So, I guess I will be in trouble...LOL

Guest canynracer

Guest canynracer

But I couldnt help it...I got so pissed that Sheriff Lutrell supported the Veto, I sent this to him...(Took some from what I sent the Gov)

Sheriff Lutrell,

We the People. 3 words that mean so much to what makes us American that tens of thousands have given their blood to protect.

I gotta say, my stomach twisted in a knot when I saw you there supporting this Veto.

This bill was NOT about bars!!! You let a MEDIA opinion drive your decision. I am absolutley SHOCKED.

Mr Lutrell,

Look at our surrounding states, how many ALLOW carry in resturaunts? Is blood running the streets in Texas resturaunts? no? how bout Atlanta? There are SEVERAL states that allow this!!!

I hoped you would earn the facts, and did some research before coming to your conclusion. Stand up for what "Makes sense" (as Cheif Serpas so eloquently said.) Why didnt you call OTHER sheriffs in these states before following others beliefs?

This bill was NOT about bars. It was so I can protect my family at the Olive Garden, Outback, Shogun, Texas Roadhouse, and other RESTURAUNTS.

I dont drink alcohol. How many of the people you are "protecting" actually drink? How many go to bars? You didnt do that research did you?

The fact is that it is against the law to drink and drive, yet, there is a DUI task force.

A permit holder cannot drink AT ALL while carrying. When I go to Kroger, I walk by all that beer, fully armed, and guess what...nothing happens!!!

More people die every day from drunk drivers, that have more leniency when drinking and driving (allowing up to a .08 BAC) than a law abiding citizen that has NO alcohol law.

I pray for the day that you and the rest of the politicians can understand that the BAD GUYS do not follow the laws. Your law means NOTHING to them, nor your signs. You are punishing the wrong people sir!!

At least, if the resturaunt made the choice to post a sign, I can make the choice where to spend my money. Criminals get guns because you disarm the good guys and make them lock their guns in a car.

No guns in resturuants that server alcohol for onsite consumption....Yet, your officers enjoy their lunch break fully armed. Nice.

Honestly. How many resturaunts do YOU disarm for? How about your family members that have a permit? I think we both know that answer.

You enjoy the fact that you, yourself can protect your family if necessary, while WE have to figure out OUR protection on our own.

I had MAJOR respect for the Sheriffs Dept, in fact, was going to join the reserve. I cant be a part of something that clearly acts in the complete opposite of what they say they are here to do, Protect and Serve.

The largest amount of permit holders in the state reside in Shelby County. We have our permits to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

We the People learn from our mistakes. You will understand that come re-election time.

Have a great week.

Joel

++++++++++++

I doubt it will matter, I just hope I dont get sent to the principals office!!:P:taser::x:

:eek:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better be sure to use your turn signals, fasten your seatbelt, observe the speed limit, make lane to lane turns, stop behind the line, come to a complete stop at a stop sign, no texting while driving, make sure all of your lights work, have good tread on your tires, valid insurance, registration, and license, no obstructions in the windows, legal tint, and a quiet exhaust.

Guest Jamie
Better be sure to use your turn signals, fasten your seatbelt, observe the speed limit, make lane to lane turns, stop behind the line, come to a complete stop at a stop sign, no texting while driving, make sure all of your lights work, have good tread on your tires, valid insurance, registration, and license, no obstructions in the windows, legal tint, and a quiet exhaust.

Or not.

Drive like a maniac if you want, then when you get stopped, go to the news media and claim it's in retaliation for your letter to the Sheriff. :poop::hat:

Canyn, You will probably get a response from his office and might even get a phone call. If you do, remind him that not a year ago he spoke to a friend of yours and stated that he didn't have a problem with people sitting in Applebee's and carrying their firearm.

That being said, the only advice I can offer, other than the letter was a good one, is to slow down when writing these things and proof read them before hitting the send button. Restaurant only has 1 "U" in it.

Guest canynracer

His response...

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the guns in establishments serving alcohol bill and the opportunity to address this most controversial issue pending in our General Assembly. Whether for or against my position on this or any other issue I do appreciate hearing from our Shelby County citizens on issues they feel strongly about.

I have been a strong second amendment advocate all my life and have owned and used guns for both hunting and recreational purposes. I have supported an individual’s right to own and carry weapons for the same reasons that you have stated. Our constitution, however, has always allowed for certain restrictions on individual rights when the public good is better served by them. In my opinion this is an issue where the public good is better served by the restriction.

I feel certain the General Assembly will override the Governor’s veto and if so it will become the law in our state. When that happens be assured as a law enforcement officer I will faithfully enforce it to the best of my ability. Your right to carry a firearm in an establishment serving alcohol will be honored.

I do plan to run for Sheriff in 2010. When you are considering how to cast your vote I hope you will consider the totality of my tenure as Sheriff and the many good things we have accomplished. I have not been able to please everyone but have always tried to do my best and be a good steward of the public’s trust. I hope you will not make your choice based upon one decision where we disagreed.

I would certainly hope that you will still consider becoming a part of the Shelby Sheriff’s Office Reserve Program. It is a most worthy and vital part of our organization.

Thank you for having the passion of a good citizen and taking the time to express yourself on this important issue. Please contact me at (901) 545-5503 if you would like to discuss this further.

