Guest Phantom6
I can't believe somebody is asking this question. You are going to work for a company, you are bound by their rules. If you feel the rules are illegal or unfair, don't work for the company! There is no consitutional right for any of us to work for any company! If emphasizing your 2dA rights is that important to you, I think you better acquire independent wealth real quick or learn to go without eating. My rights are important to me, but feeding my family and keeping my job ranked up there in first place! I spent 30 years on active duty in the Marine Corps and every base I was ever on was a "gun free" zone, unless you were on duty and in the work area. I then spent 18 years teaching High School and you know the rules there. I'm retired now, but I still follow "group" rules wherever I am.

Then Parrothead Responded:-->

sorry i asked. i realize that i am new here and i am also new to having my permit. I just wanted to verify the rules in this situation. I am not trying to go against the rules or challenge company policy. I had heard of a bill that was presented which would make these laws illegal in TN (has they are in many other states.) Just trying to learn and get the rules right

I wouldn't worry too much about it Parrothead 'cause that response to your simple question was just about the largest load of horse manure I've read in a while. God bless wjh2657 for his service but sometimes folks just spend too much time doing the same thing and the edge is knocked off. "Herd mentality" can set in. You know, "don't step out of line or make waves." "Keep your head down and you'll get your retirement." I never knew a member of any service that began their military life on the enlisted side of the house that did not live by the admonition to "adapt and overcome". Psst- that would not be following "group rules" but rather that would be making the best of a poor situation and making it work in your favor.

If you want to carry to work and then lock your pistol in your car while you are in the plant or in the office, as long as you are not driving a company car then I would say do it. As Mike.357 and others have advised, don't tell a soul and unless you are doing something that would lead to the demand for a search of your vehicle like stealing company property or making threatening phone calls to a public figure you should never have a problem- regardless of what the employee manual says. Understand however that if you are caught you are subject to the regulations set out by the company in your manual. It's kind of like speeding. If you get caught you you need to suck it up and deal with it. It's the FIDO principal (**** it, drive on).

I've carried a firearm in plenty of places that I shouldn't have but the old adage of being judged by 12 rather than being carried by six has been my guiding rule. If I had been discovered, well I'd have had to burn that bridge when I came to it. With regards to my company's policies and how I delt with them, I've always felt that while my job was important to not only myself but my family as well, I always felt it was better to live to work another day than to surrender my ability to defend myself to an employee manual.

That whole "group rules" thing is fine as long as the rules make sense. When they don't it's time to change the rules or operate outside of them for the safety and security of my family until a change can be affected. I guess I've never been much of one for "group rules" or herd mentality.

But, what do I know? I've never been out of work long enough to draw unemployment though I've been out of work a number of times because I wasn't willing to compromise my core beliefs.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JLowe

Then Parrothead Responded:-->

I wouldn't worry too much about it Parrothead 'cause that response to your simple question was just about the largest load of horse manure I've read in a while. God bless wjh2657 for his service but sometimes folks just spend too much time doing the same thing and the edge is knocked off. "Herd mentality" can set in. You know, "don't step out of line or make waves." "Keep your head down and you'll get your retirement." I never knew a member of any service that began their military life on the enlisted side of the house that did not live by the admonition to "adapt and overcome". Psst- that would not be following "group rules" but rather that would be making the best of a poor situation and making it work in your favor.

If you want to carry to work and then lock your pistol in your car while you are in the plant or in the office, as long as you are not driving a company car then I would say do it. As Mike.357 and others have advised, don't tell a soul and unless you are doing something that would lead to the demand for a search of your vehicle like stealing company property or making threatening phone calls to a public figure you should never have a problem- regardless of what the employee manual says. Understand however that if you are caught you are subject to the regulations set out by the company in your manual. It's kind of like speeding. If you get caught you you need to suck it up and deal with it. It's the FIDO principal (**** it, drive on).

