brass getting stuck in the dies

Guest mudduck

Guest mudduck

ok i just started to deprime my 9mm brass and the first 50 went fine than about every 3rd round is getting stuck in the deprimming die,i am not sure why any help would be great,i have tried resetting the dies a dozen times and it still happens?????

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using carbide resizing dies? They should not need case lube, but if you are using older non-carbide dies you will need to lube the cases.

I always used carbide dies and never had a problem. I have read that some people use a little lube even if they are using carbide dies.

One thing you might check is the size of the flash hole. I did have one brand of brass that had a flash holes so small that the depriming pin would get stuck in it. You might try resizing a few without the depriming pin and see if that it the problem.

Idaho

Make life easier on you and your dies. Get a Lee universal decapper and deprime anything and everything with that before tumbling clean. That way you get your pockets scrubbed in the tumbler as well and your not dirtying up your resizing dies. Tumble clean and then check if any need trimming, hit your primer pockets for residue with a pocket cleaner. Do all that before resizing and it will go much easier for you. Get a can of Imperial sizing wax and just "swipe" your finger across the wax and rub it on the case neck and upper body, resize to spec and wipe it off when you pull it out. Your ready to prime and throw powder.

Clean your dies out every so often with a nylon brush and clean clothe with some clp once in a while then swab till clean to get any buildup out of the die.

Guest mudduck

they are carbide dies and i even tried lubing them but they still got stuck,but i finnally figured it out,the set screw for the ram where it goes in to the shell plate was loose,wow what a streesful 30 min trying to figure out what was wrong,thanks for the responses,i will look into the decapper and desizer,i think that would be alot easier to do than run them through the press and then clean them and run them through again to load, thanks again

Make life easier on you and your dies. Get a Lee universal decapper and deprime anything and everything with that before tumbling clean. That way you get your pockets scrubbed in the tumbler as well and your not dirtying up your resizing dies.

That's what I do ... works great!