Sincerely

Sheriff Mark Luttrell

Guest canynracer
Canyn, You will probably get a response from his office and might even get a phone call. If you do, remind him that not a year ago he spoke to a friend of yours and stated that he didn't have a problem with people sitting in Applebee's and carrying their firearm.

That being said, the only advice I can offer, other than the letter was a good one, is to slow down when writing these things and proof read them before hitting the send button. Restaurant only has 1 "U" in it.

aAAAAWWEEEee SHEIT!!!! I did that like 40000 times too...stupid stupid stupid....

Well, at least he knows it will become law.

damnit!!! I hate doing stupid crap...

Guest canynracer
Or not.

Drive like a maniac if you want, then when you get stopped, go to the news media and claim it's in retaliation for your letter to the Sheriff. :screwy:;)

LMFAO...ummm yeah no thanks!!!

I still have the same respect I have always had for LEOs, and I am not bashing him... I just didnt like seeing him up there...LOL...and this to me is an extremely important issue, in his response, he says "Our constitution, however, has always allowed for certain restrictions on individual rights when the public good is better served by them. In my opinion this is an issue where the public good is better served by the restriction. "

so its his opinion on what serves the public better...like my mommy...

Oh well, at least he admits it will get overridden, and he says "When that happens be assured as a law enforcement officer I will faithfully enforce it to the best of my ability. Your right to carry a firearm in an establishment serving alcohol will be honored. "

I liked that....but yeah, he is a politician.

Guest db99wj
LMFAO...ummm yeah no thanks!!!

I still have the same respect I have always had for LEOs, and I am not bashing him... I just didnt like seeing him up there...LOL...and this to me is an extremely important issue, in his response, he says "Our constitution, however, has always allowed for certain restrictions on individual rights when the public good is better served by them. In my opinion this is an issue where the public good is better served by the restriction. "

so its his opinion on what serves the public better...like my mommy...

Oh well, at least he admits it will get overridden, and he says "When that happens be assured as a law enforcement officer I will faithfully enforce it to the best of my ability. Your right to carry a firearm in an establishment serving alcohol will be honored. "

I liked that....but yeah, he is a politician.

Sounds kinda backhanded to me, like yep, when this passes, we are going to check like crazy for people drinking and that have permits/are carrying. And when they do, I will wake up and change out of my PJ's to come get my face on TV and the front page of the communist appeal and yell I TOLD YOU SO.

Maybe not, it might be that I am a little cynical at the moment.:screwy:

Guest canynracer
Sounds kinda backhanded to me, like yep, when this passes, we are going to check like crazy for people drinking and that have permits/are carrying. And when they do, I will wake up and change out of my PJ's to come get my face on TV and the front page of the communist appeal and yell I TOLD YOU SO.

Maybe not, it might be that I am a little cynical at the moment.:screwy:

at the moment??? you are ALWAYS cynical...

ass!

;)

Guest canynracer

His admin just emailed me again...(I had thanked her for the reply)

she said the Sheriff wants to call me, and wanted my phone number...im screwed...LOL...

We will see what happens.

Guest jg45
His response...

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the guns in establishments serving alcohol bill and the opportunity to address this most controversial issue pending in our General Assembly. Whether for or against my position on this or any other issue I do appreciate hearing from our Shelby County citizens on issues they feel strongly about.

I have been a strong second amendment advocate all my life and have owned and used guns for both hunting and recreational purposes. I have supported an individual’s right to own and carry weapons for the same reasons that you have stated. Our constitution, however, has always allowed for certain restrictions on individual rights when the public good is better served by them. In my opinion this is an issue where the public good is better served by the restriction.

I feel certain the General Assembly will override the Governor’s veto and if so it will become the law in our state. When that happens be assured as a law enforcement officer I will faithfully enforce it to the best of my ability. Your right to carry a firearm in an establishment serving alcohol will be honored.

I do plan to run for Sheriff in 2010. When you are considering how to cast your vote I hope you will consider the totality of my tenure as Sheriff and the many good things we have accomplished. I have not been able to please everyone but have always tried to do my best and be a good steward of the public’s trust. I hope you will not make your choice based upon one decision where we disagreed.

I would certainly hope that you will still consider becoming a part of the Shelby Sheriff’s Office Reserve Program. It is a most worthy and vital part of our organization.

Thank you for having the passion of a good citizen and taking the time to express yourself on this important issue. Please contact me at (901) 545-5503 if you would like to discuss this further.

Sincerely

Sheriff Mark Luttrell

I received an almost identical response from Mr. Luttrell. The only difference being that the response I received has 4 additional sentences that specifically addressed a situation I had put in my original email to him.

Guest Synghyn

If you keep the phone call as even headed and reasonable as the letter, you'll do us all proud again.

A big thunbs up on the e-mail. Good on ya!

Syn

Guest Arko

"Our constitution, however, has always allowed for certain restrictions on individual rights when the public good is better served by them. In my opinion this is an issue where the public good is better served by the restriction."

Ask him to show you WHERE the constitution allows restriction on RTKBA.

I seem to remember the phrase "Shall not be infringed"

The fact is that it is against the law to drink and drive, yet, there is a DUI task force.

A permit holder cannot drink AT ALL while carrying. When I go to Kroger, I walk by all that beer, fully armed, and guess what...nothing happens!!!

More people die every day from drunk drivers, that have more leniency when drinking and driving (allowing up to a .08 BAC) than a law abiding citizen that has NO alcohol law.

You should ask him if he knows what caliber a car is...