Metro Davidson Council seeks to override HB0962 on local level

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im not so sure yet... I have had plenty of dealings with the council... so I wont believe this is done until either Sen. Jackson kills it at the State level or the motion is withdrawn or killed in 1st reading or by metro legal.

I agree that it ain't over til it's over but I think that they know they will be in for a hell of a fight from us if it is not pulled from consideration.

Guest archerdr1

I wrote an email to the city counsel members. This is my letter.

I will start by saying that I am not a Nashville Resident. I am a resident of Chattanooga that frequents the Nashville area. I have been made aware that some of you wish to override the legislature's override of the Governor's veto in your own county. As someone who visits Nashville regularly and has friends that do so too, I would respectfully advise against that. It is illegal for you to do this. I am also a Handgun Carry Permit holder. I am in complete agreement with the HB 0962. I am a husband and the father of 2 small boys. If I go out to a restaurant to eat with my family, I carry a pistol. If I am carrying, nobody knows it is there except for my wife. I take my right as an American and my responsibility for the safety of my family very seriously. I have three good reasons, besides my personal safety, to have a permit and to carry. Just to make this letter personal, I will tell you those reasons... Shaunna, my wife; Maverick, my 2 year old son; and Dylon, my 3 month old son. If this action is taken, whether it passes or not, I will take my vacations, trips, and visits elsewhere. I can just as easily go to Knoxville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and Atlanta in close to the same time as I can get to Nashville. Mr. Tygard, you said that you fear that your tourism profits would go down if people started seeing "NO GUNS" signs go up, but I feel that tourism will go down if this local law goes through. If I go out with my family, I do not drink anything. Why should I not be able to protect my wife and children on the way to, from, or inside a restaurant just because I am in a restaurant that serves alcohol? If those signs go up, it will not hurt tourism, It will most likely hurt those restaurants that decide to post, but the restaurants that do not post will see the influx of business that those other restaurants will lose. Bottom line, the city/county will still get their money, but if this ordinance is pushed, you will lose revenue. Thank you for your time and I would appreciate any personal responses from any of you that will take a stand for what is right and take the stand against what is an illegal act by some of the commission. I would like to be planning my next vacation and a big part of that will depend on what this commission does.

Guest archerdr1

just got this response from Duane Dominy:

Thank you for sharing! I find this proposed end-run around the new state law shameful. I assure you that I will do all that is within my power to defend our second amendment rights.

I would also encourage you to attend the upcoming Friends of the NRA banquet here in Nashville on June 13 or in your area. You may get more information and tickets at the link below.

Events - State Fund Committee, NRA

seems I read this post before...

Guest archerdr1

Got this from Robert DuVall too:

Dear Mr. Linkins,

Councilman Robert Duvall here. I just want to thank you for writing and

supporting our right to carry. I will oppose any and all efforts to

infringe upon our right to carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. I will

spearhead the opposition to any such ordinance(s).

I also happen to be the Chairman of the Friends of the NRA this year, which

is the non-profit arm of the NRA. We raise money to provide funding for

our young people to promote shooting teams & gun safety throughout

Tennessee.

We have our annual banquet approaching. If you have an interest, please

respond to me through this email address.

Sincerely,

Robert Duvall

and then a lot of stuff about the banquet that i will not post. Wish I could go there, but I am going to be out of town that week.

Guest HexHead
whats honestly supriseing is the ones we didnt get a response from... and most were in town.

Megan Berry and Jerry Maynard are on my shiet list right now.... we need better representation on the council then these two.

I'm beginning to think some members of this forum need to start thinking about running for some of those seats.

Guest redbarron06

A couple of more talking points I mentioned when I wrote my councilmen and I will be listing these in letters that I deliver to the 2 places in my distrct that serve.

BAckground Whites Creek/Joelton area is pretty rual. Not real crowded. However using the Commercial Appeals data base I was able to find out that there are almost 700 HCP holders here.

Now that the state has returned to us the right of self defense, if the establishment or metro council tries to deny it I will be more than happy to take my money 15 minutes down the road into Goodlettsville, Hendersonville, or Ashland City. I will make sure that the establishment knows that the reason I no longer come in there and spend money once a week is because of this policy. Now I figure if the establishemnt dont want my money that is one thing but when the metro counsil tells the establishemnt it dont want my money that it is been getting for the last 8 years it is another. I am sure in out low density area many of the other 700+ hcp holders are going to do the same thing.

I'm beginning to think some members of this forum need to start thinking about running for some of those seats.

I'd be happy to sign your petition for office, as well as help you build a professional website for your campaign in the 35th district :dirty: Just tell me when and where to show up to sign :death:

Has anyone posted our delima on any of the "national" Firearm boards? Sig Forum has a thread going. - Wouldn't hurt to get some help from potential tourist on the issue... We should include the easy to use "E-mail All" form: Nashville.gov - Metro Council Feedback Form - Remind folks to be polite when they write.

Yes, I did so on Defensive Carry Forum and on Open Carry Forum:

Please Look! Tennessee Travel and Restaurant Carry - DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

I quoted JayC's post #48 (giving him credit by providing a link to his post). I also provided links to the final version of HB0962, the Nashville Convention and Visitors Bureau email, and Tennessee Tourism email.