Do I Look Like a Schmuck or What?

Guest Phantom6

Guest Phantom6

Have I been under a rock or is Wal-Mart peeing on my shoes and telling me it's raining when they say that they can not sell me ammunition after 2200 hrs due to a new federal law?

I knew they had some sort of store policy about that but I got in there about 2145 and no one was at the sporting goods counter as usual. I searched high and low and found a stockman that said he would go find someone and about 2205 a guy shows up and tells me it's past time and it's not their fault they can't sell me 3 550 rnd. boxes of Federal .22 but the fault of the Feds. with their silly new law.

I've been busier than a 1 legged man in an a** kicking contest but I think I would have paid attention to news like that.

How about it dealers and shooters, am I being lied to like a one night stand?:woohoo:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GlocKingTN
I was in there last week at 9:55 at the cashier ran me through real quick saying they couldn't sell ammo after 10 anymore so it isn't just you.

Maybe it is 10pm, not midnight!:woohoo:

"Wally world is slowly becoming more and more Pro gun kontrol"

Slowly my a$$ I remember when they sold pistols at wally now they barely stock any longuns the only thing they do have is convenient ammo - not cheap ammo I have never considered wally a cheap source of ammo but these days you do good to find ammo at any price.

as for the 10pm policy i never heard of it please post if someone fins out for sure

Guest Phantom6

Well, if they want to quit selling guns and ammo after 2200 then that is their business. After all at the one in Oak Ridge they close the pharmacy down at 1900. What ticks me off about the mess is that first of all, I was at the counter by 2145 and it is my belief that the clerks at Wally-world have all joined the witness protection program cause it's damned near impossible to find one. Secondly when I told them that I spent the last 15 minutes trying to track them down they lie to the customer and blame their silly little company rule on a non existant federal law.

To heck with them. I'm going to start buying all my range rounds in bulk and go to a gunshop to buy my specialty and/or defensive ammo.

Now I'm going to sit right down and write those lyin' S.O.B's a letter sending one copy to the local manager and one copy to corporate to let them in on the fact that I don't appreciate being forced to put up with the lack of service they provide or being lied to and I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore. :D I am going to put a dent in their bottom line by refusing to purchase anything from them at all. That'll show 'em!:woohoo::P

• Administrator

The local store has the 10pm policy sign up in their sporting goods department. I don't think it's related to any law... I think it's just corporate feelgood policy to make it seem like gangbangers can't come in there late at night and buy ammo to go rob a 7-11 with. :woohoo:

Guest crytes

everyone who runs into this block or is incoveinenced by this should write Walmart corperate and let them know about lost business so they may correct the problem. I buy ammo online but if I ran to walmart for ammo I'd pick up other things to save the trip so If I couldn't get the bullets I wouldn't have made the trip and they would loose more than ammo sales.

Crytes

I've had it with Mal*Wart. They don't sell some music (nasty lyrics), they don't sell some video games (too much violence), they don't sell ammo after 10pm now it seems (too much criminal activity). There is no customer service, they pay their employees squat, they offer lousy health insurance, are virulently anti-union, their stores are ugly, and they alone account for a huge chunk of our trade deficit with China - a much bigger problem than most people realize.

Its their business and their stores, so they can do what they want. But so can I. I'm with Phantom6 -buying bulk range ammo online or when there is a sale at BPS/Dick's/Wherever, and buying the premium stuff from my local dealer, who offers quality service with a smile.

I've had it with Mal*Wart. They don't sell some music (nasty lyrics), they don't sell some video games (too much violence), they don't sell ammo after 10pm now it seems (too much criminal activity). There is no customer service, they pay their employees squat, they offer lousy health insurance, are virulently anti-union, their stores are ugly, and they alone account for a huge chunk of our trade deficit with China - a much bigger problem than most people realize.

I knew there was a reason I keep going back!

And they do not account for a large chunk of our deficit with China. The fact that many manufactured goods can be produced more cheaply in China accounts for our deficit. If Wal Mart didnt exist we would still have the same deficit.

I was thinking the same thing about the unions, Rabbi. Good reason to buy from them.

And I was also thinking that Wal-Mart isn't responsible for all the cheap crap causing the trade deficit with China. The people buying the cheap Chinese crap are responsible for it. Wally-World just gives the customer what they want.

