Building an AK

poak

So, I'm toying w/ the idea of building an AK.

I found a decent deal on a Hungarian AMD-65 kit, and I'm eyeing NoDak Spud receivers.

Anybody got any words of wisdom, or recommendations for builders?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a lot easier and cheaper to buy it already put together. That is unless you have the proper tools and jigs.

I wasn't planning on assembling it myself.

I've seen some builders offer a service of completely tearing down a rifle, refinishing and rebuilding it to spec for you. I've considered looking for a cheap Romy or Yugo AK and doing that as well.

I still have my Ak74 and NoDak Spud receiver I need to put together - I'm just lazy. I also have a couple of flats I bent up - 47's and 74's...

What are you calling a "good deal" on an AMD?

As far as putting one together with a bought receiver - it ain't rocket science, and there are no special tools needed as long as the barrel is still in the front trunnion.

If cost is a factor then you may want to buy instead of build, but that being said I sure enjoy the build process. I used a nodak spud (nds-3) for a Romanian non G build in the past and they are very user friendly since the rails are pre-welded and the holes are pre-drilled and spot on in my case. The only down side is they are sold through an FFL like any firearm so it can be a little more costly that an unbent flat.

Think about how you want to finish the rifle also. I spent about $35 to media blast and about $75 to get started on Duracoating which I never finished! Last but not least you may want to check out ar15.com's AK builder section. It was very helpful and full of ideas pictures. Have you seen any of the AMD-65 pistol builds? They are pretty sweet and are on my short list.

$150, all matching #'s, but the seller just told me it does not include a barrel... :koolaid:

figure on adding another $100 for a barrel, $100 for a receiver, and you're $350 into it and it's not even assembled. Add another $75 for a compliance parts kit, $20 for a US made brake, and another $30 or so for a pair of 30 round mags.

Now you're approaching $500 - still not assembled.

I don't have a clue what the "builders" charge to assemble, but I'd guess $200+?

Don't know about you... but $700+ for a nothing-special AK doesn't seem too appealing.

Don't know about you... but $700+ for a nothing-special AK doesn't seem too appealing.

Yeah, that's about the same figure I came up with.

The lacking barrel was kind of a deal breaker... Before that, I was thinking $600 for a quality built AK wasn't too unfair (in the current climate of almost $500 for a WASR). I'm thinking I'll most likely go the Saiga route if decide to go through w/ this project (even though the cheapest 7.62x39 Saiga I've seen so far was $399).