Should you help someone you shoot?

Guest cowboy20th

Guest Astra900

Well, I hate to be a cold bastage but, If I shoot someone it will be because they threatened my wife or myself with bodily harm. I'm sorry, but that in and of itself negates your right to receive any help from me for any reason. If I win the fight, I'll let 'em lay where they fall.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hyaloid

I doubt I'd be inclined to offer first aid. YOu never know all the circumstances, so I'd be wary to make blanket statements, but if I felt the individual was dangerous enough to shoot, then they're dangerous enough to avoid even if wounded.

Just a thought, but if you have the presence of mind while on the 911 call, it may behoove someone who just shot another in self defense to say something about the desire to administer first aid, but that you're still in fear of your life... those records will come out, and it kinda kills (pun semi-intended) two birds with one stone. Never really given that angle much thought...

This is precisely the type of thread where one needs to remember that what you say here may well be brought up in a trial at a later date.

Honestly, I don't know what I'd do in that situation and assume it would be decided based on the information I had at the time.

• Administrator
:poop:

First, please quote and reply correctly. When you embed your comments as you did, it makes it very difficult to reply with any sense of continuity.

Second, while some of your remarks may look cute at first glance, it just makes it look even more like you didn't think out your first response well enough to be able to substantiate it in follow-up responses.

Point in case, StrickJ pointed out exactly why my reply refuted most of what you said initially. Had you qualified your remarks with a statement like, "I wouldn't render aid to a badguy because I might do something that would cause further medical trauma..." then it may have made sense. May have.

Even still, the idea that you wouldn't render aid to a GSW victim because infection might set in is a bit absurd. Infection will likely set in regardless if the wound is left unattended. Bits of clothing, hair, skin will be forced into the wound channel, not to mention the bullet and bullet fragments. None of those will be sterile.

It seems as though you just want to argue. I pointed out that your statements were essentially false but did it because I would not want someone else to read what you wrote and be fearful of assisting a friendly GSW victim. Most of us are savvy enough to ignore 90% of what we read on the Internet. Some of us aren't, which is why I try to keep misinformation at a low on TGO.

There are plenty of forums elsewhere where you can argue with people for the sake of arguing. If you want to do it here, at least bring the facts.

Edited by TGO David
A kindler, gentler America.
I would treat. But it is my moral, ethical and legal obligation to. If I don't, I can get the crap sued out of me and never be able to practice medicine again.

But hopefully if it comes down to that, my aim was true and my efforts pointless.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! I'd have to treat him too, but I don't think that my heart would be in it.

This is precisely the type of thread where one needs to remember that what you say here may well be brought up in a trial at a later date.

This is an unrealistic stretch considering the incredible luck that one would need to have in order to be able to discover that you post here when one considers the use of screen names. There are also those who share screen names. I have known of members who's wives and even older children post under their screen name. There's no way to prove that YOU are the one who actually posted any comment.

what you say here may well be brought up in a trial at a later date.

I can't imagine ever shooting anyone unless I was absolutely certain that myself or a loved was about to die at the hands of that bad guy.

I shoot to put them down after I have reasonably determined they mean to kill me. They are down and I want them to stay down. I don't touch them. This wasn't an accidental shooting that I have to feel sorry about. This SOB scared me and I shot him to survive. I don't have any more responsibility toward him. Let the pros handle it when they get there. I am still scared and I can't be expected to have the presence of mind to be playing medic.

This is an unrealistic stretch considering the incredible luck that one would need to have in order to be able to discover that you post here when one considers the use of screen names. There are also those who share screen names. I have known of members who's wives and even older children post under their screen name. There's no way to prove that YOU are the one who actually posted any comment.

People's 'anonymous' quotes have been used in court before.

Do what you will, I'm just sayin'...