You want the Elmo doll made in China for $10 or the one made in Michigan with union labor for $50? Lead paint is a no-cost feature. :up:

Unions are good for one thing:

Keeping companies from compensating workers based on what their skills and time are actually worth.

Wal-Mart may be alot of other things, but they are profitable... and that's partially due to hiring workers who's skill-sets are below average, and paying them accordingly. Wal-Mart doesn't force anyone to work for them. And China, doesn't need unions... it needs a revolution. In light of the situation in that country, people who complain about raising the minimum wage meanwhile Chinese Christian slaves and children (with arguably more skill) make our fireworks, shoes, toys, and toothbrushes for nothing... And then pay bottom dollar for them back at Wal-Mart, at our convenience.

Pity is not a good reason to pay someone more for a product or service... as long as they have the choice of doing business for that price, or not, the market decides. Chinese slave labor, Illegal immigrants AND unions are the monkey-wrenches in our economy.

Its pretty sad to see the anti-unionism here. The labor movement in this country has been a critical cog in the economic machine that exists today. The exploitation of workers that brought about the movement in the first place is what is to blame for these so-called ills. Treat your workers right, they wont unionize. (See Nissan right here in TN for example.) Don't treat them right and you get MolonlabeTN's revolution. People will band together to fight tyranny whether that tyranny is political or economical. There is no difference. Of course no one forces you to work at Wal*Mart or anywhere else. But oftentimes the only other choice is to not work at all -and we see how beneficial that choice is to the economy.

Everyone here who works 40 hrs/week more or less, gets some vacation, has some medical insurance, has holidays, gets weekends off, has sick days accumulated, has safety rules at their plant, etc, etc, etc, can "blame" the labor movement in this country. Its sad to see hard-fought gains ignored and taken for granted and the reason for their existence ridiculed. Truly sad. People banded together to throw off the yolk of tyranny in 1776 and we celebrate it every July 4. The union movement did the SAME THING 100 years later and here we sit in our air-conditioned offices in our ergonomically-correct chairs looking forward to the end of our 8 hour day while deriding the brave men and women -who sometimes gave their lives- who gave it all to us. :up:

The right to collectively bargain is as fundamental as any other.

Unions are good for one thing:

Keeping companies from compensating workers based on what their skills and time are actually worth.

Actually, the labor movement is the single most important reason this possibility even exists. Paying people based on the economic value of their work is exactly what it was all about.

The ideal you value was made possible by the very movement you deride.

I knew there was a reason I keep going back!

And they do not account for a large chunk of our deficit with China. The fact that many manufactured goods can be produced more cheaply in China accounts for our deficit. If Wal Mart didnt exist we would still have the same deficit.

Perhaps, but perhaps not. WalMart or whatever would have taken the place of it (another big company, 1000 little ones, etc) would still have the same economic impact, but WalMart's over-riding focus on unit cost helps create a fundamental demand for cheap overseas products and labor. In the end this causes economic harm back home. Sure, we can buy cheap socks at Wal Mart, but millions of jobs that used to be here in this country are now overseas, replaced by lower-wage jobs where people can't afford the same amount of cheap socks anymore.

This would not be so bad if the Chinese workers were able to and could afford to buy more American products, but China does not seem to want that to happen. This our huge deficit.

Every action has economic consequences, sometimes one action can have both positive and negative economic impacts. WalMart's impact on the economy would be a good example here.

Actually, the labor movement is the single most important reason this possibility even exists. Paying people based on the economic value of their work is exactly what it was all about.

The ideal you value was made possible by the very movement you deride.

Unions are not what they used to be, the use for which they may have once been necessary is no longer relevant. I am in direct contact with unionized workers every day, their usage of such an organization only results in the work they perform to be inefficient, time-wise and cost-wise. The unions themselves profit from driving a wedge between management and labor... (making illegal workers more appealing).

Since when is a business owner subordinate to the majority will of their employees? It's his/her business or property to run as they please! Noone forces anyone to work anywhere, in this country, and the owner of the business should have the power to say 'no' to his/her employees, just like a business/property owner has the right to make a person carrying a gun leave the premises if they choose... should an owner not have ultimate authority (within the law, of course), over their own enterprise and investment?

