Anyone here into watches?

Guest boatme99

Guest HexHead
They do lack a bit of manliness and feel like a dress watch. I'm a big fan of chunky divers, so a Daytona would definitely be the oddball in the collection, but I still think they're kind of cool and wouldn't turn one down. :)

If you do get the Deepsea...I'd like to check it out sometime.

Although the Daytona used Zenith El Primero movements up until a few years ago, Omega has made better chronographs. You can easily tell which movement is in the Daytona. If the pinions of the sub-dials are lined up with the 3 and 9, it's the Zenith movement. The pinions are slightly higher on the newer Rolex movement ones.

First of all, I don't like having to unscrew the pushers to use the chrono. Omega's Seamaster chronos, you can actually use the pushers underwater. And the Speedmaster Pro, was the only watch that survived NASA's torture tests in two different qualification runs, several years apart, to be qualified for space missions. It's the only watch worn on the Moon and still the only one certified for EVAs.

Guest HexHead
They do lack a bit of manliness and feel like a dress watch. I'm a big fan of chunky divers,

And you don't have a Panerai? :D

:)

Guest Jason F.
Although those appear to be some nice looking watches, I never understood the desire for a watch that costs several hundered or several thousand dollars.

I am with you there. Seems like a complete waste of money to me but like many things that get "collected" no matter the cost someone, somewhere loves them.

Me I have a $20 Casio that has worked without flaw for more than 5 years. when it gets too scratched up at work I just throw it in the tumbler at work to polish it up while I am deburing some parts. I have a "nice" watch that is not all scratched up but it was a gift. It is still probably only a $50 watch, Fossil or something like that.

I have paid less for cars that I put 100k+ trouble free miles on than some of the watches posted here cost. :)

Guest drc767

Here is a quick shot of a few of my watches. Watches can be very addicting and get pretty expensive......but you only live once. I know Joe at HeroGear is a watch nut.....every time I have been in his shop, we always talk watches (and guns, of course).

watches.jpg

Guest drc767
Brandon,

I will definitely get one, for the money they are one heck of a deal, I can get one like this for around $750.00

tsar33wqjpg.jpg

Wow....the SAR's have gone up in price quite a bit. I have three or four of them in different dial configurations and I think I paid around $400 each (brand new in box) several years ago. You are right though......they are a watch that will take anything you can throw at them.....They are my favorite beater watch and have the best night time illumination of any other watch I own. Even at $750 they are a bargain compared to some of the other overpriced crap out there.

Wow....the SAR's have gone up in price quite a bit. I have three or four of them in different dial configurations and I think I paid around $400 each (brand new in box) several years ago. You are right though......they are a watch that will take anything you can throw at them.....They are my favorite beater watch and have the best night time illumination of any other watch I own. Even at $750 they are a bargain compared to some of the other overpriced crap out there.

Yea, the GSARs are bit more than the SARs due to the tritium...also adding a stainless bracelet adds $175 or so, assuming you buy it new through CountyComm, etc.

Guest boatme99
Yea, the GSARs are bit more than the SARs due to the tritium...also adding a stainless bracelet adds $175 or so, assuming you buy it new through CountyComm, etc.

Brandon, the GSAR is automatic,the TSAR is quartz, that's why the price difference. I also got my GSAR from CountyComm. Great folks to deal with!

Brandon, the GSAR is automatic,the TSAR is quartz, that's why the price difference. I also got my GSAR from CountyComm. Great folks to deal with!

I know...I didn't mention the TSAR, which is the quartz w/ Tritium markers. :confused:

Here is the SAR (optional date cyclops is also available)...

Marathon02n.jpg

...and GSAR (US Gov markings on face also available).

Bracelet04large.jpg

Marathon also makes a CSAR (chronograph) and JSAR (jumbo version)...

Edited by BrandonTN
Brandon,

Was County Comm good to deal with? the watch and bracelet $870.00 I will be getting it :confused:

Yes, they were top notch. I got my TSAR from them, a bracelet and my dad purchased a SAR from them. My GSAR came from eBay (a risk I was willing to take) I've also bought some of their little odds and ends and have always been satisfied. Look around before buying, they have some pretty cool bags and survival gear!

Also, if you want to save a bit of money and don't mind used, you can always try the forums on Watchuseek.com | Watch Forums | On-line Watch Shopping | Horloges | Uhren | Montres | Orologio | Relojes | Relogios. I know we talked about the possibility of fakes in the past, but most of those guys on there are watch-nuts and sell "no BS", authentic pieces.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I still need to purchase a US Seal clasp for my bracelet from CC and ditch the maple leaf. :D

Edited by BrandonTN

I appreciate it, I will just get a new one through them and a US Bracelet I have researched these watches for a few years and a couple of Canadians I worked with in the past have had these. They are most definitely worth the money :confused:

Guest drc767

I have purchased a couple of my Automatic SARs from County Comm. They are great to deal with. I would suggest getting the stainless bracelet with the watch. I actually prefer the NATO ZULU straps for comfort, though.

Guest sgtrutledge

Well I am not the "baller" level most of of the people watch wise on this tread but here are mine.

luminox 8802, Field ops 5.11,and my 3 invictas

and pardon my pic im not the best with a camera

gun028.jpg

Well I am not the "baller" level most of of the people watch wise on this tread but here are mine.

luminox 8802, Field ops 5.11,and my 3 invictas

and pardon my pic im not the best with a camera

gun028.jpg

Luminox builds a very nice watch, Congrats :D

• 11 months later...
I know...I didn't mention the TSAR, which is the quartz w/ Tritium markers. :D

Here is the SAR (optional date cyclops is also available)...

Marathon02n.jpg

...and GSAR (US Gov markings on face also available).

Bracelet04large.jpg

Marathon also makes a CSAR (chronograph) and JSAR (jumbo version)...

Well Brandon,

After looking for a great deal on one new in the box for nearly 1 year, I came 1 minute shy yesterday on an auction of winning one for $560.00, I have decided they are worth the $700.00 Friday I am ordering a GSAR with the US stainless steel bracelet, while I will be paying more than they use to cost I am tired of waiting for one, I should have my new GSAR next week. It will give my Breitling some well deserved rest. Now I have to buy at the least a single watch winder, any suggestions on one?

I am getting it through Chrono World ::Quality TimePieces since 1999 they will install the bracelet and remove the links to my size for the same price as I could get it elsewhere

I've always loved watches but I only have two. The first is a Tag Heuer Aquaracer Automatic that that I wear 99% of the time. The other is a Polar Heart rate monitor for running, cycling, or activities where I don't want to get the Tag dirty.

I have a Breitling Chronomat I picked up in Lucerne a couple years ago and an Omega Seamaster I picked up in '94. Went with the leather band on the Chronomat, but wish I had gotten the bracelet.

My daily beater is a Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk AT Special Edition. A Cyma and a Submariner are both on the list, but since getting the Chronomat, I'm not in any hurry.

I'm at the office, so no way to do photos, but I can snap some pics when I get home and edit them in here.

Mac

• 1 month later...

I added a new one to the group. Its a Tag Heuer Aquagraph:

• Autolock turning bezel
  • Oversize chronograph minute hand
  • Screw-in crown security indicator
  • Water-resistance to 500 meters /1666 feet
  • TAG Heuer Caliber 60 automatic movement
  • Automatic helium valve

Really need a winder now.

cn211aba0353.jpg

Edited by wareagle