9MM OAL?...my first attempt @ reloading...

0517091127.jpg

0517091127a.jpg

These are my first attempts at reloading...the one on the far right was obviously my first one...the one on the far left is a factory load.

I know the min. OAL is 1.095

and max OAL is 1.169

so....where should i begin with OAL..split the diff between min and max?

Should i use the measurement of the factory load?

or is this all gonna be trial and error deal for my pistols?

anybody have a "favorite" OAL for 9MM?

Looks like I'm gonna get to use my new bullet puller....:tinfoil:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What grain bullet are you loading? As per the Speer and Hornady reloading manuals, your COL (cartridge overall length will vary depending on the weight of the bullet you are reloading.

Looking at my manuals, the COL can range from 1.070" with a 90gr bullet to 1.130" with a 147gr bullet, with a max COL of 1.169".

Another check will be once you have found the correct COL. Take a round and using a thin Sharpie, draw a line around the bullet, where it meets the brass case. Take a COL measurement with your calipers. Now chamber this round and see if the bullet is pushed into the brass case. If you see no signs of the bullet moving, verify by remeasuring the calipers. A point of safety - I do not have a primer or powder in the case until I am happy with the COL and seating of the bullet.

Also after you get it where you want it lenght wise, I would seat a "dummy" (no powder or primer). Take the barel out of your gun & drop in the dummy, then give it a slight push & see if you can twist it. If that looks good turn the barrel upside down to see if the "dummy" will fall out.

If this checks good assemble your gun & run the dummy rnd from your mag through the gun to maks sure it will chamber & eject properly.

More than just bullet weight determine the best OAL. For a 124gr bullet like you are using, my guess would be to start at around 1.125". This is just a guess from what you have posted and not a recommendation. Do a little more research before you settle on anything.

Thanks XD!...i just finished a box of 50...but...i WILL make a dummy round tomorrow and check the things you stated....two questions....should the dummy round fall out of the barrel or stay in and should the dummy round twist(i assume it should)?

Thanks to you also Cats....you were dead on my thinking(after i researched it all day and called an expert)....i settled on 1.125!....do you have ESP.....(n)?

Edited by titan14

The key to reloading is patience. (Sometimes I wonder why I reload- I struggle with the whole patience thingy.) There is a ton of information out there and much of it varies. The key is to develop a simple plan to build your loads; loads that work in your weapon(s).

I have a method that works great for me. So far its been safe and the rounds have been very accurate. Take you time and work up loads that you feel comfortable with. I am still new to reloading, but I am learning something new everyday. Hell, I just saw something new when I was researching the info on your 9mm rounds. This is very addicting. Enjoy!

Thanks again Uker!

I THINK that is why I was questioning myself...I have researched and read and researched and read and I think I overloaded my information receptacle....:usa:

Every source I checked had DIFFERENT info:screwy:....shew!....i hope it gets easier!:wall:

Oh...one other thing........several places I read said that 9MM was NOT a good round to BEGIN reloading on...grrrrrr....but that's just my luck....

I've been "assembling" my reloading stuff and the 9MM was the round that everything came together first....oh well....start with the hard stuff!!!!

Yes sir the dummy round should spin & fall out. This needs to be done especially if you use lead boolits. I found that Angel's M&P9 had to have the bullet seated a couple more thousandths than my XD. The throat on the M&P chamber is a little shorter than the XD. It's acually shorter than the sugested min. OAL.

I found that Angel's M&P9 had to have the bullet seated a couple more thousandths than my XD. The throat on the M&P chamber is a little shorter than the XD. It's acually shorter than the sugested min. OAL.

Very true. I loaded some 147gr Precision black bullets to 1.135 and about every 10th round wouldn't allow the slide to go into battery on my M&P. I shortened them a touch and now they work fine.

Titan,

I wouldn't consider 9mm to be a bad caliber to start with at all. It isn't really a high pressure round (like .40) and there is a lot of information on the subject. What powder are you using.

