Reloaded my first ammunition today

Yep, had my press set up for a couple of months now, finally got to load my first rounds today. A BIG thanks to RightWinger, for not only helping me out with some components, but also for walking me through a few issues I had once I started loading.

Long story short, loaded some 158 grain .38 Specials with 4.0 grains of Unique. Went out back behind the shop and shot them, all four went 'bang' correctly. I can't say much for the accuracy, I'm positive the lack of it was due to me. I plan to load up a few more tomorrow evening and see if I can't get a bit more accurate.

I learned a few things. The scale that comes in the Lee starter kit will work, but after using it and seeing the digital Dillon that Rightwinger has, a new scale is high on the list of things to buy. I also need a powder trickler. I was using the little Lee scoops, trying to pick up two or three flakes of powder to get the weight finalized. It was doable, but a pain. Finally, dies in a couple more calibers and more components, then I'll be set.

Just for good measure, a picture of the four rounds I loaded tonight. I know, four ain't that many, but I had some trouble getting the dies set properly, but Rightwinger helped me get everything figured out over the phone. Double checked all my weights, lengths, etc, and shot them tonight as dusk was settling. Got a good flash from each one. Shooting them through a S&W 642, anyone got a favorite load for a 158 grain cast round nose and Unique?

001.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love that feeling when you pull that trigger and everything works as advertised. Congrats! Take your time and now the fun begins. It's a full-blow addiction for me. :D We just need this Obama madness to end so supplies can be replenished.

Amen

56 was ready to go but couldn't find any small pistol primers. I couldn't stand knowing he was ready to go so found 4 or 5 of them for him to practice with.

So, Uker, we going to try and run a session tomorrow night? I'm having my folks up around 3 after Indy is hopefully over. I don't have to watch the Charlotte race, especially after tonight's Nationwide is pretty boring.

56, if you want to participate in some .223 rolling, it looks like we might pull this off finally.

I have been promising Uker to show him how to reload for so long now that when he finally gets up here he can show me how to do it.

Amen

56 was ready to go but couldn't find any small pistol primers. I couldn't stand knowing he was ready to go so found 4 or 5 of them for him to practice with.

So, Uker, we going to try and run a session tomorrow night? I'm having my folks up around 3 after Indy is hopefully over. I don't have to watch the Charlotte race, especially after tonight's Nationwide is pretty boring.

56, if you want to participate in some .223 rolling, it looks like we might pull this off finally.

I have been promising Uker to show him how to reload for so long now that when he finally gets up here he can show me how to do it.

SUN night? I'm game. Should I bring any brass or primers? Shoot me a PM with your address.

It's a reloading session Sun night Irish but your welcome to sit and sweat out in the shop with us. Shooting will be Monday afternoon (or should be depending on weather) Where and when exactly to be determined.

Uker, bring what you want to load. I plan on only knocking out 30 or so and will then turn it over to you. We can check each other's work and trade war stories. PM being sent for you to google map the address.

It's a reloading session Sun night Irish but your welcome to sit and sweat out in the shop with us. Shooting will be Monday afternoon (or should be depending on weather) Where and when exactly to be determined.

Uker, bring what you want to load. I plan on only knocking out 30 or so and will then turn it over to you. We can check each other's work and trade war stories. PM being sent for you to google map the address.

What time?

6ish? I'll get some type of munchable set up (oh wife, where for art thou please) We can roll some ammo, then retire to the back porch and see how bad the mosquito's are.

I'm throwing Win296 at mine so if you want to try a new powder just bring brass, bullets and primers. I can't remember what type of dies you used but mine are Lee and have done very well.

You have a case gauge for .223 already don't you? I'm still just bringing an upper to the garage to test them for the "clink" going into the chamber. If you want to bring that I think we will have all we need.

Rightwinger, no need to warn the neighbors. The way sound bounces off these hills, I'd have to alert everyone in 5 miles, and that's probably a bunch of people. Thus far, my practice has been to shoot what I wanted, when I wanted. If they're curious enough, they'll come up and ask. Heck, somebody was shooting something fairly loud about 30 minutes ago. :D I might be interested in seeing how .223 is done, I'll be trying to help my buddy load it for his AR before too long. It depends on how much of the field I get bush hogged tomorrow. Give me a call when y'all decide on a time.

Uker, I didn't realize how great it felt to roll your own ammo. I already enjoy loading as much as I did shooting it. Just need a steady supply of components to make it happen.

6ish? I'll get some type of munchable set up (oh wife, where for art thou please) We can roll some ammo, then retire to the back porch and see how bad the mosquito's are.

I'm throwing Win296 at mine so if you want to try a new powder just bring brass, bullets and primers. I can't remember what type of dies you used but mine are Lee and have done very well.

You have a case gauge for .223 already don't you? I'm still just bringing an upper to the garage to test them for the "clink" going into the chamber. If you want to bring that I think we will have all we need.

OK, I'll bring the gauge, and the other required components. I plan to bring my son too so he can learn. He's need to stop focusing on his XBOX and learn a valuable skill. If he complains, we can take turns woopin his aZZ.

Guest bolock

I just got back into reloading 2 years ago and bought all new Lee stuff. I formerly used nothing but RCBS. My Lee loaded ammo is just as accurate as anything I reloaded 20 years ago. However, I utilized some of my former 'lab technician' skills concerning the Lee scales. I have a master weight that matches the desired load charge and zero the scales with it instead of zeroing the scale empty. Then I set my Lee powder measure to trip and match the master weight. I also tap the powder measure handle about 5 times after each drop over the case (the old Lyman used to have a small tap). I started checking the weight every 10 rounds but now have the confidence in the process to check every 20-30 rounds. I also store the plastic Lee powder measure with a rolled up fabric softener sheet to minimize static electicity. Happy reloading.