Everyone Please Contact the Metro Davison Council regarding plan to ban carry!

Guest HexHead

Guest HexHead
we will...

If we all stand together, In the future, the 2nd amendment will be on every polititians mind.

Every TGO member needs to use this link....

Nashville.gov - Metro Council Feedback Form

to let Metro Council know how you feel about their attempt to disregard the new State law. Even if you don't live in Nashville, tell them how it'll effect your travel or vacation plans. They seem to value tourists more than residents these days anyway.

Use the pulldown menu to send to ALL MEMBERS of the Council.

This is important guys, let's preserve the hard won victory of just yesterday.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
Hex, I'm copying your above post into a new thread so that folks will pay attention and take action as you've suggested.

Thanks David. But could you change the header to everyone? I think letting them know that they will lose tourist dollars from out of town visitors will resonate with them more.

Edited by HexHead

Contact made. Here's what I wrote:

I read in the Tennessean that there was an effort being organized to circumvent the new firearms in restaurants law in the Nashville area. It concerns me that you would want to disregard the wishes of the majority of the people of Tennessee. Although the news media and the governor would have us believe otherwise, every poll I have seen on this topic clearly shows that the majority of the people support the carrying of firearms in restaurants. I don't understand the political motivation for this and wonder why you would want to drive business from your community. My wife and I both hold Tennessee Handgun Carry Permits and plan trips to Nashville at least twice each year to enjoy concerts or shows in local establishments. We don't drink alcohol in restaurants or bars and having a handgun has no bearing on that choice. We go for the food or the music. As we tend to stay in downtown hotels and walk to and from our destinations, our safety in Nashville has always been a concern. It appears that you want that to continue to be a concern. If I have a choice of visiting a city where I can feel safe by being armed or visiting a city where I feel exposed to criminal activity, I'll choose the city where I can go armed. I hope you will consider the consequences of this effort before enacting local laws that will make Nashville less attractive to potential vistors. Food and music are available in many cities throughout this state.

I just submitted my feedback less than an hour ago, and got a very positive response from Duane Dominy already. Wasn't sure if i should paste in his response. But he is, without a doubt, one of us :biglol:

Guest rockytop

I have just emailed the Council members the following message.

Subject: HB 962

I am not a resident of your city/county, but travel there frequently. It appears that you(#9) are trying to get ahead of Memphis(#2). Please do not attempt to pass discrimatory legislation to cripple my 2nd. Amendent right to protect myself and my family. If you circumvent the Tennessee State law on "Handguns in Restaurants", I will not enter Davidson County unless absolutely necessary and WILL NOT SPEND ONE RED CENT ON: LODGING, GAS, ENTERTAINMENT, OR FOOD WHILE THERE.

This is what I wrote

I have heard from multiple sources that some council members are going to try to pass an ordinance to ban the firearms in restaurants in the metro area after is was made legal by the great state of Tennessee.

I do not agree with this in any way. Why would someone take it upon them self to override a state law before it is given a chance? I personally find it very insulting. I have lived in Davidson County all my life. I currently own land and live in Goodlettsville. My wife and I shop and dine in the Goodlettsville and Nashville area for most of our needs and this will effect us both. I have my permit to carry a handgun and my wife is about to take the steps to get hers. Our family's safety comes before anything else.

A restaurant or business has always had the ability to ban guns on their premises, and I will and have always respected their wishes. It is there choice after all. To force it on all businesses and their customers is uncalled for and a overly controlling. It takes away a right given to law abiding citizens our state has seen fit to give us.

Please understand, permit holders are not criminals. We possess a permit because we have a clean record and have taken then necessary training required by the state.

Guest redbarron06

I live near the county line in Joelton area and spent more than an hour last night writing my council member. I told him that in no uncertain terms that if the council passes this back door gun ban that I and many of the other 600+ HCP holders in the Joleton/Whites Creek area will be going over the county line to spend our money. I also made sure that he understood that the buisnesses that I could have been spending money on will know that it is the fault of the council that they no longer have my buisness.

Guest sstouder

SEN Jackson is defending us once again:

Tygard and three other council members — Megan Barry, Jerry Maynard and Carter Todd — sponsored the proposed ordinance, which is meant to thwart a state law that lets handgun permit holders take their weapon into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol starting July 14.

Tygard said he’d introduced the measure to allow a debate to take place on whether to allow guns in the approximately 1,500 Nashville establishments that have a beer permit.

“I do not profess to know what the issues the governor and the state legislature considered with their actions,” Tygard said in an email to council members. “I do know that this is an issue that many people are apparently passionate about — on both sides of the issue.”

By filing today, Tygard puts the measure on track for a first reading at the council’s June 16 meeting. A vote on the matter could take place by the end of July.

The state law’s sponsor, Sen. Doug Jackson, said in a statement that the Metro proposal is illegal.

“The proposed ordinance is clearly not the correct approach and is barred by state law,” Jackson said. “State law presently gives the restaurant owner the choice to prohibit handguns by posting proper signage.”

