so, anyone know anything about ford fe motors?

Guest coldblackwind

Guest coldblackwind

Ok, I need some car guys help! Or some serious internet gurus, because I've got about 4 hours into searching on this already. I picked up a ford FE motor out of '67 pickup at pull-a-parts yesterday, to go into my '66, now I can't figure out what I've got! I thought I was pulling a 352, but when I got home, I ran the casting numbers on the head, and one turned out to from a '68 427! The other is a replacement, so I can't figure that out, but i'm assuming they weren't dumb enough to stick 2 different heads on. So then I checked on the intake, which turned out to be for a 352, or 390. So then I ran the casting number off the block, and according to what I could find, it says its either a 330 built in '67 (even though they were discontinued in '59) or a 428 police interceptor, or cobra jet. I find the 428 to be unlikely. Anyone have any idea how to tell without tearing it apart and measuring the bore and stroke, or a good site to run the casting numbers and make sure the other site wasn't wrong? The numbers by the way are, C8AE-H on one head, C-AE-1 on the other head, and C7ME-A on the block. Any help would be appreciated, I'm so confused!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The C8-H's were very common production heads used on the 352, 390 and 428 to name a few.

Are you sure the second one isn't C1AE, instead of CAE1? If so, it's a head from a 61-63 352/390.

Ford used C7ME-A casting for just about everything in that vintage. Only way to know for sure is to measure the bore and stroke.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
Guest coldblackwind
maybe this will help

Ford "FE" Blocks

That is much better than the one I was looking at before, its also the second time that casting number has come back to a 428. I guess I'm going to have to break down and pull a head, because it looks as though I got a LOT bigger motor than I intended! Apparently, this is going to be a very fun truck indeed :tinfoil:.

And yes I'm sure its a CAE1 and not a C1AE, because I thought it was weird that the year code was missing (I'm assuming its an aftermarket replacement). I also did track down the number from the other head, and that it showed a '68 427 head, so if its got a 427 head on one side, and a 352/390 head on the other....that could by why it was in the junkyard!

Thanks for all the input guys!

Guest coldblackwind

FE does stand for ford edsel, they also used FT, for ford truck later in their manufacture, but most people just seem to call them all FE, as they were all based on the original block. Although I do have something (I don't recall what, intake maybe) that does say FT instead of FE on it.

The 360 you're referring too was actually a 361 (edsel wise), which appears to fairly rare (and not what I have!), the 360 was strickly a truck engine (FT). These engines however came as 332, 352. 360. 361, 390, 406, 410, 427, or a 428, and pretty much all shared the same block, with different bores and strokes to get the different cubic inch figures, and as most were car engines, they were FE engines (trucks only got 352's, 360's, and 390's I believe).