9MM OAL?...my first attempt @ reloading...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not yet....and now I've had toooooo many adult beverages to even think about it....

tomorrow is another day i guess....

I am getting WAY too much contradicting information....one says you're good....one says its too hot...hell...the guy at the local gunshop today, said not to worry about it....that even if i was off .3 grains either way that it wouldn't make much of a difference....I don't know what the hell to do...

Guest MERRILL

Suggestion: Pull 4 or 5 and start at 4gr of powder and work up .1gr at a time. Mark your cases with a magic marker or Sharpie or something to tell you what load you are using. After you fire the cartridges examine the primers. When they start to crater, stop. When I started loading 9mm I was using 6.2gr. of v-3N37.Lee's suggested starting load. My primers looked like volcanoes, badly cratered. I did as I described and finally settled on 5.2gr. That is one grain less than suggested starting load, but they shoot well. So you have pulled a few bullets so what? You will have worked up a load that shoots well in your gun in a relatively safe manner.

Incidently some primers are softer than others and will crater worse than others. Federal primers tend to crater rather quickly. O- one more suggestion: with all due respect and no offense intended Chill out.

Suggestion: Pull 4 or 5 and start at 4gr of powder and work up .1gr at a time. Mark your cases with a magic marker or Sharpie or something to tell you what load you are using. After you fire the cartridges examine the primers. When they start to crater, stop. When I started loading 9mm I was using 6.2gr. of v-3N37.Lee's suggested starting load. My primers looked like volcanoes, badly cratered. I did as I described and finally settled on 5.2gr. That is one grain less than suggested starting load, but they shoot well. So you have pulled a few bullets so what? You will have worked up a load that shoots well in your gun in a relatively safe manner.

Incidently some primers are softer than others and will crater worse than others. Federal primers tend to crater rather quickly. O- one more suggestion: with all due respect and no offense intended Chill out.

Exactly. I start out new loads at the lower end of the "suggested" points in the reload manuals, then go up in increments of .2 to right below the max (I never go all the way to max loads until I'm comfotable with the loads). I load 10 rounds of each, and then take them out for target practice to see which performs best. I'll narrow it down to the best two, and work on my loads from there in .1gr increments.

Example:

.45 ACP - 230gr XTP / AA #5

8gr - 10 loads

8.2 gr - 10 loads

8.4gr - 10 loads

8.6 gr - 10 loads

After shooting these, I narrowed it down to the 8.4 and 8.6 loads. I then loaded

8.3 - 10

8.4 - 10

8.5 - 10

8.6 - 10

8.7 - 10

As you can see, the first round of reloads are kind of a "rough draft", with the second set being more specific.

I settled on the 8.5 gr., since it seemed to shoot the best out of my pistol. Then, I loaded up 100rnds with the 8.5, and tested them to make sure that I had consistent results before reall cranking out some loads on the press. If it sounds tedious, it's because it is. But, it's well worth it, and not only do you find out what shoots best in your gun, you become more and more familiar with it, which is just about as important as anything else. Sorry for being long winded.

Merrill and Steward......thanks guys.....all this info is VERY much appreciated.

I think I'll incorporate both of you guys' suggestions.....

I am gonna leave the 100 I have already loaded and wait to see if I ever work up to that charge....if I do, great. If not...I'll pull 'em.

I am gonna load 10 @ 3.8.....10 @ 3.9.....and 10 @ 4.0 and see what happens...

I will feel more "comfortable" shooting them doing it this way....

Thanks again guys!!!!!!

The one thing that always drove me crazy during my "learning to reload" stage was the initial batch loading. Load a batch of rounds, then test them. Load another batch of rounds, then test them. You have mentioned that you have already loaded 100 rounds. These rounds may be put together correctly, but you have not done any range testing.

When I work up a new load, I load 10 rounds with varying powder charges (typically the charges vary by 0.5 grains). I shoot these rounds before moving forward. I know the bug about wanting to reload alot of rounds. I have gone through this same phase. By testing a few rounds, you will gain the confidence when you pull the trigger on your reloads, rather than being nervous as hell.

There was a suggestion to "chill out". I would tend to agree. Be safe rather than fast. I'm not one to lecture, but do not mix "adult beverages" during ANY phase of reloading. That could be a dangerous combo. Be safe!

The one thing that always drove me crazy during my "learning to reload" stage was the initial batch loading. Load a batch of rounds, then test them. Load another batch of rounds, then test them. You have mentioned that you have already loaded 100 rounds. These rounds may be put together correctly, but you have not done any range testing.

When I work up a new load, I load 10 rounds with varying powder charges (typically the charges vary by 0.5 grains). I shoot these rounds before moving forward. I know the bug about wanting to reload alot of rounds. I have gone through this same phase. By testing a few rounds, you will gain the confidence when you pull the trigger on your reloads, rather than being nervous as hell.

There was a suggestion to "chill out". I would tend to agree. Be safe rather than fast. I'm not one to lecture, but do not mix "adult beverages" during ANY phase of reloading. That could be a dangerous combo. Be safe!

LOL Uker, that's the part I like best, but then again, I do work in the research and development field. Maybe it's some kind of personality disorder? My wife says so. I think she calls it "being anal"? Or maybe that's "being an a**hole". Don't remember

LOL Uker, that's the part I like best, but then again, I do work in the research and development field. Maybe it's some kind of personality disorder? My wife says so. I think she calls it "being anal"? Or maybe that's "being an a**hole". Don't remember

I prefer to be loading mass quanitities of rounds and blasting them down range. :rock: That initial part was tough to get through.

Look at you Uker....you darn safety nut!

You going to be around this weekend? I gotta run some primers down to 56FordGuy and figured I would find some time before or after Indy to roll something. Not that you need any guidance now, you gotz it down brother!

Look at you Uker....you darn safety nut!

You going to be around this weekend? I gotta run some primers down to 56FordGuy and figured I would find some time before or after Indy to roll something. Not that you need any guidance now, you gotz it down brother!

Safe? Who me?? :lol:

I should be around. I plan to go shoot on SUN out in Gallatin, so other than that, I am free. Shoot me an email or PM here on TGO when you are going to be around.

Will do. Not much planned but we have rained out ballgames they may make up Saturday. I'm taking off Friday as well since very little going on at work right now, they are pushing us to burn up vacation.

Pretty much any afternoon or evening looks pretty good right now. Even Monday.

Well....I am indeed proud of myself....stopped by mark@sea's today and let him fire off some of my reloads....

They all went bang....they all cycled....and no high pressure signs...SWEET!

Sounds good. Were they accurate?