Guest pws_smokeyjones
I just submitted my feedback less than an hour ago, and got a very positive response from Duane Dominy already. Wasn't sure if i should paste in his response. But he is, without a doubt, one of us :confused:

I got a response from Duane as well. Most likely the same one you did. At least he is on the right side of this. I also send Mr. Tygard an email asking if I could meet with him in person to discuss this, or maybe meet with the council at some point. I don't even know if that is procedurally possible, but if it is I think it is important to get some info directly to them that is not tainted and spun by the Tennessean, Jimmy Naifeh or News Channel 5.

here's what I wrote

Please do not place a county ban on letting people with handgun carry permits carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. Guns and alcohol will not be mixing, this law did not change that. It does not allow people to drink while armed, it merely allows them to be in the same restaurant. If restaurants do not want people carrying in their building let them post it. But please do not put out a blanket ban. And yes I understand you are worried about tourism, but don't forget your responsibilities are to the residents of Nashville who elect you.

Guest KWW67

Here is mine ........I was born in Nashville and am now a resident just outside Davidson County, I travel VERY frequent to businesses in the Nashville city limits. But please be advised that if ANY attempt to override state gun laws are attmpted, I will drive out of my way to Mt.Juliet, Lebanon, Murfreesboro, Gallatin or ANY other city more respectful of citizen's rights to do my business. And if I can't find it there, I will order it off the Internet just to keep from coming to Nashville. I still have and visit much family in Nashville and will even go so far as to fill up my car before I reach the county line to keep from spending one red cent in your county. I am ashamed at this attempt. With Nashville's crime rate so high (according to the FBI), I would think you would not have a problem with good people who act responsible. Which means thugs will continue to go about their business as usual. Anyone supporting this ban should be ashamed of themselves and removed from office. EVERY statewide poll in existence has been for this right to carry and maybe you should do some homework before acting rash. This knee jerk reaction is nothing more than an attempt to appease the restaurant owners, or should I say campaign donors. This action had better be thought about long and hard as it will likely be ruled illegal and cost the taxpayers many dollars when cities are in great need of money. 36 other states have this law and Tennessee, now Nashville, has become a laughing stock among those states and others and is being portrayed as a bunch of uneducated, paranoid hicks. The people have spoken and this embarrassment should be stopped at once. If the resturant owner does not want it, let them post it. Otherwise, they are letting Metro do their dirty work at taxpayer expense!!! Stop embarrassing Nashville and this great state. Your police chief has already done that job for you!

Message I sent:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am deeply concerned over reports over efforts by some in the Nashville area to circumvent Tennessee House Bill 962, which allows those with firearms permits to legally enter restaurants which happen to be serving alcohol.

As a long-time Tennessee resident, a retied Solder, and a frequent visitor to Nashville, I was pleased to learn that "we the people" were heard by our elected representatives, who helped grant th right of responsible firearms owners to carry in restaurants.

I regularly bring my family to shop in Nashville, and have always been uneasy having to leave my firearm in my car in order to enter a restaurant to dine. The fact is that some in the media have been sensationalizing this issue, and claiming that it will somehow place our citizens in danger.

This new law simply allows me to enjoy a meal with my family after shopping, without leaving my weapon in the parking lot, where it is far more likely to end up in the wrong hands.

I urge each of you not to fall victim to alarmist views on this issue. Nashville will NOT become the late nineteenth century caricature of the old 'wild west,' as some alarmists have attempted to portray.

Please rest assured that we Tennesseans, as well as out of state visitors to Nashville, who have voluntarily undergone police background checks and firearms training to obtain our firearms carry permits will abide by the law.

In the end, visitors to Nashville will see that Tennesseans are responsible and law-abiding, and that we enjoy the constitutional rights our nation was founded on.

Respectfully,

Bryan G

First Sergeant (Retired)

Guest pws_smokeyjones

BryanG

Sir that was an excellent letter. Well done. I will be interested to see if you get any responses.

Heres what I wrote.....

---------------------------------------------

Dear Council Members,

Let me start by introducing myself. My name is Phillip Arrington, I am a resident of Nashville and have lived here my whole life. My wife is Nancy Arrington. In the past I have been a local police officer for several different counties and municipalitys. I am currently a firearms instructor and have been licensed as such by the State of Tennessee for 15 years. Both of us are business owners in Nashville. I am also a merchant, President of my Neighborhood Association, and some even call me a community leader.

First I want to thank you all for your service on our cities council. However there is something that is bothering me greatly. As most of you know the state legislature overwhelmingly passed into law bills that will allow Handgun Permit holders the right to carry into restaurants that sell alcohol for onsite consumption. Governor Bredesen unsuccessfully attempted to veto these resolutions and again they passes by an overwhelming majority.