Guest MERRILL

I load 9mm. for a Kaltec PF9. I recently loaded some cartridges with 115gr. Sierra hollow points and used the oal suggested by the Lee manual. they would not chamber correctly. The problem turned out to be the ogive of the bullets was higher on the bullet than others I have used. I reduced the oal bit by bit until they chambered correctly but then experienced pressure problems. Finally I had to drop the powder to below starting levels to keep the primers from looking like a volcano. From my experience, the shape of the bullet is critical when determining the length of the bullet and if you load it too deep you run into pressure problems.

XD....the dummy round worked great...so...I made 50 more last night.....now i need to get to the range.

Cat's...Bullseye for now....it seemed to be a good starting powder as I found lots of info for it. And seems to work with all my calibers. (.45, 9mm,.38, .32)

Merrill....thanks for that info...I will try to get to the range and do some shooting and let ya'll know how I did...

XD....the dummy round worked great...so...I made 50 more last night.....now i need to get to the range.

Cat's...Bullseye for now....it seemed to be a good starting powder as I found lots of info for it. And seems to work with all my calibers. (.45, 9mm,.38, .32)

Merrill....thanks for that info...I will try to get to the range and do some shooting and let ya'll know how I did...

And now the addiction begins! :D

Uker...YES.....and it actually doesn't take as much time as I thought it would....

The only thing that is time consuming is charging the cases...for now(because i'm "scared") I am weighing EVERY charge. I guess I just don't trust myself yet. One thing I HAVE noticed is, that I AM getting very close with each one, but I'm using the Lee dippers....I can already see that I am going to have to get a more precise way to measure the loads....I have a RCBS Little Dandy(thanks to Mark@Sea) but, I don't have any rotors yet...and those little things aren't cheap.....

Guest MERRILL

If you are using the Lee dipper, you are probably using the .5cc dipper. according to my info that is hot. It takes a bit of practice to get consistant with your charges, but I can get within .2 gr. I use the dipper for my .270 loads but they are hunting loads and .2gr. is insignificant with the powder I am using. The Lee perfect powder measure is very consistant. I use it for my 9mm; I spot check every 8- 10 rounds though.

Edited by MERRILL
If you are using the Lee dipper, you are probably using the .5cc dipper. according to my info that is hot. It takes a bit of practice to get consistant with your charges, but I can get within .2 gr. I use the dipper for my .270 loads but they are hunting loads and .2gr. is insignificant with the powder I am using. The Lee perfect powder measure is very consistant. I use it for my 9mm; I spot check every 8- 10 rounds though.

Oh no....:)...now you've got me scared again....

My Lee book stated a 4.7 grain load for these.....is that incorrect?

Guest MERRILL
Oh no....:D...now you've got me scared again....

My Lee book stated a 4.7 grain load for these.....is that incorrect?

You did say you were using Bullseye powder didn't you? I went to the Alliant site and they recommended 4.4gr for a 124gr. Speer hollow point and a oal of 1.12in. My Lee book isn't the latest edition and doesn't list Bullseye. I personally would try it and check for pressure signs such as cratered primers but that is what I would do I cannot recommend that you do the same. A .5cc dipper,level, not heaped should give 4.7gr of Bullseye. That is .3 gr. more than Alliant's recommendation. I will defer to someone who has used Bullseye in 9mm.

Oh geezzz...now I'm worried that my scale isn't "right". the .5 lee dipper leveled on my scale was reading about 4.2...i had to "dip" a little more on each round to get to the 4.7...

Damn...I hope this isnt the start of a bunch of bad luck for my reloading adventure.....

I was hoping that this would be fun and not STRESSFUL!

How do you guys "trust" your loads with all the differing info out there????

I guess I'll be pulling a bunch of bullets now...well...100 to be exact.

i don't know what to do now....buy factory ammo and sell my press?

How much did you measure out & load your first ones with?

The dipper to me can differ depending on how you scoop it as to how much it gets compressed in the cup.

Did you buy bullets to load in them or are you casting?

If factory, use your scale to weigh a few of them to see if they are consistant.

All 100 rounds, I weighed on the Lee safety scale to 4.7 grains of Bullseye. The bullets were 124 grain hollow points that I bought from mark@Sea ....moly-coated something....

and my scale won't measure anything over 110 grains....but...I DID buy a small Frankford Arenal digital scale today....

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!