Carry in WMA's bill HB 0961

In most cases I was geocaching and/or hiking. I was not hunting at any time. I don't even have a hunting liscense.

I did have a TWRA officer waiting for me one time when I returned from hunting a geocache on a WMA. He thought I was duck hunting on a day when that was not permitted. Without a shot gun I wonder if he thought I was throwing rocks at them. After I explained what I was doing there he was OK with it.

Yeah sure, I will have to remember that one, lol. Left the gun in the blind, huh. lol

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In most cases I was geocaching and/or hiking. I was not hunting at any time. I don't even have a hunting liscense.

I did have a TWRA officer waiting for me one time when I returned from hunting a geocache on a WMA. He thought I was duck hunting on a day when that was not permitted. Without a shot gun I wonder if he thought I was throwing rocks at them. After I explained what I was doing there he was OK with it.

LOL - we've had to explain geocaching to a few up here. Helped to show em the GPS (showing the cache location marked) and cache page. Maybe he thought the GPS was advanced electronic waterfowl attractor/locator?!?

This may be proven to be true, on all State owned WMA'S. Those WMA'S that are not State owned, but leased, such as some of the Federal parcels. Might have or does have different regs concerning just the handgun carry option.

True, but it's my understanding that there are only a few federal Forrest Service managed WMAs in TN. The vast majority are state owned and operated.

What does this mean exactly? How does a person know if they are allowed to be on the WMA? I have been on several WMA's and could have been breaking the law by being there and did not know it. Are there some WMA's where people are not allowed?

You should check with the TWRA... The vast majority are opened to the public nearly year round (a good number close to just hunters - with correct permit and/or quota permit - during certain parts of deer season for example).

There are a couple of WMAs which are closed to the public at this time (waterfowl wildlide refuges - I can't remember the name of one off the top of my head).

My suggestion is read the newest version of the hunting guide from the TWRA or call them but unless it's a federal Forrest Service managed WMA, if you can legally be there you can carry with a HCP.

Guest Muttling
You should check with the TWRA... The vast majority are opened to the public nearly year round (a good number close to just hunters - with correct permit and/or quota permit - during certain parts of deer season for example).

There are a couple of WMAs which are closed to the public at this time (waterfowl wildlide refuges - I can't remember the name of one off the top of my head).

My suggestion is read the newest version of the hunting guide from the TWRA or call them but unless it's a federal Forrest Service managed WMA, if you can legally be there you can carry with a HCP.

Yep. VERY few WMA's are off limits to the public during non-quota hunts. Many are even open for small game seasons when quota hunts aren't in progress.

One exception is Chuch Swan which is surrounded by Norris lake and only has one entrance. (I think.)

Another set of exceptions are the Oak Ridge WMA's which are on Department of Energy property. Oak Ridge has it's own set of rules for everything from off season periods to screening harvested animals for contamination at the check in station.

Most WMA's are like Catoosa and pretty open, but not all. Learn the rules specific to your WMA.

Edited by Muttling
  • 4 months later...

At long last, the Cherokee National Forest website clarifies the status of handgun possession within CNF...

May persons possessing handgun carry permits possess their handguns while in the Cherokee National Forest?

YES - Recent State legislative changes provide that individuals who possess a carry permit may possess their handgun while on Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) wildlife management areas, public hunting areas, or refuges open to hunter access. Because the Cherokee National Forest is managed under an agreement with the Forest Service, USDA and TWRA as a Wildlife Management Area this legislative change applies to the Cherokee National Forest. The handgun may not be used for taking game unless specifically permitted by TWRA regulation. For more information regarding this legislative change and related TWRA information please contact the TWRA at 1-800-332-0900 or visit their web site.

At long last, the Cherokee National Forest website clarifies the status of handgun possession within CNF...

May persons possessing handgun carry permits possess their handguns while in the Cherokee National Forest?

YES - Recent State legislative changes provide that individuals who possess a carry permit may possess their handgun while on Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) wildlife management areas, public hunting areas, or refuges open to hunter access. Because the Cherokee National Forest is managed under an agreement with the Forest Service, USDA and TWRA as a Wildlife Management Area this legislative change applies to the Cherokee National Forest. The handgun may not be used for taking game unless specifically permitted by TWRA regulation. For more information regarding this legislative change and related TWRA information please contact the TWRA at 1-800-332-0900 or visit their web site.

I'm glad they finally did. Thanks for posting that.

Yes thanks for posting this. I checked the website before camping in Citico Creek Wilderness (Cherokee National Forest) the weekend following New Year's Eve and found this on their website, and was meaning to update it here, but you know what they say about good intentions:)