Since these bills have passed the citizens of our great city have heard rumors that some of OUR elected officials in the Metro Council have decided to go against our will and attempt to circumvent our new state law and constitutional rights. Passing some kind of resolution by tampering with the beer laws the Legislature gave you jurisdiction over. These actions are unacceptable. Why would you allow the will of the people that elected you to be denied?

I'd like to also point out this possible action will violate TCA 39-17-1314 which specifically forbids local municipality's from regulating the possession and carrying of firearms. Your actions would in fact attempt firearms regulation.

What you might not know or understand is handgun permit holders have to complete and pass background checks to be able to purchase a handgun. Handgun permit holders also have to pass extensive TBI, FBI, Local, and International background checks to be able to legally carry their handguns. In order to pass these background checks they can have NO ALCOHOL related arrests in the last 5-10 years. So were not dealing with a bunch of drunks that's going to break the law. These are the best and most law abiding of our citizens. How many of you or your fellow council members have handgun carry permits? Do you trust them? If so then why not your constituents? Handgun Permit holders have been legally carrying handguns everywhere except these restaurants for 15 years with little to no negative instances caused by these permit holders.

I wonder if those that have been murdered in or around these restaurants had a voice in this discussion would they agree with your attempted actions? Let me give you just a few examples off the top of my head. Do any of you remember or know who Paul Reid is? He's a mass serial killer that preyed on Middle Tennessee Restaurants back in 1997. He was convicted of at least 7 deaths but was suspected of many more. Who can forget the young people killed in the execution-style murders at Bellacino's Pizza here in Nashville back in 2007? Do you remember the robbery and murder of O'Charleys manager Nadir Bahmanziari just last year? How about the latest, stalker and murderer Hank Wise ambushed and killed Ben Goeser at Johnny's Sports Bar, here in Nashville, on April 2, 2009. His widow Nikki was on the Senate floor when they voted to override the Governors veto. What some of you may not know is Ben and Nikki Goeser had a Handgun Carry Permits but chose to be law abiding citizens and left their firearms in their vehicle. They wanted to carry for protection but legally couldn't and chose to obey the law. They weren't drinking that night, they simply were there for karaoke. They both had extensive firearms training and knew what the stalker Hank Wise looked like. If one of them had been armed Ben would have at least had a chance to live. Instead poor Nikki had to watch her husband get gunned down and murdered by a criminal. She had time to call 911 before shots were fired, so where were the police? Btw, what law stopped Hank Wise from bringing his illegal gun into the bar? Nothing... criminals don't bother worrying about laws or signs, then never have and never will.

The legislature gave business owners that don't want to participate in this legal activity the right to opt out by placing legal signage on their business entrances. I personally don't have a problem with that? Some will post, but statistics show most wont, they don't want too or want to alienate a certain legal class of citizens. Citizens that have been deemed safe... citizens with $$$$. They realize those persons have been eating in other restaurants like Wendy's and Capt. D's for many years with no problem. Do you realize how many the chain restaurants that are doing business in those other 37 states elected to not post signs? O'Charleys, Longhorn, Chilies, Logan's... But if you pass this type of resolution they will BE FORCED TO DO SO! Or they will simply choose not to serve beer. How is that fair?

Some will argue that the OPTIONAL signage will cause certain merchants to lose business. This is simply untrue, and no matter what resolution you pass the signage by law will have to be properly posted to be legal. How is all this going to be enforced anyway? Let the will of the people prevail, let merchants have the option of opting out if they want and don't force this on the others that see there is nothing to fear.

In closing I'd like to point out the consequences if this type of circumvention on State law and our rights. Does anyone want Nashville to be labeled as "Anti Gun" or "2nd amendment unfriendly"... especially when so many of the counties that border us will refuse to share that label? In short, can you afford to ignore your constituents.. and the will of the people come election time. An anti 2nd amendment brand is something that will stay with you politically for your entire career. How much revenue will the city lose because of this councils possible action? Don't you think more and more people will just choose to eat out and spend their money right over the county line? Its happening right now, this will just make it worse. Will any pro 2nd amendment group ever darken our doors or any convention center we build? Hunting, Fishing, outdoors... Can the city afford to fight an extensive legal fight with the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment groups? Do you really think the legislature of our great state will let these possible action go unnoticed and not close this loophole at the earliest possible moment?

As you know 37 other states, most that border Tennessee, already allow their permit holders to carry into these establishments where alcohol is served. Again they have had no negative instances where the permit holder did anything wrong. So why would the Metro council not trust their law abiding constituents?

Please don't even entertain any notion of violating the State law and our rights as citizens of the State of Tennessee and these United States. The citizens of Atlanta, Georgia are trusted with this right and have been for some time, why will you not trust us? Crime in Atlanta's restaurants has actually dropped since they adopted this legislation.

Please don't take part in any attempt to deny us our rights that God, our Constitution, and our State Legislature have granted us as Tennesseans.

Thank you for your time and attention,

Phillip Arrington

Goodlettsville, Tn 37072

615-*******