Guest ETS_Inc

Having read NFA34, GCA68, FOPA86, and AWB94 cover to cover, as well as the BATFE rulebooks, I can assure you there is no Federal law (or State law, for that matter) which prohibits a person from selling ammo after a certain time. It's nothing more than Wal-Mart's policy. The employee was just regurgitating the company line fed to them by an unknowing member of lower management, and adding their own take to it.

Perhaps, but perhaps not. WalMart or whatever would have taken the place of it (another big company, 1000 little ones, etc) would still have the same economic impact, but WalMart's over-riding focus on unit cost helps create a fundamental demand for cheap overseas products and labor. In the end this causes economic harm back home. Sure, we can buy cheap socks at Wal Mart, but millions of jobs that used to be here in this country are now overseas, replaced by lower-wage jobs where people can't afford the same amount of cheap socks anymore.

This would not be so bad if the Chinese workers were able to and could afford to buy more American products, but China does not seem to want that to happen. This our huge deficit.

Every action has economic consequences, sometimes one action can have both positive and negative economic impacts. WalMart's impact on the economy would be a good example here.

Once again I question your economic literacy.

The Chinese were not sitting complacently waiting for Wal Mart to come along. They were actively marketing their trade advantages. Wal Mart is not the only company to look at unit pricing. All companies look at unit pricing.

As for Chinese buying stuff, there is a huge burgeoning middle class in China materially benefitting from trade. As for the "trade deficit" it is a chimaera at best. Nor does it pose a risk. I have heard these arguments (first involving the Japanese in the mid 70's, then the Arabs in the late '70s) for over 30 years. They have never come to anything, nor will they.

As for unions, my grandfather a'h was a member of the ILGWU. Whatever unions were at the turn of the century, by the 1950s they had ceased to have any beneficial effect either for their rank and file or the country as a whole.

People today employed get benefits like vacation days etc largely from 3 sources:

1) Gov't mandates.

2) Gov't induced tax subsidies, esp for health care.

3) Market competition.

Unions represent a miniscule and shrinking number of industrial workers. They remain strong only in the public sector, where their bosses can acquiesce for increasing demands for salary and benefits and pay for it by raising taxes. MNPS is a prime example.

Guest hacksaw61

I haven't run into that problem here in Fla, however, the Walmart I always do business with, I ask for whatever I want, they give it to me and I'm on my way. I went to the Walmart across town last Saturday, asked for the last 3 boxes of 223 they had, and as I got it and started to walk away, the clerk told me I had to pay for it at that counter, I couldn't take it up front. I found that to be strange. Anyway, 223 is really hard to find here at Walmart, so I get what I can when I can.

Guest BigJ45

The Wal-Mart in Halls Crossroads on Norris Freeway carries re-loading supplies and would sell you ammo all night, not too long ago I purchased 3 cases of shotgun shells at about 1:00 AM and no questions were asked. Mabye they have a new policy. As far as unions go you can have them because America doesn't need them. The unions are the biggest reason we no longer have Winchester rifles made in the U.S.A.

I dunno about Wal-Mart policy. But if it is a rule stopping ammo sales at 10 PM sounds rather strange. Sounds to me more like they do not want to have adequate help after 10 PM so therefore stop staffing the sporting goods department.

Simple solution to me is shop there before 10 Pm. Typically by 10 PM I am ready for bed anyway so I do my duty there by the middle of the day. I picked up 1100 rounds of Remington Golden Bulletds .22lr today and made my purchase by noon. I do agree with you that it is BS and is not a law here in TN.

Phantom, if you need some for this weekend let me know and I will bring extra, I do feel your pain.

Why do I have this mental image of someone shouting, "Workers of the world unite!" :up:

Unions were useful, at one time, to address safety concerns. Today union workers are often exploited by the union bosses more than the companies. Today, unions are frequently the factor that drives jobs overseas. Companies in a global economy simply can not pay more than what employees labor is worth.

Anyone see the story that some Chrysler branded cars will be made in China?

Back on topic, I wonder what time of day Wal-Mart starts selling ammo?

I'll bet their policy stems from some event where someone bought some ammo at midnight and offed someone shortly after.