hupp had to endure in Lubbock Texas in the very early 90's.

i have no idea what i would have done had i been Ms. Nicole. what a crazy outcome of events. i wonder if any of the house members have heard about this story?

and Nicole, welcome to the TGO forums and i am so sorry for your loss.

i am amazed that the reporter at the end made mention that she has a permit but had to leave her gun in the car per state law.

Edited by cadillacdude1975
Guest tlondon

Nicole, We are all sorry for the loss you have endured. As many others have said if you need anything from any of us just let us know.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Nicole. I first heard about your loss from Senator Jackson during the conference committee meeting for this bill. I am deeply saddened for you and your family. If we all keep fighting this fight, then maybe others will not have to go through your same situation. You are on my prayer list.

I saw someone had mentioned Suzanna Hupp and the Luby's Cafeteria Incident. Suzanna called me about 9 days or so ago and we spoke for at least 30 minutes. I have since talked with her again. I first learned of Suzzana back when I got my handgun carry permit. It was recommended that I go online and look her story up. I remember thinking to myself......this woman has been through agony and hell and I just can't imagine.... Well, now I KNOW. Guys, it always happens to somebody else, that is what I used to think. Now it has happened to me. I will NOT SHUT UP ABOUT THIS. This is not about me. This is about innocent people's lives. This is about stopping these monsters that intentionally kill good people. I know there are some people out there that should NOT have a gun. But guess what......Bad guys are going to get them. They will. We have to have enough GOOD GUYS out there where the bad guys will think twice. Also, one really incredible thing about this law is......if enough good people who are properly trained are out there, then the few people that do not exactly follow the law can be "watched" by those of us that do. Consider it "mentor" work. If you see somebody drinking and they have a weapon.....call the police on them. Good people can help regulate and watch those few that "just don't get it". They will be weeded out. I personally do not believe there will be many. The law WILL WORK. It is already in place right now in other states and IT WORKS. I also read that there are some states that allow you to carry even if you are drinking.....and there have been very minimal problems. I do not believe alcohol and guns mix but I can tell you.....even if I am sitting at home having a glass or two of wine, I am NOT going to go meet the guy at my front door and shoot him. Not unless he has a gun pointed at me or he is breaking in my home and has a foot in the door. Let's be sensible about all this. The people that do the crimes are THE BAD GUYS not the GOOD GUYS. A good guy that has had a beer does not really scare me. It's the sober Bad Guy that scares me. So how do you know the good guys from the bad guys? Well, have enough good guys out there and the bad guys will stay away. Unless of course they are on a suicide mission, in that case, maybe a good guy can take him down before he proceeds to kill an additional 15 people. Enough said on that for now...... :rolleyes:

Guest MediaBuster
I saw someone had mentioned Suzanna Hupp and the Luby's Cafeteria Incident. Suzanna called me about 9 days or so ago and we spoke for at least 30 minutes. I have since talked with her again. I first learned of Suzzana back when I got my handgun carry permit. It was recommended that I go online and look her story up. I remember thinking to myself......this woman has been through agony and hell and I just can't imagine.... Well, now I KNOW. Guys, it always happens to somebody else, that is what I used to think. Now it has happened to me. I will NOT SHUT UP ABOUT THIS. This is not about me. This is about innocent people's lives. This is about stopping these monsters that intentionally kill good people. I know there are some people out there that should NOT have a gun. But guess what......Bad guys are going to get them. They will. We have to have enough GOOD GUYS out there where the bad guys will think twice. Also, one really incredible thing about this law is......if enough good people who are properly trained are out there, then the few people that do not exactly follow the law can be "watched" by those of us that do. Consider it "mentor" work. If you see somebody drinking and they have a weapon.....call the police on them. Good people can help regulate and watch those few that "just don't get it". They will be weeded out. I personally do not believe there will be many. The law WILL WORK. It is already in place right now in other states and IT WORKS. I also read that there are some states that allow you to carry even if you are drinking.....and there have been very minimal problems. I do not believe alcohol and guns mix but I can tell you.....even if I am sitting at home having a glass or two of wine, I am NOT going to go meet the guy at my front door and shoot him. Not unless he has a gun pointed at me or he is breaking in my home and has a foot in the door. Let's be sensible about all this. The people that do the crimes are THE BAD GUYS not the GOOD GUYS. A good guy that has had a beer does not really scare me. It's the sober Bad Guy that scares me. So how do you know the good guys from the bad guys? Well, have enough good guys out there and the bad guys will stay away. Unless of course they are on a suicide mission, in that case, maybe a good guy can take him down before he proceeds to kill an additional 15 people. Enough said on that for now...... :woohoo:

Nikki, what happened to you shouldn't happen to anyone, & it happened (in my opinion) because idiot liberal legislators created yet another bunch of guaranteed "kill zones" for psychopaths when they prohibited carrying in bars/restaurants.

I am truly sorry for your loss, & you can guarantee I'll be here to help you change things. I am a musician who doesn't really drink much, but used to own/run a conservative political blog. I made plenty of crazy liberal enemies, & I have to play in clubs/bars all the time. The same thing could happen to me in reality. I will send you a PM with my personal contact info in case you need any help with anything.

Nikki, welcome to the forum. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I hope for your sake and all of ours this law is soon to pass and perhaps one day, well not perhaps, it will happen...innocent lives will be saved.

I just wish you would have had the chance to make things different for your family that night. Take care, there a lot of great people on this forum. Please let us know if we can do ANYTHING for you!

Guest Glockster27

Welcome Nicole. I am very sorry for your loss :D. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I would also like to say that I agree with your statements in the original post.

Guest Smitty

Welcome to our community here. I offer my condolences and will keep you and your family in my prayers for this tragic incident that unfortunately occurred because of our legislator's ignorance of reality. I hope the restaurant carry bill gets passed like it has in 30 something other states in this great nation to allow us to defend ourselves like we should be able to. Take care and God bless.

Sincerely,

Smitty

We have been advised by several sources and have confirmed that the Governor's office is keeping a "for/against" tally on the gun bill HB0962. It is important to call and to have everyone you know call. We need to send Bredesen a clear message that there are a significant number of voters who want to see this bill not just passed into law but SIGNED into law by him!

There are many more gun bills to come down the path and it is important for him to hear from the voters and gun owners of Tennessee because if there are other bills that are closer, we need the extra push.

The Governor can be reached by phone at (615)741-2001 or email Phil.Bredesen@tn.gov

I CALLED AND TOLD THEM I WAS IN SUPPORT AND THEY ARE TAKING THE CALLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND EMAILS