I've carried a firearm in plenty of places that I shouldn't have but the old adage of being judged by 12 rather than being carried by six has been my guiding rule. If I had been discovered, well I'd have had to burn that bridge when I came to it. With regards to my company's policies and how I delt with them, I've always felt that while my job was important to not only myself but my family as well, I always felt it was better to live to work another day than to surrender my ability to defend myself to an employee manual.

That whole "group rules" thing is fine as long as the rules make sense. When they don't it's time to change the rules or operate outside of them for the safety and security of my family until a change can be affected. I guess I've never been much of one for "group rules" or herd mentality.

But, what do I know? I've never been out of work long enough to draw unemployment though I've been out of work a number of times because I wasn't willing to compromise my core beliefs.

What he said. I live by the statement "No matter what, I'm going home to my family at the end of the day". One of the other rules to life is, if no one knows, then no one knows. Take your gun with you, lock it up in the trunk/glove box/vehicle lock box whatever while your at work and get it back out and into a proper place when you leave. Just because a company has a policy doesn't make it right or safe. You can always find another job (were looking for that one when you got it right?), but I can't always find another heart, lung, liver, head, family and so on. Its up to you to protect you and be a sheepdog amongst the sheeple.

Awesome questions Parrothead. I've had the same question on my mind for some time now and have wondered along those same lines you have. For now I carry. The owners of the company know but don't really seem bothered by the thought at all as our company, employees that is, have recently taken a strong pro-gun stance with one exception. And as long as we are careful not to "offend" that one exception then all is well. Political correctness sucks it but I'll do what I have to do to ensure that as I drive through the band lands of Nashville I'm protected.

Guest GatorsRule1976

I work for a Global company here locally in TN and had the same question. I contacted our local HR person to see if there were any rules against carrying. There was nothing mentioned in the employee handbook that I signed about this, but after about a week I finally got a response. She said she was uncertain and had to ask elsewhere to get the info. She advised that our company has a strict no carry rule...not even allowed to be locked in your car in the parking lot. Results...Termination if found carrying. My question is, if it's not stated in the Employee Handbook, HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW???????:D

I work for a Global company here locally in TN and had the same question. I contacted our local HR person to see if there were any rules against carrying. There was nothing mentioned in the employee handbook that I signed about this, but after about a week I finally got a response. She said she was uncertain and had to ask elsewhere to get the info. She advised that our company has a strict no carry rule...not even allowed to be locked in your car in the parking lot. Results...Termination if found carrying. My question is, if it's not stated in the Employee Handbook, HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW???????:D

if your "local branch" didn't even know that it was against the rules then how woudl they enforce them :rock:

HB1395

by Evans As introduced, prohibits employers from prohibiting persons possessing a handgun carry permit from transporting and storing a firearm out of sight in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for vehicles.

Action Def. in s/c Criminal Practice and Procedure of JUD to summer study 04/08/2009.

We won't hear any more about this bill until next session.

• Moderators
HB1395

by Evans As introduced, prohibits employers from prohibiting persons possessing a handgun carry permit from transporting and storing a firearm out of sight in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for vehicles.

Action Def. in s/c Criminal Practice and Procedure of JUD to summer study 04/08/2009.

We won't hear any more about this bill until next session.

Look for Fed Ex to be a problem here, They are already lobbying against it.

Guest stovepipe
I can't believe somebody is asking this question...

That's a helpful reply. Considering the inconsistencies and exceptions concerning permitted carry, it's reasonable to ask if there are exceptions to the "parking lot rule..."

Basically, if you've signed that you have read and agreed to the "handbook," then you are bound to follow the rules unless you want to risk loosing your job.

That said, unless you work for a large corporation, most handbooks are generically written by others and sold to a business as part of a HR package. In that the concept of permit holding employees are typically not considered, you could ask the owner of the company for an exemption, if you think they are approachable to the idea. I know several people, including myself, that have done this without a problem. I actually know a couple of people that are encouraged to carry in the office, as long as it's kept concealed from the other employees.

Edited by stovepipe